Playing Out From The Back

Brightside

Unfortunately there will be dinosaurs in the crowd who are accustomed to the way we have been playing football at ibrox for the last 15 years and will scream and shout at the keeper when the first goal is conceded through playing this way. In my opinion, if Mark Warburton was to say to Wes 'just punt it up the park when you're under pressure' then he would do this 5 times out of 10 to avoid putting himself at risk of making a mistake, and to me that totally defeats the purpose of the philosophy is we are punting it half the time.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a dinosaur mentality to hit it long if there is nothing on. Wes hit it long Friday night and released McKay up the wing and he also tried to pass it short and ended up giving it to the St Mirren player. If we draw Celtic/Aberdeen/Dundee Utd in a cup and he passes it right to their player's feet and they score and win the match are you saying you'll be applauding him for sticking to a philosophy? Sometimes you need to just kick it long and play the percentages rather than trying to play it short and lose goals and games.

The side is still gelling. They have been together less than 2 months.

MW knows how he wants us to play and it is from the back. We may lose some silly goals while waiting for it all to come together but who gives a shit.

What a difference from the disaster that was Ally and clipboard.

It's not a dinosaur mentality to hit it long if there is nothing on. Wes hit it long Friday night and released McKay up the wing and he also tried to pass it short and ended up giving it to the St Mirren player. If we draw Celtic/Aberdeen/Dundee Utd in a cup and he passes it right to their player's feet and they score and win the match are you saying you'll be applauding him for sticking to a philosophy? Sometimes you need to just kick it long and play the percentages rather than trying to play it short and lose goals and games.

It's dinosaur mentality to scream and shout at the goal keeper when it goes wrong even though he is under instruction to do this. He did go long a few times on Friday but it was at the perfect time, when we had drawn St Mirren right in then when he hit it long, Walsh ended up in behind their defence.

It's dinosaur mentality to scream and shout at the goal keeper when it goes wrong even though he is under instruction to do this. He did go long a few times on Friday but it was at the perfect time, when we had drawn St Mirren right in then when he hit it long, Walsh ended up in behind their defence.

It was just a long hit out wide like any keeper hits, it wasn't any great tactical plan about drawing them in from what I could see. Play it short when you can, but sometimes he's playing it short when the ball isn't on or he's been put under severe pressure by a backpass and because he's probably been told to keep it short he does. Better teams will take advantage of that so I hope it is sorted out and there is a happy medium between 'dominating the ball' and not having a heart attack when he wants to play football when we are all marked up.

Good OP. I think we're going to have to get used to it, and accept the odd clanger will come our way.

Overall, I love the play from the back as much as humanly possible approach.

I think Warburton is a lot smarter than 'play the percentages' suggests. I already am hearing the Bein Sport (that's how I watch from Melbourne) commentators saying 'Predictably Rangers playing the short ball out from defence.' Of course other teams are observing this and instructing their forwards to press. I expect Warburton will have directed Wes to sometimes look for the over the top ball and leave the pressing forwards in a no man's land of indecision over time. The long ball that released Walsh against St Mirren looked an example of this to me. I think Warburton is all over this.

This was discussed as part of another thread, and seemed worthy of its own discussion.

" Foderingham went short with his distribution 74% of the time & Rangers turned that into possession in St. Mirrens half 88% of the time. Ridgers relied on a long ball 100% of the time & Rangers were able to gain control of the ball 74% of the time." from therangersreport.com

Wes playing it out short appears risky at times but I think it has many advantages including increased possession, possession in more dangerous areas, pulling the opposition out of their normal positions (especially good at Ibrox, where teams tend to sit in against us) and it's entertaining/heart attack inducing!

Sounds a bit obvious this, but if you were manager of the opposition would you not just press higher up the pitch so we couldn't play it out from the back.

playing it short and retaining possesion is playing the percentages , look at brightside's stats too confirm that

no doubt we will loose the odd goal or two. but I believe and looks like the team believe that playing from the back is only going to benefit the team and create scoring chances. if we take more of those chances there wont be a problem so our forwards need to up the anti and start sticking the ball in the net. and it is much better to watch. keep up the good work bears.

While I appreciate the thinking and concepts about playing it out from the back ( and really welcome them) - if we are to get back to really high levels there are times when defending a lead is part of the art, and skill, of a good side. Good possession play is, of course, part of that skill but also knowing when you are under to much pressure / risk and getting the ball clear / row z is the right thing to do ( and allows you to regroup) It's a balancing act but all Good teams know how to defend, defend well and defend a lead to close out a game - I hope we, and MW, appreciate that.

We are only a few competitive games into the season give the guys time to work at this new system and im sure everyone will feel more comfortable on the ball including Wes. I don't think there will be many keepers in the world who feel 100% comfortable with the ball at their feet and opposition players charging down at them never mind Wes so its not just him.MW has stated that they do a lot more work now with the ball as he says they want to dominate the ball.Lets not hit the panic button and start flapping as im pretty sure W&W know what they are doing and we have to show understanding and patience in these guys and let them do the job they were brought to the club to do.

I think things will improve as the team get more coherent.

We will lose a few goals over the course due to this no doubt, however if we keep working hard and creating chances we should outscore every team in this league comfortably.

I love the new style MW has introduced, its also worth pointing out that as much as the defence can look a bit ropey now and then. Wes hasnt really had a crucial save to make in the first three games we have played, we almost dont know his shot stopping ability.

We are still learning when to roll it short and when to get rid. At this stage it seems Warburton has taken the decision away from the keeper by telling him he must pass it out. We are taking some risks but we are learning this way. We are learning to trust our team mates in tight situations, and to resist the urge to clear it to nowhere.

Good thing is we are practising what we preach and young McCrorie will be doing the same and perfecting things for when his day comes.

Oh and also, I've had a big cheeser on my face watching us play and that's what it's all about. That and winning!

We are still learning when to roll it short and when to get rid. At this stage it seems Warburton has taken the decision away from the keeper by telling him he must pass it out. We are taking some risks but we are learning this way. We are learning to trust our team mates in tight situations, and to resist the urge to clear it to nowhere.

Good thing is we are practising what we preach and young McCrorie will be doing the same and perfecting things for when his day comes.

Oh and also, I've had a big cheeser on my face watching us play and that's what it's all about. That and winning!

Exactly if every Rangers team at all levels is adopting the same style of play by the time they reach the first team they will fit straight into the system.This chain of thought is not new,its not revolutionary but it is for Rangers.For once in as long as I can remember we actually have a forward plan which extends beyond spending at the next transfer window.

Sounds a bit obvious this, but if you were manager of the opposition would you not just press higher up the pitch so we couldn't play it out from the back.

I think this is possibly exactly what we want to happen - it opens the opposing team up, giving space for our players to exploit. It imposes our style of play on them, and in theory, let's us dominate possession.

As others have said, it will not work 100% of the time but if it works most of the time, then it should be to our benefit. In theory!

Him passing it short from the back isn't going to score us a goal, but it can lose us one pretty sharpish. He needs to be smart and hit it long when the odds are against him or his man is marked up. Playing football at the edge of your own box is suicidal a lot of the time.

I'm still a bit unconvinced with him, but he should hopefully improve.

Totally disagree. Playing it short stretches the game, and draws opposition players out enabling our team to exploit the space.

See Wallace's turn out wide and burst into space, leading to a chance for Walsh in the St Mirren game. That doesn't / can't happen when the ball is hit long for John Daly to get the flick on to no one.

I don't doubt we'll lose a few goals, but the stats in the OP say it all.

While I appreciate the thinking and concepts about playing it out from the back ( and really welcome them) - if we are to get back to really high levels there are times when defending a lead is part of the art, and skill, of a good side. Good possession play is, of course, part of that skill but also knowing when you are under to much pressure / risk and getting the ball clear / row z is the right thing to do ( and allows you to regroup) It's a balancing act but all Good teams know how to defend, defend well and defend a lead to close out a game - I hope we, and MW, appreciate that.

They can't score if they don't have the ball. Far better to retain possession than hoof it right back to them.

Totally disagree. Playing it short stretches the game, and draws opposition players out enabling our team to exploit the space.

See Wallace's turn out wide and burst into space, leading to a chance for Walsh in the St Mirren game. That doesn't / can't happen when the ball is hit long for John Daly to get the flick on to no one.

I don't doubt we'll lose a few goals, but the stats in the OP say it all.

Yup (tu)

The press by the opposing team has to be initiated in order for it to be more effective, as soon as the space opens up, they become stretched and it makes it much easier for Holt, Law, Mckay, Temps, Tav, Wallace and Waghorn to pick up space, get on the ball and create.

As soon as whoever it is press us, there's a massive gap in between the Midfield and forward areas, if the midfield press high along with the forwards, the gap is a diagonal into Wallace/Tav high on the halfway line with time to bring it down, and if their whole team press high, the space is in behind, like when Walsh turned the guy after a long ball from Wes.

It needs to be mixed up and the encouraging thing is, not at any time, was there a long, aimless ball played up to Boyd/Daly, with 4 defenders round him and nobody to knock it down to.

While you have a point about defending a lead what about trying out a new tactic called extending the lead.It might just catch on you know but im sure MW has worked that out.

While you have a point about defending a lead what about trying out a new tactic called extending the lead.It might just catch on you know but im sure MW has worked that out.

... And we have all seen teams draw / lose from a winning position and said 'if only they weren't so nieve they could have won the game' - we all love attacking football, but defending well is part of being a top team.