eureka, I've sussed it!

KeyserSoze

4 hours ago, JimmyCR1 said:

People around me were like "and now yous start playing" after we scored our second goal. Can these people not see the only reason we started to create chances was because Motherwell went for it, not because we changed anything tactically, space just opened up because they had to attack us. We play well on the counter attack, otherwise we struggle to create a breakthrough.

Which is useless in this league, so the tactics have to change.

Will it? I hope so, but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

It's interesting you say that.

We dropped the possession stats till 50/50 against Aberdeen and won. Similar for the Hearts game. Don't know why he's resorted back to the keep care of the ball football when we've looked at our best the whole season mixing it up

Correct that's what I noticed

The players we have are more suited to counter - which is why it is strange we play "keep ball". We don't have the players to break down defences but we do have the players who can move the ball quickly through space. 

35 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Eureka - create and take chances - get 1 or 2 goals ahead and then the other team have to come out.

Thats the formula - needs investment though. 

Yes I know.  But that's not likely gonna happen anytime soon is it. 

It's a discussion about the here and now beano. 

6 hours ago, JimmyCR1 said:

People around me were like "and now yous start playing" after we scored our second goal. Can these people not see the only reason we started to create chances was because Motherwell went for it, not because we changed anything tactically, space just opened up because they had to attack us. We play well on the counter attack, otherwise we struggle to create a breakthrough.

I thought they sat in after they'd scored, inviting us into them, with the inevitable consequence.

They had a go straight after & almost regained the lead, but the winner came straight out of THEIR  'what we have, we hold' playbook & they made a right meal of, what should have been, retaining possession & running the clock down.

Less attributable to us 'starting playing' rather than them screwing up something very basic.

That said, the equaliser was a thing of beauty!

7 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Fuck this "look after the ball" malarkey. Drastically drop our high possession rates and give up possession to the opposition. 

We only come alive when the opposition have a go! Space is created when teams come at us - the majority of our goals come when the opposition think they have a chance! Check the stats  

we play much better with more space  created when teams come at us  

let us be a counter attacking team, we have the players (maybe not the defenders) to rip opponents apart when they "think" they have a chance.

we have consistently shown we can't break down teams with 10 behind the ball and by retaining possession our "runners" can't get on their heels so it's pass pass pass and go fucking nowhere 

I'm not saying let them score first ffs but make them over confident with plenty of the ball 

I was nearly leaving to go home on 75 mins when our usual three subs upset our rhythm and allowed them a goal. 

But what happened afterwards got me thinking  - they started opening up, becoming confident and that suited us  

They also tired badly and our subs had more impact than those replaced.

16 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

Counter attacking once we win the ball back eh?  Would seem to imply that we'd need players who:

• were ball winners ....so that we do get the ball back enough times to implement the plan
  • were quick thinkers, good decision takers and accurate passers.......to create the goal scoring opportunities
  • were fast
  • were direct
  • knew how to shoot
  • knew how to score goals
  • knew how to defend properly

Think we've a bit to go before we'd be much good at it.   Far safer just to keep hold of the ball for as long as we can to make it harder for the other team to score a goal against our persistently rank defence. Safest route.  

Utterly spot on.

17 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Fuck this "look after the ball" malarkey. Drastically drop our high possession rates and give up possession to the opposition. 

We only come alive when the opposition have a go! Space is created when teams come at us - the majority of our goals come when the opposition think they have a chance! Check the stats  

we play much better with more space  created when teams come at us  

let us be a counter attacking team, we have the players (maybe not the defenders) to rip opponents apart when they "think" they have a chance.

we have consistently shown we can't break down teams with 10 behind the ball and by retaining possession our "runners" can't get on their heels so it's pass pass pass and go fucking nowhere 

I'm not saying let them score first ffs but make them over confident with plenty of the ball 

I was nearly leaving to go home on 75 mins when our usual three subs upset our rhythm and allowed them a goal. 

But what happened afterwards got me thinking  - they started opening up, becoming confident and that suited us  

Sir Walter style 

noticed all all season that the majority of sides sit very deep and any half decent manager would play that way against us 

but in our better performances against the sheep twice and hearts at home we looked far more dangerous going forward 

we do have decent players but just lack that wee bit of quality to finish the half chances we do create