A midlands view of Billy Davies

SomeGaveAll

During his latest stint at the City Ground this interest in video technology took a slightly sinister turn, involving the covert filming of journalists at Forest press conferences. Or at least those he had not already barred. Only the club website and a regional television station seemed safe from Davies' enthusiasm for blanket media bans, as Forest morphed into "the Midlands' answer to North Korea".

If a run of eight games without a win, culminating in Saturday's 5-0 defeat at Derby, finally prompted Fawaz Al-Hasawi to dismiss Davies while preparing to find another manager to re-ignite Forest's play off ambitions, trouble had been brewing for some time.

Long-serving club staff were sacked without explanation, while Jim Price, Davies' cousin and agent, joined Forest in a senior role. After being suspended as a solicitor, Price was barred from taking up an official role as a director because he would not have passed the Football League's fit and proper person test.

Davies became embroiled in ludicrous rows with photographers during games at Millwall, Brighton and Barnsley. But Al-Hasawi's patience really started wearing thin when the Kuwaiti owner became engaged in a disagreement over transfer market policy with a manager who had spent £9m since his return in February 2013.

If a five-game touchline ban imposed for using abusive language to a match official after a 2-2 draw at home to Leicester in February – (although Davies denied making physical contact with Anthony Taylor, the referee, in the tunnel but lost his appeal against the last three fixtures of that suspension heard by the FA ) – hardly helped his cause, a recent refusal to talk to the media for "legal reasons" finally appeared to raise red flags in the boardroom.

Davies' obsession with conspiracy theories and old grudges was starting to grate – possibly even among a group of players containing several huge admirers of a Glaswegian who will begin life at any new club watching from the stands while he serves the final three games of his touchline exclusion order.

Despite being hampered by a series of injuries to key personnel, including the at times brilliant Andy Reid, there was a sense that Forest were starting to surrender too easily while acquiring far too many unnecessary enemies. The tunnel altercation with Taylor precipitated Davies' second banishment from the dugout this season following a brush with Craig Pawson, another referee, in August.

Negotiations with Neil Warnock – who would have seemed like football's answer to Kofi Annan compared with Davies – hit a glitch last night, with Gary Brazil, the academy manager, in temporary charge for Tuesday night's match against Charlton.

Heard all of these stories before. I know all about what went on at Foresr but I don't think that detracts from the fact he has a very solid record in football management. I also don't think he would behave the same way at Rangers.

During his latest stint at the City Ground this interest in video technology took a slightly sinister turn, involving the covert filming of journalists at Forest press conferences. Or at least those he had not already barred. Only the club website and a regional television station seemed safe from Davies' enthusiasm for blanket media bans, as Forest morphed into "the Midlands' answer to North Korea".

If a run of eight games without a win, culminating in Saturday's 5-0 defeat at Derby, finally prompted Fawaz Al-Hasawi to dismiss Davies while preparing to find another manager to re-ignite Forest's play off ambitions, trouble had been brewing for some time.

Long-serving club staff were sacked without explanation, while Jim Price, Davies' cousin and agent, joined Forest in a senior role. After being suspended as a solicitor, Price was barred from taking up an official role as a director because he would not have passed the Football League's fit and proper person test.

Davies became embroiled in ludicrous rows with photographers during games at Millwall, Brighton and Barnsley. But Al-Hasawi's patience really started wearing thin when the Kuwaiti owner became engaged in a disagreement over transfer market policy with a manager who had spent £9m since his return in February 2013.

If a five-game touchline ban imposed for using abusive language to a match official after a 2-2 draw at home to Leicester in February – (although Davies denied making physical contact with Anthony Taylor, the referee, in the tunnel but lost his appeal against the last three fixtures of that suspension heard by the FA ) – hardly helped his cause, a recent refusal to talk to the media for "legal reasons" finally appeared to raise red flags in the boardroom.

Davies' obsession with conspiracy theories and old grudges was starting to grate – possibly even among a group of players containing several huge admirers of a Glaswegian who will begin life at any new club watching from the stands while he serves the final three games of his touchline exclusion order.

Despite being hampered by a series of injuries to key personnel, including the at times brilliant Andy Reid, there was a sense that Forest were starting to surrender too easily while acquiring far too many unnecessary enemies. The tunnel altercation with Taylor precipitated Davies' second banishment from the dugout this season following a brush with Craig Pawson, another referee, in August.

Negotiations with Neil Warnock – who would have seemed like football's answer to Kofi Annan compared with Davies – hit a glitch last night, with Gary Brazil, the academy manager, in temporary charge for Tuesday night's match against Charlton.

You're a Motherwell/Rangers fan in that order you want McCall to manage Rangers because you feel sorry for your ex Boss. I'm a Rangers fan and would prefer Davies. Am giving you the benefit of the doubt that Rangers are your big team btw.

I would prefer to see mccall for 1 reason, he is by far a better coach /manager.

Davies and his 5 sacking from 6 says it all. I dont want any friend of sheridan any where near my club, as for your refernce to Motherwell yes I am a Lanarkshire blue nose and I have read local papers regarding McCall and know he is by far a better choice. I should know I watched davies getting kicked out of fir park.

I rest my case

ha ha, ok quincy What had Davies done above the expectations set regarding finace. Or should I put it simpler what has davies done without a budget? As that is the manager we need. As incase you have forgotten, or purse is very much closed.

Anyone else find it strange that all these new posters are appearing to bad mouth Davies?

Noticed that myself.

He'd be a massive improvement on McCoist, although tbf so would Mister Maker but I think it's amusing how he's being slated for being a shagger, like folk on here wouldn't do anything like that.

Noticed that myself.

He'd be a massive improvement on McCoist, although tbf so would Mister Maker but I think it's amusing how he's being slated for being a shagger, like folk on here wouldn't do anything like that.

he never got sacked 5 times for being a shagger?

I admit am a bit biased towards Davies. Stuart MC

he never got sacked 5 times for being a shagger?

He got sacked 5 times cause he's fae Govan and he takes no shit (Copeland road primary) if am not mistaken. This is the job for Billy,would put everything he has into making Rangers better and although not against McColl I know in my heart what this would mean to Davies. Ask other managers who they think would be best suited for the job and I would be surprised if Davies did not top such a poll. Of course, I am biased my 2nd option would be Jimmy Calderwood. The reason we can discuss Davies at length is he has been doing it for a while and more often than not he has been succesful. One positive in this managerial discussion is the lack of critisism of Stuart McCall which I applaud.

I admit am a bit biased towards Davies. Stuart MC

He got sacked 5 times cause he's fae Govan and he takes no shit (Copeland road primary) if am not mistaken. This is the job for Billy,would put everything he has into making Rangers better and although not against McColl I know in my heart what this would mean to Davies. Ask other managers who they think would be best suited for the job and I would be surprised if Davies did not top such a poll. Of course, I am biased my 2nd option would be Jimmy Calderwood. The reason we can discuss Davies at length is he has been doing it for a while and more often than not he has been succesful. One positive in this managerial discussion is the lack of critisism of Stuart McCall which I applaud.

We both obviously rate success differently fella, those in the game rate budget against achievements. Allys record is magnificent on paper regarding winning two league championships but due to his player budget it is some what weakened.

Hence why Davies got the boot from 5 of his jobs, relatively successful but not in comparison with his budget hence why I think mccall is by far a better target.

On my opening post in this thread I quoted an article regarding Jim Price here is another quote from Davies relation

“I think the idea that Billy is an out-and-out Rangers man is a bit of a myth, I certainly don’t see why Billy couldn’t be a successful manager at Celtic or Rangers or wherever.”

One thing we can all agree on im sure, mccall would class himself a rangers man.