Wottes this then

robg58

The right DoF (which in my opinion, is a "chief scout" and player acquisitions manager), at the very least, could put an end to the lazy and out-of-date habit of signing old (close to retirement), slow, limited-mobility players on big wages, who typically have negligible (or zero) sell-on prospects to English clubs.

Miller is the only older player who is an exception -- he has retained much of his speed and mobility, albeit with a minor reduction in speed. The reduction is marginal though and he can still contribute meaningfully in my opinion. His only weakness is his predilection for hamstring injuries.

This new model is for a club that actually wants to play some entertaining football that also wins. And not just so-called "winning football" that is brutal to watch and that doesn't even win "big games".

Why the fuck do we need a director of football? A manager with half a clue how to pick a team must be the first priority. All this director of football pish is just the emperors new clothes. Struth, Shankly, Busby, Ferguson, Clough all seemed to be able to make a club gel and put a winning team on the park, what really has changed in the game in the last 50 years that we need someone to tell the manager what to do? What has mark wotte really done? No much as far as i can see.

Why the fuck do we need a director of football? A manager with half a clue how to pick a team must be the first priority. All this director of football pish is just the emperors new clothes. Struth, Shankly, Busby, Ferguson, Clough all seemed to be able to make a club gel and put a winning team on the park, what really has changed in the game in the last 50 years that we need someone to tell the manager what to do? What has mark wotte really done? No much as far as i can see.

Sigh.

Back then it WAS different where money wasnt god.

A good technical DOF can implement a long term strategy from everything to tactics and youth development. They can be in charge in the daily running of a global scouting network taking pressure of the manager.

None of this would matter though with our current clown in charge. He needs people with a nickname around him.

Sigh.

Back then it WAS different where money wasnt god.

A good technical DOF can implement a long term strategy from everything to tactics and youth development. They can be in charge in the daily running of a global scouting network taking pressure of the manager.

None of this would matter though with our current clown in charge. He needs people with a nickname around him.

sigh

long term? We dont get the finger out pronto there might no be a long term. Again why do we need a guy on £100k+ who if all is going well will take the credit and who if it falls to bits will fuck off and claim the players were at fault? Maybe i missed something here but what exactly did wotte do that made his stay at the national team so successful?

Sigh indeed

edited to include :

Tactics - manager?

youth development - youth team coaching staff?

Global scouting network? C'mon be serious man

A lot of the work with the youths at Hearts was done before Levein jumped on board! So I fail to see, this early on, just how his appointment has changed things?

thats kind of my point, levein is now taking the plaudits when basically the set up was there and hes turned up. To me the manager is the one who sets the first team squad up, sets his backroom team and tells his youth team coaches the style that he wants them to play and most importantly the manager carries the can when it all goes wrong. So for me a director of football is just another wage going out the door

Not sure what exactly the DOF role in all of this would be and im pretty sure our current management team are against any kind of DOF especially when it comes to making team decisions.That said something has to be done as the football which is being turned out now is absolute shit.Its dated,slow,predictable and needs changed dramatically.Im not saying this would change with a DOF but one things for sure what we have now is not working if a team like Alloa can give us 2 of a start and still come back and beat us FFS.

As far as a salary for a possible DOF goes get rid of one of the 2 wise monkeys who sit next to AM in the dugout and theres your salary for your DOF if the club decided to go down that road.