The split

AdzKyle

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And La Liga has long had the same complaints from fans about the lack of competitiveness given Barca/Real win the title 9 years out of 10. Sevilla's president once directly compared it with the then SPL.

IIRC a few years back there was a banner at one of the Spanish games basically saying don't make us like the league of Scotland. Can't remember what team had the banner or even find it on Google. May have been Atletico? 

6 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

You're not repeating games against shite either though.

Instead of Kilmarnock four times a season, we play them twice h & a and then we play Dundee or Patrick (examples) for those other two games.

For the supporters, which main gripe is of a boring and uninteresting league, if that brings supporters back and sells more season tickets across the Premiership clubs, it builds a portfolio for marketing and sponsors and TV deals etc that people want to come and watch this league.

It'd also have voided our Sky deal so clubs could either PPV and find their own streaming sources or they could act in concert and find a streaming partner for the league.

There are many many options and ways of making money, ways that are currently cut off to us due to being in a structure that suits SKY.

You're not repeating games against shite, but you're significantly increasing the number of games against shite, while decreasing the number of games against decent teams.

I really don't think it would help attendances at all, I actually think it would decrease them.

The biggest attendances for the other 10 teams in the league are against us and celtic. If you half the number of games against the OF their annual attendance will decrease. What chance are they going to get a decent attendance against Ayr and Greenock Morton in place of 4 games against the OF.

If I'm a Raith Rovers fan debating getting a season ticket, 8 games against the OF is going to be a much bigger selling point than 4.

One of the biggest issues with Scottish football is that we have too many teams. The support is already concentrated massively towards the OF so it'd be better to have a smaller number of better supported teams.

Just now, Jamie0202 said:

IIRC a few years back there was a banner at one of the Spanish games basically saying don't make us like the league of Scotland. Can't remember what team had the banner or even find it on Google. May have been Atletico? 

Aye, it's a fairly common gripe in Spain.

3 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

You're not repeating games against shite, but you're significantly increasing the number of games against shite, while decreasing the number of games against decent teams.

I really don't think it would help attendances at all, I actually think it would decrease them.

The biggest attendances for the other 10 teams in the league are against us and celtic. If you half the number of games against the OF their annual attendance will decrease. What chance are they going to get a decent attendance against Ayr and Greenock Morton in place of 4 games against the OF.

If I'm a Raith Rovers fan debating getting a season ticket, 8 games against the OF is going to be a much bigger selling point than 4.

One of the biggest issues with Scottish football is that we have too many teams. The support is already concentrated massively towards the OF so it'd be better to have a smaller number of better supported teams.

Could argue back and forward on this all day, it's been a talking point for years. 

There's pros and cons for both. 

Preferable for me would be 18 team though. 

57 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Could argue back and forward on this all day, it's been a talking point for years. 

There's pros and cons for both. 

Preferable for me would be 18 team though. 

We don't have the quality for an 18 team league - imagine taking the top six right now from the championship (Dundee, Queens Park, Ayr, Partick Thistle, Inverness and Morton) and adding them to the dross we already have. 

14 team - play each other twice, then split 8 and 6 and play each other another twice. - 40 game for top 8, 36 bottom 6  (or 6 and 8 = 36 and 40) and even home and away across the board.   more competitive and not difficult to implement