Reminiscing

Great wee compilation.

I loved Fleck, very underrated striker. I remember being behind the goals when he scored the overhead kick against Hearts.

For me, Fleck and McCoist had one of the great striking partnerships. 

6 minutes ago, Ger77 said:

Great wee compilation.

I loved Fleck, very underrated striker. I remember being behind the goals when he scored the overhead kick against Hearts.

For me, Fleck and McCoist had one of the great striking partnerships. 

I agree . For years we had been playing with a big target man , so it was a welcome change when Souness started pairing the two up front . It meant keeping the ball on the deck and playing with a faster tempo . A joy to watch . 

Davie Cooper for me was the best Scottish player I've ever seen at Ibrox. Absolutely cracking player. Ruud Gullit had Davie in his all time best XI if i remember correctly. Cooper could have easily played at a Barcelona or Madrid. It was brilliant that he stayed at Rangers so long but does anyone remember if there was any serious interest from abroad for Cooper? 

Sorry to rain on your parade but Davie was your classic winger absolutely unbelievable one half & dire the next. It is fortunate we have some good footage whereas very little of Willie Henderson, Bud Johnston or wee Tam McLean who were every bit as good if not better than him. I am sure some older bears will lob a few more names in.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Didn't really know much about football back then (watch it :mad:), but Fleck was my joint favourite player when I first started going to the football. Great wee player.

Ya tease.

Who was he joint with? I'll no sleep tonight. 

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Ya tease.

Who was he joint with? I'll no sleep tonight. 

Well, nice of you to ask, KS.

And seeing as you do... the Tin Man, Ted McMinn. 

120185-scottish-premier-division-rangers

Probably the way he ran as much as anything.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Ah, the anti hero. I remember watching him one time and he had more bandages on than tutin kamoon. Gammy legs anall 

22 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I watched Cooper and Durrant on the park at the same time - the hairs on the back of my neck   

And I thought I was lucky seeing Niko Kranjcar and Barrie McKay on the pitch at the same time :lol:

16 minutes ago, JM1872 said:

And I thought I was lucky seeing Niko Kranjcar and Barrie McKay on the pitch at the same time :lol:

I'm on holiday. But I'll see that soon enough too. 

You make sure you tell the young ones when your an old bassa like me about Barrie McKay and how your hairs stood up on the back of your neck, pass the love on - it's our duty. 

2 hours ago, Inigo said:
2 hours ago, Inigo said:

That game that Fleck scores from Coopers run , I'm sure also saw big Ted go on a mazy run past a few defenders to the goal line where with a couple of players waiting in the 6 yard box for a tap in , he proceeded to somehow kick his own standing leg and fall over with the ball bobbling out for a goal kick . One game and two wide men who showed up how frustratingly inconsistent wingers can be . 

10 hours ago, solobaggins said:

Just stumbled on this clip on youtube.

Check out Davie Cooper's dribbling run to set up Fleck at 03:32.........sublime

Right youre doin well son, but what school did ye go tae?

17 hours ago, Tom0411 said:

Sorry to rain on your parade but Davie was your classic winger absolutely unbelievable one half & dire the next. It is fortunate we have some good footage whereas very little of Willie Henderson, Bud Johnston or wee Tam McLean who were every bit as good if not better than him. I am sure some older bears will lob a few more names in.

Always a dodgy road to go down when comparing players from the past as usually it comes out like criticism of one or the other . My honest opinion of Davie is that he was brilliant and it must be noted that he played in some very poor teams not on his wavelength ,as opposed to the other three you mentioned who had the luxury of playing among some greats. Coopers performances under Souness for example  were of a very high standard throughout as were his initial times in the treble winning team of 78.1980 -1986 were very bad years to watch Rangers yet Cooper still managed to win a few cups on his own. For what it's worth I think Bud Johnston would have been world class if he hadn't had the worst discipline  I've seen in a winger.