David Hope - Rangers Pools

RD.1872

After doing a bit of research into the old Rangers Pools, I think it's shocking & disgraceful that the man behind them has been more or less airbrushed from our history.

David Hope created the pools in 1964 and built them into the biggest of its kind in Britain - raising over £18m at the time, which equates to over £60m in today's climate. He invested the whole lot back into the club with the majority of it going towards redeveloping Ibrox into the stadium we know today.

Find it sad that the only thing Google brings up is this tiny obituary from the Glasgow Herald when he passed away in the 80's:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19870721&id=GkJAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TFkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6480,4831228&hl=en

Also sickens me that the brilliant social club he built next to Ibrox was ripped apart by David Murray who then sold it off to criminals for £1m and is now a derelict eyesore.

Surely someone at the club can get something placed at Ibrox in his memory?

Good Shout

My old man was an agent for many years

I even won £1300 quid back in the day when £1300 quid was .....well £1300 quid

His whole work place virtually bought their pools from him

I remember going over to Ibrox many times and all the agents were handing in the money....a great spirit about us back then.

Just reading about Mr Hope, it would appear boardroom battles and back stabbing isn't a new thing when it comes to Rangers.

TO BE HONEST YOU COULD GO BACK OVER 140 + YEARS

You will find in every era the board having from very minor to quite serious 'debates'

But it was for the most part done behind closed doors

No media or PR people looking for some gossip.

It's Monday morning mate, I'm getting my Rangers pools guys mixed up I was thinking of Hugh Adam.

The same Hugh Adam who landed us in the shit over the EBT's by disclsoing the existence of the side letters which led to the SFA sanctions?

number of shares wasn't the issue, but the fact that his deceased wife was rc , the man was in tears when he left that night, not because of the board position, but his late wife's memory . Matt Taylor and his brother were not bad people but at that time and later the religion thing was strong. and dominated much of the clubs tradition.

Yeah real shame regarding the chairman story, says alot a about the man that he stepped down with dignity & without kicking up a fuss. A real Rangers man.

Club really should be doing all it can to acknowledge his place in our history.

The man who saw Murray for what he was long before the rest of us, and had the balls to tell folk.

I totally agree but we unlike him were just hungry for success.

I know going through school from 78 ( primary 3)and actually leaving before we won the league was torture and unheard of nowadays.

If you told me then that we would win 9 out the next 10 league title, the men with the white coats would have came to get you.

But yes he saw David Murray for what he was, people forget Murray only built the club deck and the corners and put all blue seats in.

The fans built the stadium, and every agent who sold Rangers pools did their bit for the club also.

I totally agree but we unlike him were just hungry for success.

I know going through school from 78 ( primary 3)and actually leaving before we won the league was torture and unheard of nowadays.

If you told me then that we would win 9 out the next 10 league title, the men with the white coats would have came to get you.

But yes he saw David Murray for what he was, people forget Murray only built the club deck and the corners and put all blue seats in.

The fans built the stadium, and every agent who sold Rangers pools did their bit for the club also.

I was an agent for four years late 80's/early 90's. Even had a couple of tims as customers!

back in its heyday rangers ran the biggest and best football club pools system in the whole of Britain and paid out large sums of money to winning entrants.i also vaguely remember a certain Manchester united tried to work their way in and make it a joint venture and were told to gtf.when the national lottery started it more or less finished off all football club pools which was a pity as it was agreat earner for rangers. just a thought but does anyone think that the rangers pools could be resurrected in any shape or form.i knowit wouldn`t bring in the profits it used to do but the way things are just now every little helps!!!

My dad told me all about him, and said he was a good Rangers man. Sure it was 1964 he started the Rangers pools.

The more I read about guys like Davie Hope & Hugh Adam, the more I hate the fact a cretin like David Murray got his hands on our club & stripped us down to the bone, both financially and moraly.

Read that he got rid of Adam not long after he arrived as he wouldn't let him get near the development fund (pools) as Adam could see right through him and knew that the money would've went from going into the club to going straight into Murray's pocket.

You really wonder where we'd be today if guys like Davie Holmes etc had stayed in power and Murray never appeared on the scene.

I guess the key is having folk willing to put the time in.

The old man spent hours every week from collecting the money every Wednesday lunch during work then in the evening down the pub over a pint (he hated that bit LOL)

Then doing paper work and over to Ibrox after the early finish on a Friday to hand it all in.

Some folk would pay well up front so you always had cash around, though with internet banking that might be easier.

The other bigger thing is that in those days the country revolved round Rangers you either supported them or had a bit of a soft spot or simply considered them a great Scottish institution worth the punt on the pools.

With so many other things to use disposable income on I cant see it working beyond the guys at the ground on a Saturday.

I know a guy that won it at 17 and when he told the agent (who we also know) he was told to keep his mouth shut and take the money otherwise the agent would lose his share of the winnings :lol:

Do they not still do the pools?