Oculus/meta quest 2

rabc10000

Can't find a dedicated thread for this but does anyone have one at all??

How do they compare to the VR headsets that are dedicated for pcs etc? Wee boy is wanting one for his Xmas so doesn't matter too much about gfx fidelity but his laptop only has a 1650ti in it and won't be enough to run VR games 

25 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Can't find a dedicated thread for this but does anyone have one at all??

How do they compare to the VR headsets that are dedicated for pcs etc? Wee boy is wanting one for his Xmas so doesn't matter too much about gfx fidelity but his laptop only has a 1650ti in it and won't be enough to run VR games

Quest 2 does also link to PCs if you have decent wifi, so it can still run PC games if the PC can as well as its own native ones.  Check out Viveport Infinity for games as well, that may be decent fun over Christmas as it's just a subscription to try out different types of games.  Like the plank thing, you only really need to try that once really.

21 minutes ago, blaudrup said:

Quest 2 does also link to PCs if you have decent wifi, so it can still run PC games if the PC can as well as its own native ones.  Check out Viveport Infinity for games as well, that may be decent fun over Christmas as it's just a subscription to try out different types of games.  Like the plank thing, you only really need to try that once really.

My own experience of VR was on the PS4 and I felt it was a novelty and after a few days it was packed back in the box and very rarely used again. However with the quest it seems to have quite a lot of the games the wee boy would play. Was also hoping to keep clear of him using it in his laptop 

2 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

My own experience of VR was on the PS4 and I felt it was a novelty and after a few days it was packed back in the box and very rarely used again. However with the quest it seems to have quite a lot of the games the wee boy would play. Was also hoping to keep clear of him using it in his laptop 

It's a novelty for sure (or lots of novelties), so much the same thing.  But more portable, no wires needed.  Needs some space in the house too, that's a bigger problem than it sounds at Christmas.

I wouldn't be connecting it to a laptop with a 1650ti, that will really struggle.

For a kid though it should have enough games on it to play without needing to connect it to a pc. Have a look through the store and see if you think they would be relevant - https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/?locale=en_GB

He will probably get bored of it after 6 months but i'm sure that's the same with most presents.

Hardware wise it's pretty similar to the ones that are dedicated for PC's, you just get the benefit of not having to hook it up. Value for money it's by far the best one.

As has been said easy to run without PC compatibility. Good selection of games in the library at decent prices, space can be a issue and my daughters really need to mess about with the head strap to get right they are 11 and 8 and it can be a bit of a issue at times. Got ours in February and it still gets used quite a bit. 

On 23/12/2022 at 12:12, Finny said:

As has been said easy to run without PC compatibility. Good selection of games in the library at decent prices, space can be a issue and my daughters really need to mess about with the head strap to get right they are 11 and 8 and it can be a bit of a issue at times. Got ours in February and it still gets used quite a bit. 

Yeah I was really looking for advice regards to not connecting to pc and how the games etc where.

Don't think I would get a dedicated pc VR headset until they are fully wireless 

Set it up last night and had a wee blast of beatsaber. No for me I'm afraid

• 7 months later...