Why Not Take The Moral High Ground?

the_r_sole

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The details are irrelevant. All cultures are allowed (and need) their enemies. It's what the fabric of the state is built upon.

so you think it's ok for say, islamic extremists to target particular people, or even old adolf?

I think there are limits and extremes that modern society and peoples morals should set the line, not everything is acceptable - and the details are most definitely relevant

so you think it's ok for say, islamic extremists to target particular people, or even old adolf?

I think there are limits and extremes that modern society and peoples morals should set the line, not everything is acceptable - and the details are most definitely relevant

another straw man.

Did I say it was okay for islamic extremists to target particular people, or even old adolf?

I said it is okay for a society to celebrate historic events, such as the defeat of the enemy at the gates . Nothing there about hating other societies.

another straw man.

Did I say it was okay for islamic extremists to target particular people, or even old adolf?

I said it is okay for a society to celebrate historic events, such as the defeat of the enemy at the gates . Nothing there about hating other societies.

"The details are irrelevant. All cultures are allowed (and need) their enemies."

and the details are most definitely relevant

As I think my national anthems showed, the details are completely irrelevant. it can be the thunder of distant guns, or it can be throats getting slit. Our societies continue to celebrate and embrace these victories, so to try to paint Rangers Fans as somehow any worse is disingenuous.

but which particular battle are you talking about? I'm sure signing a song about killing black/jews/gays whatever would not be well received in modern society. and what does it have to do with a game of football?

This one is singled out over and over, not by me - and it's something that could easily be changed to stop us being singled out - its a song at a game of football, it's not a national anthem.

Every time there is anything mentioned about us we get this pish, we should be willing to adapt to lose the tag - again, it's down to us to change our own behaviour, it's just like being a grown up in society, sometimes you have to adjust your behaviour to get the most out of a situation.

morally I don't like singing about killing anyone at a game tbh - billy boys is a rousing tune, but the lyrics are dubious.

the anti sectarian bill makes some things a crime, it's down to interpretation, I would prefer to not have anything needing interpretation.

you made some interesting suggestions about the origins of the song, I was genuinely interested in that, but the context has changed, significantly and we can adapt

So why have Celtic FC not been charged by the SFA, as a consequence of a section of their supporters glorifying a terrorist organisation which does exatly that?

"The details are irrelevant. All cultures are allowed (and need) their enemies."

Yes, ALL cultures. even Islamic Extremists, and Nazis can have their songs too. As long as they stay within the same limits as the rest of us societies do, then they can get on with their singing.

But if they cross the line, then action is taken

Where is the line I hear you ask? That's my point. It is very far away from the simple national celebration of a rather uncontroversial historical fact.

So why have Celtic FC not been charged by the SFA, as a consequence of a section of their supporters glorifying a terrorist organisation which does exatly that?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM

I can't believe i've been accused of being a "taig" on here, it used to be them that were famous for the denials and deflections, seems half of you are happy to do the same when it suits

I am going to start a campaign to get "Old MacDonald had a farm" banned as it has been sung to me most of my life. Or in fact Mcdonalds for making my life hell as everyone spells my name wrong when I tell them it.

i am pure dead raging over it.

There is nothing wrong with admitting we have an issue, I bet you guys would roll up at an aa meeting and point out that wee john Paul had one more half than you so you don't really have a problem worth looking at until he sorts his problem...

I'd roll up wi a carry out,get pissed and batter wee john paul. Wee bheastly bastard.

I am going to start a campaign to get "Old MacDonald had a farm" banned as it has been sung to me most of my life. Or in fact Mcdonalds for making my life hell as everyone spells my name wrong when I tell them it.

i am pure dead raging over it.

Ring a ring a roses

A pocket full of poses

Atishoo, Atishoo

We all fall down

Let's all laugh at plague victims! :D

I DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM

I can't believe i've been accused of being a "taig" on here, it used to be them that were famous for the denials and deflections, seems half of you are happy to do the same when it suits

I never asked if you cared for them or not.

Im talking about our supporters and our club not being treated with parity before the law and the football authorities.

Or do you not care about that either?

PS Putting something in Caps Lock does not strengthen a weak argument.

I never asked if you cared for them or not.

Im talking about our supporters and our club not being treated with parity before the law and the football authorities.

Or do you not care about that either?

PS Putting something in Caps Lock does not strengthen a weak argument.

I don't think we need to wait for anyone else to be punished before we look at getting ourselves in order.

I am not offended by the content of songs, but we are constantly criticised for it - we can change that easily

I don't think we need to wait for anyone else to be punished before we look at getting ourselves in order.

I am not offended by the content of songs, but we are constantly criticised for it - we can change that easily

As has been pointed out to you, repeatedly, in this thread - no-one else is getting punished, only us