For all you Fly Fishing enthusiasts

18 minutes ago, Falcoholic said:

No rising to the bait. He thinks he's luring me into his net but really he's just spinning us line trying to make a cod of us.

needs a boot in the pollacks.

:thumbup:

For cods hake,the fish puns are brill,sometimes I make them for the sheer halibut 

Are there any Fly fishers on here? Ive been thinking of buying some fly fishing gear, I usually just sea fish for mackerel, pollock, wrasse and doggys from the largs marina rocks but its been pretty dire recently. And theyres a decent fishery just behind largs so ive been thinking of trying it out but its mostly for fly fishing. Is it easy enough to figure out on your own? I can tell it probably looks harder than it is but i have literally no experience with fly fishing whatsoever

2 hours ago, Willis said:

Are there any Fly fishers on here? Ive been thinking of buying some fly fishing gear, I usually just sea fish for mackerel, pollock, wrasse and doggys from the largs marina rocks but its been pretty dire recently. And theyres a decent fishery just behind largs so ive been thinking of trying it out but its mostly for fly fishing. Is it easy enough to figure out on your own? I can tell it probably looks harder than it is but i have literally no experience with fly fishing whatsoever

Try the church at Skelmorlie,had cod,dogs,conger there,some good wrasse to be had near hunterston too,can get bass off beach at Seamill also Prestwick on an incoming tide going onto dark with a southwest wind,straight lug or rag on a simple one or two hook flapper at bout forty yards 

58 minutes ago, heathen fish boy said:

Try the church at Skelmorlie,had cod,dogs,conger there,some good wrasse to be had near hunterston too,can get bass off beach at Seamill also Prestwick on an incoming tide going onto dark with a southwest wind,straight lug or rag on a simple one or two hook flapper at bout forty yards 

You mean the church just along from Wymess Bay station? Never thought to try there mate will give it a bash (tu) usually just fish from the marina at Largs or portencross but I'm not a huge fan of either spot tbh. Have never tried the church at skelmorlie and haven't tried the skelmorlie-Largs coast in years so will maybe head down that way tomorrow night

How dodgy is it fishing the lochs without a permit? Been looking at some of the anglers clubs but its a fucking rip off tbh

I love fishing I just have zero knowledge of my local area when it comes to fishing spots and half the spots that used to be good are pish now.

36 minutes ago, Willis said:

You mean the church just along from Wymess Bay station? Never thought to try there mate will give it a bash (tu) usually just fish from the marina at Largs or portencross but I'm not a huge fan of either spot tbh. Have never tried the church at skelmorlie and haven't tried the skelmorlie-Largs coast in years so will maybe head down that way tomorrow night

How dodgy is it fishing the lochs without a permit? Been looking at some of the anglers clubs but its a fucking rip off tbh

Always find Portencross too busy to get a decent cast out,then people cast over my line,hunterston end if you park where the blocks are in last car park then go through gate and follow path till first bend,onto rocks there can chuck out the dogs,red rocks to north of Skelmorlie used to put out Plaice but not done it in years,dunno much bout lochs though 

I know absolutely nothing about nothing about sea fishing but I would love to learn.

Rigs, baits, tides, winds, marks blah blah blah

I have fly fished since i was a kid. Haylie Fishery up the brae from Largs gets good press. Not really my type of fishery as I'm more of a wild hill loch type of fisher. Go up and have a look round and book yourself a casting lesson. Flies, lures, lines, hatches, imitations, depths to fish, blah blah blah all comes with experience but reading up on it helps.

Just like sea fishing I suppose.

I'll stick to catching bone fish and barracuda in Cuba for my sea fishing fix for now. :pipe:

18 hours ago, Willis said:

Fly fishings great but, its an on going learning curve, how to cast and getting the hang of it, then all the flies with what to use and when. Youtubes great if you want to start nowadays. You wont regret it, even Matt Hayes has gone total fly fishing. I also enjoy a bit of sea fishing.