Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

Lads, a question, because I don’t know,  who sanctions these deals for players? Is it Gerrard or someone else. I’d like to know who has the final word. 

The board has the final say regarding finances. Wilson & Gerrard will be very much on the same page talent wise with the gaffer probably having final word.

At least that was I think mate 😉

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Broxi said:

Wilson will do most of the work, consulting with Gerrard along the way, and take them to the board who will have final say

I understand that part mate, obviously the board have the final say because it’s the money thing. Who says to the board, we really need this boy?  Let’s get him. Is that Gerrard or someone else? 

5 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

What is this? 

And aye I'm saying he's generally a poor judge of a player considering the amount of absolute shite we've signed since he's came here. 

Higher than you playing football manager

So you think if you signed 15 players they would all be class? What manager doesn't sign players who don't make it? Coming from someone who thinks McCrorie is the answer sorry if I don't see you being any better

It's also different scouting players on limited games for other teams and seeing them first hand in your own squad every day

1 minute ago, Hadron Collider said:

I understand that part mate, obviously the board have the final say because it’s the money thing. Who says to the board, we really need this boy?  Let’s get him. Is that Gerrard or someone else? 

Will be Ross Wilson probably, even if he's saying it on behalf of Gerrard. The Director of Football role seems very much to be a midway point between coaching staff and board level. 

10 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Are we really going to argue whether a Champions League winning captain who has played or managed football at the highest level every day almost for the last 20 years and sees McCrorie 4x more often a week in training than we see him not even playing in matches, who plays in the same position as him has been beaten in judgement by us on the internet?

And I'm not saying it because Gerrard leaves him out the team, I'm saying it because I've seen him play too and he's not good enough, nor better than the other players at the squad

I'm neither here nor there on McCrorie atm but Ally McCoist was one of our most successful Rangers players ever who's won titles and cups galore and has forgot more about football than most of us will ever know, but he was one of the worst judges of a player I've ever seen - so just because you were a good player, it doesn't mean every decision is correct - in fact sometimes the fans view is more legitimate cos they only see what they see on the park on match day and don't get swayed over who's good influences, who trains well, who's good to have around the squad etc.

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

What is this? 

And aye I'm saying he's generally a poor judge of a player considering the amount of absolute shite we've signed since he's came here. 

I think that's a bit harsh saying that most of the team he inherited were from the Pedro experiment, and he only got to choose players from the selection chosen by the football director. I think this window will see more input on who he wants.  

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

I'm neither here nor there on McCrorie atm but Ally McCoist was one of our most successful Rangers players ever who's won titles and cups galore and has forgot more about football than most of us will ever know, but he was one of the worst judges of a player I've ever seen - so just because you were a good player, it doesn't mean every decision is correct - in fact sometimes the fans view is more legitimate cos they only see what they see on the park on match day and don't get swayed over who's good influences, who trains well, who's good to have around the squad etc.

Fans see a player from the youth setup and all logic and reasoning goes out the window

If McCrorie was a Pedro signing from another club nobody would give 2 shits about him

Just now, Broxi said:

Fans see a player from the youth setup and all logic and reasoning goes out the window

I know. I hate that too. 

I've been on forums and social media pages for years and we seem to think we have an unders team on par with the Brazil U23's or something. We don't. They need to get this idea out of their heads that just because they are young and playing well at that level it doesn't mean they are first-team ready. The term "play the kids" is the stupidest one ever.

But I still stand by what I said in regards to your logic that just because Gerrard has seen him play more, and cos he's played at a higher level then he's right and that's the end of it. It's not.

5 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Higher than you playing football manager

So you think if you signed 15 players they would all be class? What manager doesn't sign players who don't make it? Coming from someone who thinks McCrorie is the answer sorry if I don't see you being any better

It's also different scouting players on limited games for other teams and seeing them first hand in your own squad every day

It's not down to who I would and wouldn't sign though is it? 

I think having McCrorie in that midfield would solve the issue of playing another 2 in that area of the park to do the same job as him which is mind boggling domestically, you've mentioned Kamara and Davis are better players yet they've done nothing but continually let us down bar less than a handful of games. 

Just now, British_Empire said:

I know. I hate that too. 

I've been on forums and social media pages for years and we seem to think we have an unders team on par with the Brazil U23's or something. We don't. They need to get this idea out of their heads that just because they are young and playing well at that level it doesn't mean they are first-team ready. The term "play the kids" is the stupidest one ever.

But I still stand by what I said in regards to your logic that just because Gerrard has seen him play more, and cos he's played at a higher level then he's right and that's the end of it. It's not.

I agree, but it doesn't make BIB right either. And if there's anyone more likely to be right, it'll be Gerrard. Even taking away the playing career and all the other stuff, he sees him every day in training, we don't, we don't even see him playing in games. We literally haven't seen him play properly in over year other than an odd appearance. 

Even when he was playing he was clearly not good enough

4 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Ask Andy Halliday mate. Good influencer, trained well, good to have around the squad, but absolute shite. Andy was a mascot, sorry to say. A good bear as I see the same with McCrorie. 

Just now, Broxi said:

I agree, but it doesn't make BIB right either. And if there's anyone more likely to be right, it'll be Gerrard. Even taking away the playing career and all the other stuff, he sees him every day in training, we don't, we don't even see him playing in games. We literally haven't seen him play properly in over year other than an odd appearance. 

Even when he was playing he was clearly not good enough

The only persons opinion that matters when it comes to it, is Gerrard's - but I don't fully trust his judgement when it comes to a lot of players in all honesty.

Just now, Hadron Collider said:

Ask Andy Halliday mate. Good influencer, trained well, good to have around the squad, but absolute shite. Andy was a mascot, sorry to say. A good bear as I see the same with McCrorie. 

Halliday was utter dugshite. Was delighted when I heard he'd left a couple of weeks ago.

There's a few more on top of him that needs shown the door too.

8 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I think that's a bit harsh saying that most of the team he inherited were from the Pedro experiment, and he only got to choose players from the selection chosen by the football director. I think this window will see more input on who he wants.  

He more than likely won't make a better signing than Hagi, which could cost him his job if he keeps playing him out of position. 

The others have made little to no impact whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

It's not down to who I would and wouldn't sign though is it? 

I think having McCrorie in that midfield would solve the issue of playing another 2 in that area of the park to do the same job as him which is mind boggling domestically, you've mentioned Kamara and Davis are better players yet they've done nothing but continually let us down bar less than a handful of games. 

Yet McCrorie already had his run in the team and also did absolutely nothing? McCrorie has played 55 games for us, it's not like he's not been tried. I didn't see him winning trophies either, which then dried up because we switched to Davis and Kamara.

He is energy and a tackle, that is it. It's not a myth that he's bad on the ball, he is bad on the ball. 

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Halliday was utter dugshite. Was delighted when I heard he'd left a couple of weeks ago.

There's a few more on top of him that needs shown the door too.

Agreed. Barker, FFS! We got taken on that one. Hastie, another. Jury out on Middleton, but Kent needs to step up next season. 

Just now, Broxi said:

Yet McCrorie already had his run in the team and also did absolutely nothing? McCrorie has played 55 games for us, it's not like he's not been tried. I didn't see him winning trophies either, which then dried up because we switched to Davis and Kamara.

He is energy and a tackle, that is it. It's not a myth that he's bad on the ball, he is bad on the ball. 

Many games under Gerrard? 

Tynecastle, Pittodrie, Easter Road, Rugby Park all places where you need energy and tackles to win the game, not fannying about on the ball like Kamara or doing daft flicks into the box for nobody like Davis. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Many games under Gerrard? 

Tynecastle, Pittodrie, Easter Road, Rugby Park all places where you need energy and tackles to win the game, not fannying about on the ball like Kamara or doing daft flicks into the box for nobody like Davis. 

Oh sorry should we bring back Kiernan as well? Maybe he'll be good under Gerrard as well

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Way to miss the point sailor. 

It's exactly the point. McCrorie was not good enough under Warburton or Pedro to be in a title winning team. Gerrard has came in, been here for 2 seasons and has seen nothing from him to want to use him in the team. He is not good enough.

The fact people want to go into next season going backwards to the squads they sit and whine about all day with McCrorie as a starter and the fact I need to sit here arguing about it is absolutely bonkers.

Archived