UEFA praise Rangers for action against bigotry

Ibroxblue

Aye, my thoughts too Frankie. Just goes to show the devious minds of his like.

Let's be fair here - he did think the Celtic support were 'crass' once... ;)

Here's something Spiers said about Celtic fans:

"Celtic can hardly be smug about it all. You get the distinct impression that some at Parkhead have revelled in the public embarrassment caused to Rangers by UEFA, but anyone who has listened to the Celtic away support droning on about the IRA and other such rubbish will know that their house is hardly clean. These days, in terms of a football club's reputation, neither of the Old Firm can rest easy."

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's your take on things rather than actual, direct knowledge.

Erm, what else could one take from UEFA and the club praising us after that song was sung?

Furthermore, I have as much (probably a fair amount more in fact) 'actual, direct knowledge' about the issue as Graham Spiers.

But let's ignore what UEFA and the club say in favour of giving a discredited journalist the benefit of the doubt. :D

What did YOU take from the article, IB?

I took that the club and fans have made a lot of progress but, as someone said, there's a bit more work to be done.

i am sure that your not to keen on some of our songs,i think you said that on some of your posts. :rolleyes:

ibroxblue tell us what you think of derrys walls and the sash. :rolleyes:

Facts are this.

DW is a fine folk song. Not exactly Rangers orientated per se but neither is it offensive (without the FTP add ons obviously). Spiers said so himself a few weeks back.

Club are more than happy for the fans to sing these songs - not once have they tried to stop it via the self-policing discussions I've been personally privvy to (with the chairman, Martin Bain and Kenny Scott/LM).

UEFA are more than happy for the fans to sing these songs.

Graham Spiers isn't. That's why he's written the last paragraph. Same old, same old from a tired, discredited, biased journalist. It's actually quite funny. :D

Here's something Spiers said about Celtic fans:

"Celtic can hardly be smug about it all. You get the distinct impression that some at Parkhead have revelled in the public embarrassment caused to Rangers by UEFA, but anyone who has listened to the Celtic away support droning on about the IRA and other such rubbish will know that their house is hardly clean. These days, in terms of a football club's reputation, neither of the Old Firm can rest easy."

Excellent - that's 2 'extremely negative' pieces. I'm sure we could both find a few more - small fry when compared to his numerous anti-Rangers rhetoric.

What did he write the other week when 40,000+ Celtic fans sung about h*** to Hearts fans?

Also, had he made representations to the authorities regarding Celtic's nasty songs? And when has he named any words from them or the songs themselves?

ibroxblue tell us what you think of derrys walls and the sash. :rolleyes:

Facts are this.

DW is a fine folk song. Not exactly Rangers orientated per se but neither is it offensive (without the FTP add ons obviously). Spiers said so himself a few weeks back.

Club are more than happy for the fans to sing these songs - not once have they tried to stop it via the self-policing discussions I've been personally privvy to (with the chairman, Martin Bain and Kenny Scott/LM).

UEFA are more than happy for the fans to sing these songs.

Graham Spiers isn't. That's why he's written the last paragraph. Same old, same old from a tired, discredited, biased journalist. It's actually quite funny. :D

I'm not so sure the club are "more than happy" for the fans to sing Derry's Walls and The Sash. They haven't said so. They haven't put them in the Wee Blue Book or on the big screens. I reckon the club are content to leave them alone as long as they're not going to get us in trouble (and I have a similar attitude myself).

I'm not so sure the club are "more than happy" for the fans to sing Derry's Walls and The Sash. They haven't said so. They haven't put them in the Wee Blue Book or on the big screens. I reckon the club are content to leave them alone as long as they're not going to get us in trouble (and I have a similar attitude myself).

Rule Brittania and GSTQ are not in the blue guide either.

Does that mean the club are not more than happy for them to be sung? No it's because the club want to keep the Blue Guide strictly with Rangers football songs.

If they didn't want DW sung they would have said so. They haven't and have praised the fans very strongly after games in which the songs were sung with gusto. It couldn't be any plainer.

As such, Spier's mischievous 'add-on' is only their to stir up controversy. This does spoil a good message from UEFA but I'm not surprised or upset really. It's just tedious and probably explains why Spiers' stock is forever decreasing.

Also, at the start of this season, one over-enthusiastic policeman wanted to try and stop a section of fans singing the Sash.

After discussions between one supporter, a supporter's representative, a club representative and the senior policeman, it was made clear by the club employee and the policeman the song was acceptable and the club 'more than happy' for it to be sung. The club have never intimated otherwise from the chairman down.

But, let's not let the facts get in the way of a bit of unfounded controversy.

not that song per say, although we are goin to get punished! its comman fact that we are constantly watched as we are far worse than celtic, look how many flute bands we have, how many "add ons" we have in our songs, just warning other bears that we are goin to cause problems for ourselfs

is it giro day tomorrow. :rolleyes:

not that song per say, although we are goin to get punished! its comman fact that we are constantly watched as we are far worse than celtic, look how many flute bands we have, how many "add ons" we have in our songs, just warning other bears that we are goin to cause problems for ourselfs

UP THE RA! YA GOBSHITE!!

fuck off back to your own smelly board.

UP THE RA! YA GOBSHITE!!

stark contrast from bears forums compared to celtic forums, where every 2nd post contains the words "dirty h**" or "orange b*stards"

UP THE RA! YA GOBSHITE!!

stark contrast from bears forums compared to celtic forums, where every 2nd post contains the words "dirty h**" or "orange b*stards"

As well as better grammar (the odd typo aside) :)

Very good to read but what does he have to back up the bit below. Or is it an attempt to have Derry's Walls targeted now? Or is it late and I am a tad cynical?? ;)

Behind the scenes, Rangers still have misgivings about certain songs, such as Derry’s Walls, a chant with unfortunate connotations which some supporters have adopted with a certain gusto.

It's strange how Graham is always happy to name Rangers songs 'with unfortunate connotations' but hardly ever any other team's...

Nothing wrong with DW - not from the club or the UEFA's standpoint. Spiers is just mischief-making as usual.

Apparently that's because he's a bluenose and so has ownership of our songs :lol:

UP THE RA! YA GOBSHITE!!

Isn't it just.

The lack of order amongst their management team and players really does come from the shambles they call a support.

Rule Brittania and GSTQ are not in the blue guide either.

Does that mean the club are not more than happy for them to be sung? No it's because the club want to keep the Blue Guide strictly with Rangers football songs.

If they didn't want DW sung they would have said so. They haven't and have praised the fans very strongly after games in which the songs were sung with gusto. It couldn't be any plainer.

Of course it could. The club could actually make a public statement saying it was "more than happy" with these songs, which it hasn't done. As for praise of the fans, it's obviously in the club's interests to do this whenever possible - it's part of the PR over this issue.

But let's try to focus on the main issue which is a good report for the club from UEFA.

Apart from the final little paragraph, it was good to see positive publicity for once, and yet still very little on the Ibrox initiative of welcoming the German fans.

As for certain songs not being in the little blue book, is it not possible that certain songs aren't in there because Rangers are aware that the fans know the lyrics that well they don't need to be published?

Of course it could. The club could actually make a public statement saying it was "more than happy" with these songs, which it hasn't done. As for praise of the fans, it's obviously in the club's interests to do this whenever possible - it's part of the PR over this issue.

But let's try to focus on the main issue which is a good report for the club from UEFA.

Why should the club make a statement saying it's happy with these songs? It's obvious from what they say every time they praise us.

Should they make a statement saying they're happy with the Union flag being flown as well? Or can we safely assume they are more than happy with that as well given it's prominence at the stadium.

But, you're correct. Let's try to focus on the main issue which is a good report from the club. Pity Mr Spiers couldn't do that without his usual brand of sh!t-stirring, eh?

Club praise fans. UEFA praise fans. Fans praise fans. Discredited, biased journalist makes unfounded allegation. Yawn.

there was a guy from uefa in a paper this morning spraffin off about how we were the shame of scottish football and how we should act more like the tartan army in france and celtic in seville... then this article comes out... i ferkin wonder sometimes

A litle bit of research tells you that said UEFA Official retired in July.

The story is a tissue of lies.

there was a guy from uefa in a paper this morning spraffin off about how we were the shame of scottish football and how we should act more like the tartan army in france and celtic in seville... then this article comes out... i ferkin wonder sometimes

A litle bit of research tells you that said UEFA Official retired in July.

The story is a tissue of lies.

well done manticore it just shows the lies that are printed.