If, IF, we win the Scottish Cup this season, where would it rank?

I really don't know where your going with all this tbh

Re read everything me and allgers have said to each other - wage bill and resources doesn't matter? The fact we have 50 thousand something? I'm guessing fans? Means we have the edge? Football doesn't work that way

I'll repeat winning it will be our most special and romantic trophy ever but as for actual achievement it's nowhere near the top

It's doing a discredit to so many honours we've won

I've never said resources dont matter. Not once. They do. Which is why we are the most succesful club in the country and the club who are next in line finacially are the 2nd most succesful.

Its not discrediting any other honours whatsoever. We are in the third tier after the majority of the country wanted us put out the game completely and a surprising number of fans of other clubs were willing to risk their own club to get their pound of flesh from Rangers. We lost tens of millions worth of talent because they decided they didn't fancy the fight and we had to bring in a much inferior set of replacements.

Not everyone recovers from circumstances like we are currently recovering from (Leeds being the prime example in recent years) but less than 2 years after they tought they had killed us off we are a few games away from winning yet another Scottish Cup.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never said resources dont matter. Not once. They do. Which is why we are the most succesful club in the country and the club who are next in line finacially are the 2nd most succesful.

Its not discrediting any other honours whatsoever. We are in the third tier after the majority of the country wanted us put out the game completely and a surprising number of fans of other clubs were willing to risk their own club to get their pound of flesh from Rangers. We lost tens of millions worth of talent because they decided they didn't fancy the fight and we had to bring in a much inferior set of replacements.

Not everyone recovers from circumstances like we are currently recovering from (Leeds being the prime example in recent years) but less than 2 years after they tought they had killed us off we are a few games away from winning yet another Scottish Cup.

I don't actually disagree with you it's just a matter of opinion on perspective

:lol: I can see your debating skills are at an advanced level....post counting? Really? I could go back and go over each reply but I really don't care enough! As I tried to say to you a few posts ago (I'm sure you can identify the exact number) each to their own!

No , I just clicked the wee bit where it shows how many posts have been made in the thread by each poster. So, why are you keeping at it if you;ve already voiced your opinion? Are you trying to convince people you are right?

:lol: I can see your debating skills are at an advanced level....post counting? Really? I could go back and go over each reply but I really don't care enough! As I tried to say to you a few posts ago (I'm sure you can identify the exact number) each to their own!

Surely what you two are disagreeing about is just splitting hairs chaps .I just keep imagining ever bear running about the Scumdome with smiles on their faces and holding up the prized trophy .Its going to be like a European cup if we win it in my eyes .Believe every hater and beggar lover in this Country will be gutted if this happens .Sorry if I'm getting carried away but I've not felt as good for ages .A beggar from work phoned me yesterday to say to me " I hope we get you guys and hammer you 5/6nothing .Its so good that I can't get him on the phone now .Roll on Albion fucking Rovers :-)))

(tu) good post.

gotta disagree with Lawman too, I don't think we are in a position to be saying we "should" be winning this cup.

Right now there are two teams in it that have already given us heavy defeats in the past 18 months, and the team that just put out the clear favorites.

I would say right now, we are still only maybe 3rd to 4tf favorites to win this, we SHOULD be winning nothing ( to assume that is very very arrogant) We COULD win it and we MIGHT win it.

I dont think we will win it im afraid mate. My SHOULD refers to our wage bill and my belief that now that the other mhob are out, Ally doesnt have any excuses. Our football wage bill is probably 3 times the size of Aberdeens and all things being equal then we SHOULD win the Cup.

In my opinion, Aberdeen are the clear favourites and i think they will do a cup double. (tu)

I hope im wrong obviously. (tu)

Of course it would be incredibly satisfying but we've been hated for a long time (albeit it's got worse with our administration etc) so all the league wins I've experienced anyway have felt very satisfying as well.

You said it would be more important than anything we've won before and I just can't agree, our first league win back in the top flight yes probably.

Have you ever seen national newspapers participate in campaigns to see us put out of business?

What about fans of other clubs voting against the SPL share transfer despite the detrimental effects to their own club?

Have you seen clubs threatening to boycott their own team if we were allowed to continue playing?

I'm not saying any previous wins haven't been satisfying, most of them have been absolutely fucking fantastic but in terms of where we are just now as a club, the hurdles we've had to overcome in the last few years and the sheer hatred aimed at us from all corners winning the SC this season would send a message to the whole of Scotland and beyond.

Isn't a league just a league? No different to any other league win?

I dont think we will win it im afraid mate. My SHOULD refers to our wage bill and my belief that now that the other mhob are out, Ally doesnt have any excuses. Our football wage bill is probably 3 times the size of Aberdeens and all things being equal then we SHOULD win the Cup.

In my opinion, Aberdeen are the clear favourites and i think they will do a cup double. (tu)

I hope im wrong obviously. (tu)

Aberdeens wage bill is 5.25m. Theres no breakdown of players vs other staff however not including directors there is an average of 114 full time staff (players, coaches, scouts and other staff)

Have you ever seen national newspapers participate in campaigns to see us put out of business?

What about fans of other clubs voting against the SPL share transfer despite the detrimental effects to their own club?

Have you seen clubs threatening to boycott their own team if we were allowed to continue playing?

I'm not saying any previous wins haven't been satisfying, most of them have been absolutely fucking fantastic but in terms of where we are just now as a club, the hurdles we've had to overcome in the last few years and the sheer hatred aimed at us from all corners winning the SC this season would send a message to the whole of Scotland and beyond.

Isn't a league just a league? No different to any other league win?

All that is spot on, and don't get me wrong it would be up there with the best moments in our history, it would be a brilliant message to send and a great get it up ye moment.

I just don't think it would be more important than all our league wins, where we're fighting over a 38 game period against our hated rivals.

All that is spot on, and don't get me wrong it would be up there with the best moments in our history, it would be a brilliant message to send and a great get it up ye moment.

I just don't think it would be more important than all our league wins, where we're fighting over a 38 game period against our hated rivals.

Not every season was a straight out shootout between us and Celtic. Even during 9iar there were a good few seasons where they were no better than the rest of the dross Scottish football has to offer.

Our hated rivals tried to destroy us. To win the Cup (whist in the third tier) at their midden would give me more satisfaction than any league win over them. The 9 is the only one that comes close for me. Some of Smiths later wins were fantastic but we were still head and shoulders above everyone bar Celtic then. Now we have a team which in terms of the quality of player we have is nothing more than a middle of the table SPL side at best and now after everything else thats went on we could win the SC (along with the Ramsdens and L1)

Not every season was a straight out shootout between us and Celtic. Even during 9iar there were a good few seasons where they were no better than the rest of the dross Scottish football has to offer.

Our hated rivals tried to destroy us. To win the Cup (whist in the third tier) at their midden would give me more satisfaction than any league win over them. The 9 is the only one that comes close for me. Some of Smiths later wins were fantastic but we were still head and shoulders above everyone bar Celtic then. Now we have a team which in terms of the quality of player we have is nothing more than a middle of the table SPL side at best and now after everything else thats went on we could win the SC (along with the Ramsdens and L1)

They finished 5th in 93/94. I haven't got a pertinent point to make with that, just thought I'd throw it in there.

Our wage bill suggests otherwise (sorry TWB).

Football doesn't work like that. The team with the biggest wage bill got pumped out in the 5th round.

It actually does work like that, over a course

Unless you mean cup games in one off games? In which I agree but it also defeats your point as you could argue that if we won it our achievement was luck considering the draw/s rather than to do with being an outstanding romantic force

Our wage bill suggests otherwise (sorry TWB).

and?

Our wage bill was subject to tupe for several players (Wallace and Jig) being the main two.

At least one of, if not two, o our former Chief Executives were fucking abysmal at negotiating player contracts (see Fran Sandazas contract) Does a CEO being happy to give you big bucks make you a better footballer?

Gareth Bale is the most expensive footballer in the history of Football. Does that mean he's the best?

If we hadn't lost the traitors, which of the signings do you think we would have still made?

and?

Our wage bill was subject to tupe for several players (Wallace and Jig) being the main two.

At least one of, if not two, o our former Chief Executives were fucking abysmal at negotiating player contracts (see Fran Sandazas contract) Does a CEO being happy to give you big bucks make you a better footballer?

Gareth Bale is the most expensive footballer in the history of Football. Does that mean he's the best?

If we hadn't lost the traitors, which of the signings do you think we would have still made?

The likes of Bell, Law, Daly, Sandaza, Black, Shiels, Templeton etc were the best players at their SPL clubs.

Doubt most of them are good enough for a real title challenge but our squad should be more than good enough to finish 2nd.

The likes of Bell, Law, Daly, Sandaza, Black, Shiels, Templeton etc were the best players at their SPL clubs.

Doubt most of them are good enough for a real title challenge but our squad should be more than good enough to finish 2nd.

So they are similar to Aberdeen or ICT or any of the other premiership sides who have no real chance of a title challenge despite their wages.

So they are similar to Aberdeen or ICT or any of the other premiership sides who have no real chance of a title challenge despite their wages.

To an extent perhaps, still think we've got more quality than them overall as a squad, cup should certainly not be unthinkable.

Cup was no unthinkable at start of the season with our players and resources

Now its a reality

Now it can be a dream come true

It will be one of the most satisfying, in fact probably the most

But it's not comparable to some of our previous achievements

I think that's all I can say about it in nut shell

However please make it happen Gers

To an extent perhaps, still think we've got more quality than them overall as a squad, cup should certainly not be unthinkable.

I'm far from convinced. Templeton, Black, Shiels and Daly and even Law were hardly superstars in the top tier. Some good patches of form but nothing that would make me think they were indispensible when it came to us being in the top flight. I'd go as far as to say if we hadn't lost the traitors we'd only have seen one or two of them at the club. (Templeton & Law)