Remembering 1986/87

11 hours ago, boyd09 said:

Rangers v Bayern Munich

Friendly 5.8.1986

0-2

Attendance 36,300

The Rangers Team

Woods, Dawson, Munro, Souness, McPherson, Butcher, Fraser, West, McCoist, Durrant, Cooper

Substitutes Used, Russell, McMinn, D Ferguson, Burns

Shuggy burns nightmare with the goals

Must be getting older than I thought, I remember it was a beautiful evening and the anticipation to see these new signings. We were brutal that game or more like Munich were a class team. 

Butcher was some player and only bettered by Gough and that's only because Ipswich got many a good season out him.

That season is up there with 1992/93 and the 9 in a row and even better than helicopter Sunday.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Copland bear said:

Must be getting older than I thought, I remember it was a beautiful evening and the anticipation to see these new signings. We were brutal that game or more like Munich were a class team. 

Butcher was some player and only bettered by Gough and that's only because Ipswich got many a good season out him.

That season is up there with 1992/93 and the 9 in a row and even better than helicopter Sunday.

I was 12, I had been going regular since 81 with league cup final wins and Scottish Cup final losses to the sheep. Then boom we came to life

so exciting first night to see Butcher and woods at ibrox but Bayern were some team,

anyways best season of my life travelling home and away on the Dale bus with my dad and uncle, first thought we could win title we went to dens Park on a Wednesday in Feb won 4 nil then back to Tannadice on Sat won 2 nil,  I thought then we're going to do this, best game was still the new-year game under the floodlights and snow at ibrox watching the Souness show, good times

5 minutes ago, boyd09 said:

I was 12, I had been going regular since 81 with league cup final wins and Scottish Cup final losses to the sheep. Then boom we came to life

so exciting first night to see Butcher and woods at ibrox but Bayern were some team,

anyways best season of my life travelling home and away on the Dale bus with my dad and uncle, first thought we could win title we went to dens Park on a Wednesday in Feb won 4 nil then back to Tannadice on Sat won 2 nil,  I thought then we're going to do this, best game was still the new-year game under the floodlights and snow at ibrox watching the Souness show, good times

I thought when Roberts signed that was going to do it, also winning the league cup against the mhanky mob and destroying them in then 1-0 in the game Durrant scored set out our marker that we were gonna be there or there abouts.

Remember Wallace's last season we won something like 3 away games all season and that team was better than what Greig left him.

We were bad and I honestly thought we would never win the league as we were not even close to being 2nd never mind winning it 

It shows you how quick football can change. 

Just now, Copland bear said:

I thought when Roberts signed that was going to do it, also winning the league cup against the mhanky mob and destroying them in then 1-0 in the game Durrant scored set out our marker that we were gonna be there or there abouts.

Remember Wallace's last season we won something like 3 away games all season and that team was better than what Greig left him.

We were bad and I honestly thought we would never win the league as we were not even close to being 2nd never mind winning it 

It shows you how quick football can change. 

I still think if Jock Wallace, was given more financial backing he would have won us the title, but what Souness did changed the whole of Scottish football 

43 minutes ago, boyd09 said:

I still think if Jock Wallace, was given more financial backing he would have won us the title, but what Souness did changed the whole of Scottish football 

Agreed, Wallace never got the backing he needed 

Big Jock left with his head held high and if the Rangers best 11 had a manager then it would be Big Jock all day long in my book.

Watched Greig in his first season and we nearly won the treble, but now know that was big Jocks team.

Just now, Copland bear said:

Agreed, Wallace never got the backing he neede.

Big Jock left with his head held high and if the Rangers best 11 had a manager then it would be Big Jock all day long in my book.

Watched Greig in his first season and we nearly won the treble, but now know that was big Jocks team.

When I started going as a 7 year old in Greigs team we got beat too easily, when Wallace came in after getting beat of sheep in his first game I think we went about 23 games unbeaten, I had never seen us do that, and the league cup final with supers hat trick big Wallace waved to us on the way back after the game as our bus passed the team bus I felt at that age he was just waving at myself, I now know he wasn't but I went to bed that night of pulling on that jersey for the big man, 

He doesn't for me get the credit he deserved as a Rangers manager up there for me in the top 3 of all time