The split

AdzKyle

One of the worst things about our league in my opinion. Teams in the bottom 6 ending up on more points than those above them etc. Look how it works out this year….

SPFL face Rangers post split fixture dilemma with celtic away day contrast becoming clear as St Mirren factor emerges

Michael Beale and Ange Postecogou will be waiting for the top six fixture list to be revealed in the coming days.

Rangers face the prospect of missing out on a home game this term - while celtic are set to gain an additional clash at Parkehad when the post-split Premiership fixtures are revealed.

St Mirren and Hibs sealed a spot in the top six with Aberdeen and Hearts after Livingston slipped up against relegation-threatened Dundee United, with the SPFL now left with a major headache as they attempt to work out the crucial run-in. Ange Postecoglou's men will definitely head to Ibrox for the final derby showdown of the campaign, and the Hoops have already travelled to Paisley twice so far this season meaning they will welcome Stephen Robinson's side to celtic Park when the fixtures are announced. 

In contrast, Stephen Robinson's men have visited Ibrox twice already this season and will be looking to welcome Michael Beale's men to St Mirren Park after narrowly making the top six. Aside from the Buddies', Rangers have travelled away twice to each team in the top six and have hosted them once.

During the 38-game season all sides are expected to have 19 games at home and 19 away, but with the introduction of the split it has been difficult for the SPFL to have that every season and they face a dilemma. Rangers had been due four home games but now face the prospect of additional trips on the road now the placings have been rubber stamped. 

In contrast, celtic would be due to have four away games away post split but look set to land an additional home game. They will have to play one of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen three times at home this campaign.

The SPFL rule book states: "All clubs will play a minimum of two and a maximum of three home fixtures after the split. We try to ensure that all clubs finish the season with a home fixture in round 37 or 38 - they would typically be away from home on the other matchday."
The SPFL rule book states: "All clubs will play a minimum of two and a maximum of three home fixtures after the split. We try to ensure that all clubs finish the season with a home fixture in round 37 or 38 - they would typically be away from home on the other matchday."

I don’t think I’ve ever paid any attention to the points total of team in 7th and compared it to the 6th or 5th team.

I don’t really have a massive problem with the split, although I think we should have a 14 team top league, that splits at half way with a top 6 and bottom 8. Then play each other twice - top 6 teams would have 36 matches, bottom 8 would have 40. Reduces extra game against the shite, and gives an extra 2 home games for bottom teams helps to compensate for only 2 games at home against an old firm team.

3 hours ago, AdzKyle said:

One of the worst things about our league in my opinion. Teams in the bottom 6 ending up on more points than those above them etc. Look how it works out this year….

SPFL face Rangers post split fixture dilemma with celtic away day contrast becoming clear as St Mirren factor emerges

Michael Beale and Ange Postecogou will be waiting for the top six fixture list to be revealed in the coming days.

Rangers face the prospect of missing out on a home game this term - while celtic are set to gain an additional clash at Parkehad when the post-split Premiership fixtures are revealed.

St Mirren and Hibs sealed a spot in the top six with Aberdeen and Hearts after Livingston slipped up against relegation-threatened Dundee United, with the SPFL now left with a major headache as they attempt to work out the crucial run-in. Ange Postecoglou's men will definitely head to Ibrox for the final derby showdown of the campaign, and the Hoops have already travelled to Paisley twice so far this season meaning they will welcome Stephen Robinson's side to celtic Park when the fixtures are announced. 

In contrast, Stephen Robinson's men have visited Ibrox twice already this season and will be looking to welcome Michael Beale's men to St Mirren Park after narrowly making the top six. Aside from the Buddies', Rangers have travelled away twice to each team in the top six and have hosted them once.

During the 38-game season all sides are expected to have 19 games at home and 19 away, but with the introduction of the split it has been difficult for the SPFL to have that every season and they face a dilemma. Rangers had been due four home games but now face the prospect of additional trips on the road now the placings have been rubber stamped. 

In contrast, celtic would be due to have four away games away post split but look set to land an additional home game. They will have to play one of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen three times at home this campaign.

23 years later and people are still saying this, it's not true.

They're two completely separate leagues, we have a 12 team league for 33 weeks, that's it and that's where the 12 team league ends, then we have two leagues of 6, whatever happens in one league has zero bearing in what happens in the other, that's on the powers that be though, they should market it far better than they've ever attempted, I get why outsiders looking at it might be confused without the obvious context but fans of clubs within our league should fully understand it by now and not conflate the issue.

The 19 home/19 away thing is annoying because you can end up going away to another top 6 side for an extra game, but on the whole the split is a good thing. Top 6 teams playing each other and bottom 6 playing each other makes for more entertainment in the final weeks of the season.

1 hour ago, NixonRFC said:

23 years later and people are still saying this, it's not true.

They're two completely separate leagues, we have a 12 team league for 33 weeks, that's it and that's where the 12 team league ends, then we have two leagues of 6, whatever happens in one league has zero bearing in what happens in the other, that's on the powers that be though, they should market it far better than they've ever attempted, I get why outsiders looking at it might be confused without the obvious context but fans of clubs within our league should fully understand it by now and not conflate the issue.

Of course it had a bearing. Not that long ago a team in 7th place had more points than those above them. Depending on how close the points were they could have more points than a team in a European position. 
Yes they may have earned those points against weaker opponents but the whole thing is a complete farce. 
Bigger league should have been approved long ago. Playing the same teams 4 times a season is a nonsense, never mind the farcical home and away nonsense after the split. 

1 minute ago, AdzKyle said:

Of course it had a bearing. Not that long ago a team in 7th place had more points than those above them. Depending on how close the points were they could have more points than a team in a European position. 
Yes they may have earned those points against weaker opponents but the whole thing is a complete farce. 
Bigger league should have been approved long ago. Playing the same teams 4 times a season is a nonsense, never mind the farcical home and away nonsense after the split. 

It's like you didn't even read what I said.

It doesn't have any bearing because it's literally a different league, 7th place having more points than 6th place has the same bearing on the League as Rangers does having more points than Man City, after week 33 it's two completely different leagues.

15 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

It's like you didn't even read what I said.

It doesn't have any bearing because it's literally a different league, 7th place having more points than 6th place has the same bearing on the League as Rangers does having more points than Man City, after week 33 it's two completely different leagues.

Yes and that’s the issue!! You shouldn’t have teams playing each other for 90%of the season and then all of a sudden your games just don’t matter as you’re in 7th or 8th place. You could be way above the relegation zone and potentially within a point or two of Europe before the split. There shouldn’t be a split full stop. It’s awful 

5 hours ago, AdzKyle said:

What I dont understand is after so many years of the split so many people/media still cant get their head around it. Its stupid but simple.

Rangers-celtic will never play each other home/away an uneven amount of times. After the split you will always play a team an extra home or away game.

10 minutes ago, AdzKyle said:

Yes and that’s the issue!! You shouldn’t have teams playing each other for 90%of the season and then all of a sudden your games just don’t matter as you’re in 7th or 8th place. You could be way above the relegation zone and potentially within a point or two of Europe before the split. There shouldn’t be a split full stop. It’s awful 

You're still not fully understanding it, the league is a 33 game regular season, whether that's a good format or not is a completely different discussion but the regular season ends after matchday 33, your final league placing after that then dictates what section you qualify for.

What happens beyond that only concerns teams in their own section, again though this is more of a fault of the then SPL now SPFL for not marketing it properly but there is no 7th place beyond week 33, it's just two mini leagues of six.

1 minute ago, Albertz85 said:

What I dont understand is after so many years of the split so many people/media still cant get their head around it. Its stupid but simple.

Rangers-celtic will never play each other home/away an uneven amount of times. After the split you will always play a team an extra home or away game.

And there like you say lies the stupidity. It can be as simple as it likes but it’s ridiculous and adds to what’s already a boring league. Extend it and play teams less. 

1 minute ago, NixonRFC said:

You're still not fully understanding it, the league is a 33 game regular season, whether that's a good format or not is a completely different discussion but the regular season ends after matchday 33, your final league placing after that then dictates what section you qualify for.

What happens beyond that only concerns teams in their own section, again though this is more of a fault of the then SPL now SPFL for not marketing it properly but there is no 7th place beyond week 33, it's just two mini leagues of six.

I understand it just fine. I just don’t agree with it. We shall agree to disagree. It’s a game of opinions after all. 
Personal preference would be an 18 team league. Better for the fans and not as boring as playing the same teams 4 times a year. 

1 minute ago, Albertz85 said:

The only time it could've been a possibility was in 2016-17 when we got back up into League, if the tims were due a 3rd home game after the split then it should have been a third game against us as we would've been the lowest ranked club from the previous season, realistically that wouldn't have happened though and it highlights that these fixtures are manipulated rather than from a 'super computer'

2 minutes ago, AdzKyle said:

I understand it just fine. I just don’t agree with it. We shall agree to disagree. It’s a game of opinions after all. 
Personal preference would be an 18 team league. Better for the fans and not as boring as playing the same teams 4 times a year. 

Anyone complaining that 7th has more points than anyone in the top six doesn't sound like they understand it to be honest because it has no correlation, like I say if you don't like the format that's fine but it's two completely different things.

It's like the tims who moaned they got more points than us in our Europa group last season yet we qualified and they didn't, it means nothing.

As for an 18 team League, I'm no sure, I get the arguments for it but would I rather home games against Dundee, Thistle, ICT, Ayr, Queens Park and Morton at the expense of a second game against the tims, sheep, Hearts and Hibs? 

How does that affect season tickets, do 45k still sell out if we cut the amount of big games in half, do the club slash their season ticket prices to reflect the lack of big games those season tickets now guaranteed you?

16 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

The only time it could've been a possibility was in 2016-17 when we got back up into League, if the tims were due a 3rd home game after the split then it should have been a third game against us as we would've been the lowest ranked club from the previous season, realistically that wouldn't have happened though and it highlights that these fixtures are manipulated rather than from a 'super computer'

Exactly. Id say even if it is ran through a computer there are so many factors built in manually i.e Rangers cant play celtic 3 times home or away, same with hibs/hearts its almost pointless

3 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

The split is fucking shit and anyone that thinks it's any good, please let the rest of us know, why?

It genuinely serves no benefit, certainly not entertaining either.

I'd rather a bigger league.

Problem is sky will walk away from the shitey deal in place without 4 old firm games

42 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Anyone complaining that 7th has more points than anyone in the top six doesn't sound like they understand it to be honest because it has no correlation, like I say if you don't like the format that's fine but it's two completely different things.

It's like the tims who moaned they got more points than us in our Europa group last season yet we qualified and they didn't, it means nothing.

As for an 18 team League, I'm no sure, I get the arguments for it but would I rather home games against Dundee, Thistle, ICT, Ayr, Queens Park and Morton at the expense of a second game against the tims, sheep, Hearts and Hibs? 

How does that affect season tickets, do 45k still sell out if we cut the amount of big games in half, do the club slash their season ticket prices to reflect the lack of big games those season tickets now guaranteed you?

Once again I understand it just fine. I just think it’s an utter shambles. 

7 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

The split is fucking shit and anyone that thinks it's any good, please let the rest of us know, why?

I just don't understand why anyone would be ok with and be happy with the league format in its current flawed state. 

Nobody should have an extra home or away game on their fixture list. It unfairly hampers some teams and gives an advantage to others. Regardless of who gets the extra home fixture, it does make the league season uneven and gives an advantage. Same with the relegation part of the league. 

Larger league would be my answer, play each team home and away and that's it. 

I know the argument will be about any Sky tv deal being dependent on Old Firm games, but the product is going stale.

21 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I just don't understand why anyone would be ok with and be happy with the league format in its current flawed state. 

Nobody should have an extra home or away game on their fixture list. It unfairly hampers some teams and gives an advantage to others. Regardless of who gets the extra home fixture, it does make the league season uneven and gives an advantage. Same with the relegation part of the league. 

Larger league would be my answer, play each team home and away and that's it. 

I know the argument will be about any Sky tv deal being dependent on Old Firm games, but the product is going stale.

That's literally the only reason we have the split, so that the SPFL can get those extra old firms and appease Sky.

I say fuck them, Sky doesn't care for nor wish to pay decent money for showing this league, so why should the league be suited to them.

As @J-Maestro said, fuck them.

Tired of how our league has to be set up being dictated to us because Sky want this or that, they don't care, piss off.

40 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

For me, three/four teams fighting out relegation having to play each other is more interesting. 

In the same way, in any normal title challenging season, it's more tense having to play top 6 teams while we're trying to win a title. And again, by the same token, the teams fighting it out for Europe playing each other is interesting to me. 

The main flaw is the extra away fixture, which is obviously shite. 

I'd rather a bigger league, but I don't mind the split.