Remembering 1986/87

3 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

Remember flying home for start of season from Nice and thinking , we've no chance this season, shows you how much I knew then....... Still the same just now. 

I moved back to Scotland for that year...what a year to return for!!!!!!!!! :cool:

PS THIRTY FUCKING YEARS AGO.

FFS

Was only 24 then.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

We signed some of the best players in England and Europe then.

We paid more than anyone else to get better than everyone else in our league.

Absolute zero similarities in the make up of the squad then to now, with us operating in the bargain bin market whilst our main competition out spend us.

Clutching at straws with this one imo

We paid more money for players in that era than anyone else in Britain. Saying that we spent more money then than we probably ever will again 

That was the era before the huge tv money skewed it totally.

We competed on a level playing field with the English clubs, and with them banned from Europe over Heysel, we cashed in.

Tv money has fucked the game....former Bear Ross McCormack just went for £12 million!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, blueballss said:

not a classic for the BD but the start of a glorious period

I'm in that pic somewhere. Maybe just to the left out of shot. The first game I remember going to. A Bear was born that day. :pipe:

The OP is right.  We all have some concern on how well we will do this season and our own views of problem areas in the team.  However, we shouldn't make rash judgements based on early season form.  In all my time following Rangers, we have never been the great starters.  Let's wait to we have a few games under our belt before , let the team settle in.

30 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

The OP is right.  We all have some concern on how well we will do this season and our own views of problem areas in the team.  However, we shouldn't make rash judgements based on early season form.  In all my time following Rangers, we have never been the great starters.  Let's wait to we have a few games under our belt before , let the team settle in.

Yes it's early but let's not forget that 8/11 of yesterday's starters and 2/3 subs were last year's regular players.

Yesterday we looked wholly disjointed. 

Think there's a lot more to it than settling in time.

22 hours ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

We hadn't won a title since 1978 and Souness came in and signed Colin West, Chris Woods and Terry Butcher. 

Expectations were high and ultimately we succeeded, but our start that year was rather inauspicious.

So basically, I'd call for patience at this juncture. 

Aye but we went out and signed Graham Roberts at Christmas, and if we had someone half  as good as big Terry then I would be more confident.  

Dave King needs to buy a CF who is big and string in the air and is good and holding the ball up, we don't get that then it will be a long long season as that defence is still shocking and it's down to the centre backs

I think too that Souness was a lot more ruthless . 

We played Bayern Munich just before the start of the season and got beat 2-0 with Souness pretty vocal in blaming the 2 full backs . Memory getting on here , so stand to be corrected , but I'm sure one was Hugh Burns who was subbed at the loss of a goal and his replacement ( can't remember who ) , blamed for the other. Souness then went out and got Jimmy Nicholl on a free and can't remember if either full back played for us again .

I think the difference between then and now , is back then we knew we were pretty solid in defence whereas now it's been evident for quite a while we are struggling in that area. Personally , I think it's because of our style of play where pushing forward leaves us open at the back . Perhaps Souness struck a better balance than MW has achieved so far .

2 hours ago, Copland bear said:

Aye but we went out and signed Graham Roberts at Christmas, and if we had someone have as good as big Terry then I would be more confident.  

Dave King needs to buy a CF who is big and string in the air and is good and holding the ball up, we don't get that then it will be a long long season as that defence is still shocking and it's down to the centre backs

We need to sign a striker because our defence is a shambles? Interesting 

2 hours ago, gmcf said:

I think too that Souness was a lot more ruthless . 

We played Bayern Munich just before the start of the season and got beat 2-0 with Souness pretty vocal in blaming the 2 full backs . Memory getting on here , so stand to be corrected , but I'm sure one was Hugh Burns who was subbed at the loss of a goal and his replacement ( can't remember who ) , blamed for the other. Souness then went out and got Jimmy Nicholl on a free and can't remember if either full back played for us again .

I think the difference between then and now , is back then we knew we were pretty solid in defence whereas now it's been evident for quite a while we are struggling in that area. Personally , I think it's because of our style of play where pushing forward leaves us open at the back . Perhaps Souness struck a better balance than MW has achieved so far .

6785758958_5ea4ed7174_z.jpg

My first view of Butcher and all theses new stars was in the viewing area off the main stand steps where you could see the players training in the indoor bit under the stand.

It's also worth remembering we lost our opening game to hearts in advocaats first season, we drew our opening game at pittodrie when we won the league in 2005, although it's a wake up call trophies are handed out at the end of the season.

7 hours ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

6785758958_5ea4ed7174_z.jpg

My first view of Butcher and all theses new stars was in the viewing area off the main stand steps where you could see the players training in the indoor bit under the stand.

I think Munich beat us 3-0, if I remember correct, they hammered us that nice sunny Glasgow night. 

8 hours ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

We need to sign a striker because our defence is a shambles? Interesting 

Well with that defense we need to score 3 a game and we do not have a 30 goal striker in that team. We are still relying on Kenny to do the job and that's absolutely crazy.   

22 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

Remember flying home for start of season from Nice and thinking , we've no chance this season, shows you how much I knew then....... Still the same just now. 

Yep. Even with Cooper. McCoist, Souness, Butcher and Woods we still didn't think we would win the league. Most would have settled for second spot. Thought the football in the SPFL was awful this weekend. Anythings possible, but sad the game has declined so much.

40 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

I think Munich beat us 3-0, if I remember correct, they hammered us that nice sunny Glasgow night. 

Rangers v Bayern Munich

Friendly 5.8.1986

0-2

Attendance 36,300

The Rangers Team

Woods, Dawson, Munro, Souness, McPherson, Butcher, Fraser, West, McCoist, Durrant, Cooper

Substitutes Used, Russell, McMinn, D Ferguson, Burns

Shuggy burns nightmare with the goals

16 minutes ago, boyd09 said:

Rangers v Bayern Munich

Friendly 5.8.1986

0-2

Attendance 36,300

The Rangers Team

Woods, Dawson, Munro, Souness, McPherson, Butcher, Fraser, West, McCoist, Durrant, Cooper

Substitutes Used, Russell, McMinn, D Ferguson, Burns

Shuggy burns nightmare with the goals

I was 7 at the time and still have that programme up the attic. Ill have to dig some out and get them posted on here. Great times in general. 

On the team side of things we are nowhere near what souness was putting together.  England centre half, engkand no.2 goalkeeper and im sure colin west was either top scorer or one of them in england at the time

4 hours ago, GMac said:

Yep. Even with Cooper. McCoist, Souness, Butcher and Woods we still didn't think we would win the league. Most would have settled for second spot. Thought the football in the SPFL was awful this weekend. Anythings possible, but sad the game has declined so much.

Up till the new year we still had some crowds that were in the mid 20 000's . Don't think most of us really started to believe it was going to be our year until about easter time even though we only lost one game from about december . Probably due to enduring the Greig and Wallace (2nd spell) years and a few false dawns . Can't imagine us attracting that calibre of player at that stage of their careers again although I live in hope. 

I was 21 at the time and remember it fondly , as similar to the Advocaat years we were linked with top class players every week and due to the signings we had made we believed anything was possible . Would love it if we're about to embark on a period of domination like then .

1 minute ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Up till the new year we still had some crowds that were in the mid 20 000's . Don't think most of us really started to believe it was going to be our year until about easter time even though we only lost one game from about december . Probably due to enduring the Greig and Wallace (2nd spell) years and a few false dawns . Can't imagine us attracting that calibre of player at that stage of their careers again although I live in hope. 

I was 21 at the time and remember it fondly , as similar to the Advocaat years we were linked with top class players every week and due to the signings we had made we believed anything was possible . Would love it if we're about to embark on a period of domination like then .

I remember the home match against Dundee Utd. I was in the Govan Rear. It was great watching the stadium fill up. This was before season tickets were commonplace, The stadium filled up in order of price. Enclosure first, main stand last. Think some were locked out. Some day it will come back. We don't realise how big the club really is. 

9 minutes ago, GMac said:

I remember the home match afnst Dundee Utd. I was in the Govan Rear. It was great watching the stadium fill up. This was before season tickets were commonplace, The stadium filled up in order of price. Enclosure first, main stand last. Think some were locked out. Some day it will come back. We don't realise how big the club really is. 

Aye mate , we usually just went wherever  the smallest queue was . Was telling my son about the pre-souness years when you could basically turn up at ten to three , pay in , go for a pish , get a pie/bovril and still be in a seat before kick off . Even in that 86/87 season the queueing to get in wasn't for all the games , in fact I'm sure the first couple of home games the next season when most of the ground was season tickets was worse as most people were still in the habit of turning up close to kick off. Thirty years ago :( Feeling my age now , but some great memories  of a time when some Bears thought like now that we would struggle to get back to where we belong .

I remember it well. 21 years old and unaware of the glories lying ahead.  I think you could still get a ham roll from a cardboard box soaked in piss on the base so you make sure you picked one from the top. Maybe health and safety had banned them by then along with the Agnews bag with your half bottle and 12 cans in it. The kids today will never know that joy.

On 06/08/2016 at 1:53 PM, OlegKuznetsov said:

Equally, I don't think you can compare our current opposition to that of the scum, Dundee hibs and sheep teams of that era. Or even the Hearts team of that period.

Also, Hamilton beat us in the cup that year. 

Did they not score the goal that broke Chris Woods clean sheet record?  Too many rockets in our support now who have no patience.

1 hour ago, weeneily said:

I remember it well. 21 years old and unaware of the glories lying ahead.  I think you could still get a ham roll from a cardboard box soaked in piss on the base so you make sure you picked one from the top. Maybe health and safety had banned them by then along with the Agnews bag with your half bottle and 12 cans in it. The kids today will never know that joy.

Pink spam, pretend ham :D   kind of reminded me of sellik park, 20 year old shriveled up meat between 8 year old buns.

I remember going to Easter road for the first game and it was scorching..Crowd trouble in their main stand as there was about 50 bears in there and at the fence to their shed..

We started pretty poor that season again until we beat that shite then went on a run if memory serves....I was 16 and it was my 5th season without missing a game.I remember my mate saying we should get season tickets and me saying na it'll no be full every week..I did get one and glad i did cos anyone going then knew we only got full houses against the Taigs and the Sheep..