Good article preview on tonight's match....

Boab

Stakes high as Belgrade clash poses toughest test of Smith's Ibrox career

STEPHEN HALLIDAY IN BELGRADE

WALTER Smith believes he is facing the sternest test of his Rangers career tonight as he attempts to guide his embryonic team into the group stage of the Champions League.

It is a feat Smith achieved three times during his seven-year tenure as Rangers manager first time around, but on each occasion he did so with a settled side who went into the tournament as champions of their own country.

In the city labelled the crossroads of Europe, Smith's current unproven vintage will tonight veer down one of two starkly differing paths as they defend a 1-0 first leg lead against Crvena Zvezda in the third qualifying round of the elite tournament. If they do so successfully, they will make their way into Thursday's group stage draw. Failure against the team formerly known as Red Star Belgrade will consign Rangers to the first-round draw of the far less rewarding UEFA Cup on Friday.

Seven straight wins at home and in Europe so far this season have raised expectations among Rangers supporters that Smith can repeat the success of his first stint in charge of the Ibrox club, but the veteran manager is aware that the true worth of his hastily assembled squad will be glimpsed for the first time in front of a hostile 54,000 sell-out crowd in the Serbian champions' Marakana Stadium. "We've thrown this side together quickly and while they've done extremely well this is their first real test," said Smith. "A lot of teams in the Champions League are settled. They've won a championship together and they've been over the course together. That isn't the case with this Rangers team. We are having to work hard to build up that confidence and that belief.

"It's a massive challenge because we need to reach the highest level with a team that's just been put together. As a team we don't really know what we're going into. It's the hardest thing in the world to achieve while trying to put together a new team. It is the hardest job I've probably faced at Rangers but I believe the boys are ready for the challenge.

"I want to see how the lads handle the situation. Never mind the financial aspect of it, it's about whether or not my boys want to be involved in the Champions League. In Scotland right now our game is surrounded by so many different things that people have lost sight of the real issue which is the football. Players want to play in the Champions League and that's what this is about. We all want to be involved on that stage.

"I don't know if I would say I have missed the pressure of these games, but it's why I'm here. If I didn't want to accept the challenge I wouldn't have take up the opportunity to return to Rangers. It's a challenge I'm relishing."

The sight of Daniel Cousin boarding Rangers' early morning charter flight to Belgrade yesterday was a heartening one for Smith, although the Gabonese striker will face a late test on the calf injury he sustained at Kilmarnock on Saturday before a decision is made on his involvement tonight. It appears more likely that Jean-Claude Darcheville, an impressive half-time replacement for Cousin at Rugby Park, will be deployed as the lone striker in a 4-1-4-1 formation. Smith, however, is determined that it will be anything but a rearguard action from his team and is confident they can register at least one away goal.

"Red Star will have to be offensive because they need to score but I think they will be patient," he said. "But I'm not really concerned about them. We are not here to sit back and defend and we'll be doing a fair bit of attacking ourselves.

"We kept a clean sheet and scored in the last minute at Ibrox so an away goal could be crucial. All of our strikers are playing well and I'm confident we can score here. I'm sure Red Star will be wary of that and they won't want to lose a goal."

While much has been made of what is regarded as one of the most febrile environments in European football, Smith has no fears over the ability of his players to cope with whatever din Red Star's notorious Delije support can conjure up.

"Atmosphere never beat a team," he said. "You have to expect it to be hostile but I'm sure we will handle it. There is a high level of motivation for both teams and that would still be the case if we were playing in an empty stadium. It's what happens on the pitch that counts and you have to bear in mind that players relish these kind of occasions."

From the Scotsman

Stakes high as Belgrade clash poses toughest test of Smith's Ibrox career

STEPHEN HALLIDAY IN BELGRADE

WALTER Smith believes he is facing the sternest test of his Rangers career tonight as he attempts to guide his embryonic team into the group stage of the Champions League.

It is a feat Smith achieved three times during his seven-year tenure as Rangers manager first time around, but on each occasion he did so with a settled side who went into the tournament as champions of their own country.

In the city labelled the crossroads of Europe, Smith's current unproven vintage will tonight veer down one of two starkly differing paths as they defend a 1-0 first leg lead against Crvena Zvezda in the third qualifying round of the elite tournament. If they do so successfully, they will make their way into Thursday's group stage draw. Failure against the team formerly known as Red Star Belgrade will consign Rangers to the first-round draw of the far less rewarding UEFA Cup on Friday.

Seven straight wins at home and in Europe so far this season have raised expectations among Rangers supporters that Smith can repeat the success of his first stint in charge of the Ibrox club, but the veteran manager is aware that the true worth of his hastily assembled squad will be glimpsed for the first time in front of a hostile 54,000 sell-out crowd in the Serbian champions' Marakana Stadium. "We've thrown this side together quickly and while they've done extremely well this is their first real test," said Smith. "A lot of teams in the Champions League are settled. They've won a championship together and they've been over the course together. That isn't the case with this Rangers team. We are having to work hard to build up that confidence and that belief.

"It's a massive challenge because we need to reach the highest level with a team that's just been put together. As a team we don't really know what we're going into. It's the hardest thing in the world to achieve while trying to put together a new team. It is the hardest job I've probably faced at Rangers but I believe the boys are ready for the challenge.

"I want to see how the lads handle the situation. Never mind the financial aspect of it, it's about whether or not my boys want to be involved in the Champions League. In Scotland right now our game is surrounded by so many different things that people have lost sight of the real issue which is the football. Players want to play in the Champions League and that's what this is about. We all want to be involved on that stage.

"I don't know if I would say I have missed the pressure of these games, but it's why I'm here. If I didn't want to accept the challenge I wouldn't have take up the opportunity to return to Rangers. It's a challenge I'm relishing."

The sight of Daniel Cousin boarding Rangers' early morning charter flight to Belgrade yesterday was a heartening one for Smith, although the Gabonese striker will face a late test on the calf injury he sustained at Kilmarnock on Saturday before a decision is made on his involvement tonight. It appears more likely that Jean-Claude Darcheville, an impressive half-time replacement for Cousin at Rugby Park, will be deployed as the lone striker in a 4-1-4-1 formation. Smith, however, is determined that it will be anything but a rearguard action from his team and is confident they can register at least one away goal.

"Red Star will have to be offensive because they need to score but I think they will be patient," he said. "But I'm not really concerned about them. We are not here to sit back and defend and we'll be doing a fair bit of attacking ourselves.

"We kept a clean sheet and scored in the last minute at Ibrox so an away goal could be crucial. All of our strikers are playing well and I'm confident we can score here. I'm sure Red Star will be wary of that and they won't want to lose a goal."

While much has been made of what is regarded as one of the most febrile environments in European football, Smith has no fears over the ability of his players to cope with whatever din Red Star's notorious Delije support can conjure up.

"Atmosphere never beat a team," he said. "You have to expect it to be hostile but I'm sure we will handle it. There is a high level of motivation for both teams and that would still be the case if we were playing in an empty stadium. It's what happens on the pitch that counts and you have to bear in mind that players relish these kind of occasions."

From the Scotsman

I would be quite happy to sit and watch a boring 0-0 draw tonight ....

I like Walter's comment "Atmosphere never beat a team" Bang on.

I really beleieve -- truly believe -- that our lads are up to this challenge. We get through tonight and it defines our season. We've been here before, but for some reason tonight seems so much more massive? Or maybe I just forget that its always like this? Love it.