Waghorn

K.A.I

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

Is that not why we love football .It's called different opinions bud

M8 all for differing g views but I hate the scenario of let's single out a player for abuse no matter how he is playing.  Used to annoy me sitting g in CR, same few characters would be slagging the same player week in, week out irrespective of the performance. 

Probably guilty myself back in the day.  Had a wee thing about Tommy McLean being a shitebag, retrospectively I NOW realize how talented he actually was.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

27 goals in 33 games, but not scored in 5 so people get on his back. MW has consistently said he wants goals throughout the team. The way we play doesn't suit a one man goal machine, but Waggy made a rod for his own back with some fans due to his relentless start.

Holt hasn't scored in his last 5 appearances, anyone on his back for more goals? Miller and McKay no goals in their last 4, any threads about them not being good enough? As for Law, the second coming for some fans, 1 goal all season.

Waggy will bounce back, just like he did earlier in the season when some doubted him, but it's not all on his shoulders.

A clinical finisher wins us the game against Kilmarnock at Ibrox and scores a couple against Alloa.  Look at Waghorn's record down south with 41 games and 8 goals at his last club.  The guy isn't known for his finishing and when we go up we need a real number 9 who takes the many chances we create.

5 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

A clinical finisher wins us the game against Kilmarnock at Ibrox and scores a couple against Alloa.  Look at Waghorn's record down south with 41 games and 8 goals at his last club.  The guy isn't known for his finishing and when we go up we need a real number 9 who takes the many chances we create.

Under MW we don't play with a "real number 9”.

4 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Under MW we don't play with a "real number 9”.

The two tests we have faced against Premier league teams we have scored 1 goal.  We need someone reliable to finish these chances we create and that means a number 9.  We have to bring one in to the club in the summer.

5 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

The two tests we have faced against Premier league teams we have scored 1 goal.  We need someone reliable to finish these chances we create and that means a number 9.  We have to bring one in to the club in the summer.

We've scored 93 goals in 33 games. Taking a couple games in isolation means nothing.

I agree we need another forward, I'm sure MW will bring one in but it won't be a "real number 9" or poacher. It will be a player like Waggy that fits the system and can score goals too IMO. That is how MW operates.

Totally agree with everything you've said there above, Coplandstand - but it still doesn't make Waghorn an out and out traditional number 9.

This summer is going to be such a massive summer for us. I really like and trust Warburton thus far but we need better options in some more priority areas - we've more "attackers" than we know what to do with while IMO we are really short upfront goalscorer wise, defensive midfielder and some defensive cover too.

Needs sorted.

32 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

27 goals in 33 games, but not scored in 5 so people get on his back. MW has consistently said he wants goals throughout the team. The way we play doesn't suit a one man goal machine, but Waggy made a rod for his own back with some fans due to his relentless start.

Holt hasn't scored in his last 5 appearances, anyone on his back for more goals? Miller and McKay no goals in their last 4, any threads about them not being good enough? As for Law, the second coming for some fans, 1 goal all season.

Waggy will bounce back, just like he did earlier in the season when some doubted him, but it's not all on his shoulders.

I think there is a bit of frustration in there for the player and the fans, Waghorn is getting into positions to score, he is getting the ball into dangerous areas, it's just maybe a little bit off the boil.

47 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Good post Al and you are right mate .Yes we can't agree on everything and I'm the biggest moaning bazza around but surely no one can dispute Waggys  value this season. His attitude is the best for me .He may not be a super star but he has been the one player that has brought all the pieces of the jigsaw together in a successful season so far .

52 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

M8 all for differing g views but I hate the scenario of let's single out a player for abuse no matter how he is playing.  Used to annoy me sitting g in CR, same few characters would be slagging the same player week in, week out irrespective of the performance. 

Probably guilty myself back in the day.  Had a wee thing about Tommy McLean being a shitebag, retrospectively I NOW realize how talented he actually was.

Yeah me too with Tommy .He was in the latter stages of his career .Strangely enough ,not in the early part where he did a little bit of tackling .Think he got hammered so much over the years ,he decided the best way was to not get involved with the rough side of the game . And let's face it .It was in the 70s .

I think the guys that single out can be passionate mate .I consider myself guilty of it myself .As long as it doesn't become abusive for me .

1 hour ago, CoplandStandBear said:

By your logic mate, sign "a clinical finisher" and they will win you every single match, when does it stop, when you win the UCL final ...

Waggy is as clinical a striker as you can get in Scotland mate - there's no point bugging out about his stats before this season, his stats are good

58 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Yeah me too with Tommy .He was in the latter stages of his career .Strangely enough ,not in the early part where he did a little bit of tackling .Think he got hammered so much over the years ,he decided the best way was to not get involved with the rough side of the game . And let's face it .It was in the 70s .

I think the guys that single out can be passionate mate .I consider myself guilty of it myself .As long as it doesn't become abusive for me .

Tommy Maclean tackling?  I must have been drunk tht day, he hung about socially with Big Tam F., for a reason.  :D

I'd be a lot more worried if he wasn't getting chances. Still has the ability to goal scoring opportunities. As long as that happens, there's hope!  He'll come good again. I was watching a video a few weeks ago, and I think it was Gordon Smith who said Jock Wallace told him that during the season he would hit a barren spell. He warned Smith,in advance and whilst he was banging them in, that the goals would dry up for a period, and to be ready for that. Waghorn won't stay in this rut; he is too good a player.

1 hour ago, AlBear85 said:

We've scored 93 goals in 33 games. Taking a couple games in isolation means nothing.

I agree we need another forward, I'm sure MW will bring one in but it won't be a "real number 9" or poacher. It will be a player like Waggy that fits the system and can score goals too IMO. That is how MW operates.

The two games against mediocre Premier league teams have been disappointing.  The Championship goals mean about as much as Ally going unbeaten in League one, that is to say not a lot.  When we go up it will be a necessity to get a goalscorer in, not a right winger or left winger or someone who passes the ball out wide, but someone to score the chances.  Warburton will have to evolve or he'll be found wanting.

19 minutes ago, TonyRice1872 said:

By your logic mate, sign "a clinical finisher" and they will win you every single match, when does it stop, when you win the UCL final ...

Waggy is as clinical a striker as you can get in Scotland mate - there's no point bugging out about his stats before this season, his stats are good

He hasn't scored in 5 games for Rangers, we've had 84 shots and 34 on target.  A finisher scores against Kilmarnock and puts us through or scores against Alloa and wins the game.  He's a good player, but we need a player that can score regularly from the fewer chances we will get against better defences.

7 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

He hasn't scored in 5 games for Rangers, we've had 84 shots and 34 on target.  A finisher scores against Kilmarnock and puts us through or scores against Alloa and wins the game.  He's a good player, but we need a player that can score regularly from the fewer chances we will get against better defences.

Ok Copland .I'm taking a chance here mate but I think you find tomorrow evening Waggy has just puts us into the QF of the Scottish cup

41 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

The two games against mediocre Premier league teams have been disappointing.  The Championship goals mean about as much as Ally going unbeaten in League one, that is to say not a lot.  When we go up it will be a necessity to get a goalscorer in, not a right winger or left winger or someone who passes the ball out wide, but someone to score the chances.  Warburton will have to evolve or he'll be found wanting.

27 goals in 33 games means not a lot, but if Waggy had scored in both cup games and we won that would mean a lot?

If that's your thinking fine, it's not mine. The difference between the championship and premiership is nowhere near as big as some imagine IMO.

32 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

27 goals in 33 games means not a lot, but if Waggy had scored in both cup games and we won that would mean a lot?

If that's your thinking fine, it's not mine. The difference between the championship and premiership is nowhere near as big as some imagine IMO.

I think I'd have to agree with that. Good point.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:25 AM, K.A.I said:

I know he's going through a frustrating spell in front of goal but I'm a bit disappointed to see him getting so much stick just now 

IMO he's our most talented player and will come good again. 

I hate old football cliches but it's true that at least he's getting in the positions to miss. Think about the likes of Boyd last couple of seasons for example - he couldn't even find half a yard to get a shot away 

I know we are impatient (I am myself) but he's a class act and deserves a bit more from us.

i don't think it's a rest he needs either. Just a goal to get his confidence back and besides who do we bring in? Clark or Hardie? No thanks.

Hes a big player for us and him coming good again is literally a goal away. 

Tav, holt and Wallace are far better players and the only ones i think will excel next year. Waghorn, like Oduwa and Zel were so overhyped on here after a few good games and they have been found out to an extent. He is a striker who has always struggled for goals in his career and that is unlikely to change. He should be a squad player at best next year.

10 hours ago, CoplandStandBear said:

When we go up it will be a necessity to get a goalscorer in, not a right winger or left winger or someone who passes the ball out wide, but someone to score the chances.  

The way we play though leads to chances falling to players all over the park.