Olympics 2024

54 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Why are long jumpers so pish compared to the Lewis/Powell days?

The longest jump this year is a foot short of the world record. 

There is only one jump in the last 15 years in the top 20 jumps of all time. 

Proper drug testing the quite obvious factor here.

But yes, apart from Tentoglou who is superb, there is a lack of talent out there.

Still mental that Beamon popped out an 8.90m nearly 60 years ago (still the OR).

3 hours ago, JamieD said:

I watched him hitting with Lendl and a bunch of random children on the practice courts at the O2 in 2012 and he seemed like a very relaxed, outgoing, fun bloke.

Unsurprisingly he's more reserved in front of cameras and interviewers who asked him shite about the England football team and Dunblane. 

I’ve always liked his rather dull sense of humour if that makes sense.

IMG_0998.jpeg

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I don't really get the hammer throw. They should throw an actual hammer. Like a big fuck off sledge hammer. Or a Thor's hammer.

Anytime I hear that word I just now automatically think of RM’s description of tackling in Scotland.

5 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Proper drug testing the quite obvious factor here.

But yes, apart from Tentoglou who is superb, there is a lack of talent out there.

Still mental that Beamon popped out an 8.90m nearly 60 years ago (still the OR).

I suppose, but can that really account for the huge gulf? And why has it had such an impact on long jump compared to other track events?

Firstly, I'm sure the top athletes are still juicing, and secondly, even though Carl Lewis definitely was, he was built like a greyhound rather than a pitbull like Ben Johnson, so he must have been at least somewhat cautious about it. 

9 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

I’ve always liked his rather dull sense of humour if that makes sense.

IMG_0998.jpeg

Yeah, he's class. 

Considering what an unpleasant demeanour he could have in court, especially in his younger days, he has always seemed like a really good bloke off it to me. 

2 hours ago, JamieD said:

Ok, so you concede that women can have XY chromosomes and your statement was false. 

As for the part about not needing men to do your thinking for you, take a day off. If you are only prepared to discuss things with women, that's your business, but don't try to cloak it in some sort of pseudo-feminism :lol:

In very rare 1 in 80,000 cases yes. That boxer is biologically male with the added advantage. 

I happily discuss things with men and women. I just do not need mansplaining. I find that an insult. 

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

Even if she does have XY chromosomes, BNB has no idea whatsoever whether she is indeed one of the exceptions BNB has already acknowledged exist. She just wants her to be a man. 

No as I do not like seeing men hitting women. The IOC have fucked up big time.

7 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

In very rare 1 in 80,000 cases yes. That boxer is biologically male with the added advantage. 2 different tests at 2 different labs found it to be the case and he dropped his appeal while the Taipei man did not even bother to appeal. 

I happily discuss things with men and women. I just do not need mansplaining. I find that an insult. 

So now being told you are wrong is 'mansplaining' ?

She withdrew her appeal because by then the IBA was no longer recognised by IOC, so it no longer mattered. Since you seem so certain though: Can you explain which tests both athletes failed and what the metrics were ? Because the IBA never made it clear. You can't ban someone and then never say why, that's unfair to the athlete. It's similar imo to when we got punished for songs sung in Eindhoven but UEFA or FARE couldn't tell us which songs.

Why was there no uproar when Khelif lost to Kellie Harrington in 2020 ?

Just take the L and move on instead of playing the victim here.

21 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

In very rare 1 in 80,000 cases yes. That boxer is biologically male with the added advantage. 

What's the source for Khelif being male?

2 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

The gender tests he failed disclosing xy chromosomes and elevated testosterone consistent with undescended testes. 

https://www.iba.sport/news/statement-made-by-the-international-boxing-association-regarding-athletes-disqualifications-in-world-boxing-championships-2023/

Point to note, the athletes did not undergo a testosterone examination but were subject to a separate and recognized test, whereby the specifics remain confidential.

So they did not in fact do testosterone examinations and apart from that they refuse to specify which tests were taken. But you somehow know ?

8 minutes ago, Jelle1880 said:

So now being told you are wrong is 'mansplaining' ?

She withdrew her appeal because by then the IBA was no longer recognised by IOC, so it no longer mattered. Since you seem so certain though: Can you explain which tests both athletes failed and what the metrics were ? Because the IBA never made it clear. You can't ban someone and then never say why, that's unfair to the athlete. It's similar imo to when we got punished for songs sung in Eindhoven but UEFA or FARE couldn't tell us which songs.

Why was there no uproar when Khelif lost to Kellie Harrington in 2020 ?

Just take the L and move on instead of playing the victim here.

I am playing nothing. The IOC have fucked up as they could have done cheek swab tests to answer the doubts but did not. They went by what was on a passport which is not scientific at all. The IOC had a duty to remove doubts and they did not. While it is not the boxers' faults as it is literally their genetic makeup which is beyond anyone's control, they also could have assisted by having tests to allay doubt. The test is a cheek swab so not invasive. 

That aside the boob grab was also bang out of order.

1 minute ago, Jelle1880 said:

https://www.iba.sport/news/statement-made-by-the-international-boxing-association-regarding-athletes-disqualifications-in-world-boxing-championships-2023/

So they did not in fact do testosterone examinations and apart from that they refuse to specify which tests were taken. But you somehow know ?

They failed gender tests meaning they are not female.

Just now, Blue Nosed Babe said:

They failed gender tests meaning they are not female.

You don't know which tests though, just admit it. Even the organisation themselves clearly say they won't specify which tests, so how can you be sure what they failed ?

And maybe a cheek swab would have been a good option, but something tells me you'd still complain if that would determine that she is biologically a female.

32 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

I don't see any reason why I should treat you any differently to a male poster. I would find that insulting if I were you. 

What you said was factually untrue, and I couldn't care less if you find it insulting to have it pointed out.

32 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

No as I do not like seeing men hitting women. The IOC have fucked up big time.

Nobody has established that she is a man. You don't know that she is a man. It doesn't matter how often you claim it. The only assertion made by the IBA is that she has XY chromosomes, which you have conceded 1 in 80,000 women have.

3 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

The gender tests he failed disclosing xy chromosomes and elevated testosterone consistent with undescended testes. 

She competed at the 2018 and 2019 AIBA women's world championship events with zero issues as to her eligibility. She competed at the 2020 Olympics (back when the IOC recognised the IBA) and again there was no issue of eligibility.

2022 world championship also saw no issue re eligibility. She was also deemed eligible to compete in the 2023 world championship. Her failed test came after her semi-final victory and after she defeated a Russian boxer in the earlier round of 16. You say the IOC have fucked this, but you're relying on the statements + conduct of the IBA which is incredibly shaky ground if you're at all familiar with their background.