The Numbers Game

Tom0411

Now that our first season with Mr Warburton in charge is almost at an end and summer holidays are coming along might I recommend a holiday read of The Numbers Game (Why everything you know about football is wrong) by Chris Anderson & David Sally. It seems to to me that our boss has read it and with the comments over the season re corner kicks, substitutions, and playing out from the back etc., maybe we should all read it too. It is basically a book of stats culled from the major European leagues France, Germany, England, Spain & Italy over about 10 years and although can be quite dry and daunting it is worth sticking with it. A couple of examples are firstly the average team only scores from a cross from a corner kick once in every 10 games. Everyone thought that Spain did not cross the ball in due to the height of their team but it was this statistic that stopped that. Also teams playing the long ball game lose the ball on average 65% of the time so again if you have the ball the opposition cant score. Even the times of substitution can have a major effect on the game. The reason apart from the bits above I think our boss has read it was during the season he made a comment about the only thing you can't determine is luck which is mentioned in the book.

Now I know that some will mention Leicester and their amazing stats re lack of time on the ball but I think we will all say that they are the exception rather than the norm. So if you like a book that is a bit harder to read than Tom Clancy, James Paterson etc then try this for reading at the poolside.

1 hour ago, Tom0411 said:

Now that our first season with Mr Warburton in charge is almost at an end and summer holidays are coming along might I recommend a holiday read of The Numbers Game (Why everything you know about football is wrong) by Chris Anderson & David Sally. It seems to to me that our boss has read it and with the comments over the season re corner kicks, substitutions, and playing out from the back etc., maybe we should all read it too. It is basically a book of stats culled from the major European leagues France, Germany, England, Spain & Italy over about 10 years and although can be quite dry and daunting it is worth sticking with it. A couple of examples are firstly the average team only scores from a cross from a corner kick once in every 10 games. Everyone thought that Spain did not cross the ball in due to the height of their team but it was this statistic that stopped that. Also teams playing the long ball game lose the ball on average 65% of the time so again if you have the ball the opposition cant score. Even the times of substitution can have a major effect on the game. The reason apart from the bits above I think our boss has read it was during the season he made a comment about the only thing you can't determine is luck which is mentioned in the book.

Now I know that some will mention Leicester and their amazing stats re lack of time on the ball but I think we will all say that they are the exception rather than the norm. So if you like a book that is a bit harder to read than Tom Clancy, James Paterson etc then try this for reading at the poolside.

Excellent post mate.Managed to condense a whole book into a few paragraphs saving us the trouble,time and expense of having to go and buy and actually wade through  it.More sunbathing time for our hols now?