"Never down and Out" mentality

Muff

When the f*ck are we goint to adopt what celtic have?

You just knew that they were going to score today while yesterday you knew that we wouldn't. It's been like this for f*cken years. They believe, we don't.

This is what p*sses me off so much. It's the difference between 1st and 2nd!

I don't understand it at all to be honest. Do they actually have something in them, or is it just luck ?

In the past, when they had characters like Lambert, Lennon, Sutton, Hartson, Larsson.......you can see where they got that winning mentality.

But what do they have now in their side ? It's quite an average looking outfit, that lacks character. So I actually think it's just a mixture of luck today, and an inexperienced side that failed to keep their composure at the death.

Will be interesting to see whether Celtic get as many late wins over the course of the season as they have done in recent years.

Guest The Brown Brogue

Their players and management also seem genuinely pissed off when they lose, ours just shrug their shoulders and say oh well thats football.

Half the time a lot of our players dont even look like they can be bothered playing a game of football, let alone care whether they win it of not.

Guest The Brown Brogue
Was this not one of the reasons that Smith and Coisty were brought in for?

Absolutely, thats why it beggars belief that this attitude seems to have crept back in this season.

They at least have players who can change a game even if they have been playing p*sh. Nakamura, McGeady, Brown, Donati can all do it, unfortunatley we dont really have a player who can do that. Also we need a settled team to achieve this.

Agreed, it's becoming quite a concern.

I think what Celtic have is a kind of a cultural legacy from the MON era. They may have sold off most of the players that were around then, but the never-say-die spirit has stayed with the squad in general. They certainly cope much better than us in these situations at present, and it's definitely not just luck when it keeps happening over and over again.

As for ourselves, I think we stay in Europe mode far too much, and we need to start coming out of our shell again in the league. It doesn't help when the tactics are ridiculously scared as they were yesterday; it was a complete balls-up from Walter and I suspect he knows this himself. It's fine to sit off your opponents in Europe, but in the SPL you have to compete and be the aggressor. It's no good trying to tactically pick off your opponents in this league.

I think when we start putting more attacking players out there, we'll start to grind out results too.

Their players and management also seem genuinely pissed off when they lose, ours just shrug their shoulders and say oh well thats football.

Half the time a lot of our players dont even look like they can be bothered playing a game of football, let alone care whether they win it of not.

You hit the nail squarely on the head there. (tu)

It's not something that can just be adopted in a short space of time.

It takes years of team building aswell as actually achieving something to build up the self belif and nack of winning that Celtic have at the moment.

It pains me to say it, but they play lik champions, we don't. It's really that simple.

Yes they have added players to their team each year, but their key players: Nakamura, McGeady, Boruc, McManus are also their settled players who are rarely out the team.

The players they add do better than ours becuase there is a general feel good factor around the piggery and that has been for years now.

We have had too many stop starts and too many changes in personnel to be anywhere close to where they are in that respect and the pendulum wont swing back our way until we find a settled team and start winning trophies again.

They at least have players who can change a game even if they have been playing p*sh. Nakamura, McGeady, Brown, Donati can all do it, unfortunatley we dont really have a player who can do that. Also we need a settled team to achieve this.

:beer2: (tu)

The really awkward question is does this extend into the fan base as well?

Only if the team and management let it, as on yesterday. They all have the power to change this, as they showed against Lyon. Self belief, benching the plonkers, and EFFORT above all else will get the results that we all desire.

The players they add do better than ours becuase there is a general feel good factor around the piggery and that has been for years now.

Is there not one around Ibrox, new season new management in place that "everyone wants to fight for". Great spirit in the dressing room. Look who we brought in, Darchy, McCulloch, Whittaker, Cousin, Naisy etc. A lot of them are Scottish, they should know the Rangers way, half the time Whittaker and Adam do not look interested.

To get that winning mentality you have to have a settled side, chopping and changing will effect that.

wow -- an I thought the pikeys were the ones always feeling sorry for themselves.

Chill out guys - they were playing the worst ever side ever to play in the SPL - and came within 5 minutes of being humiliated. That wasnt luck today, or a winning mentality. That was just the proper order of things restoring themselves. remember hibs beat septic too. sellick started losing that winning mentality last year - it's pretty much gone for good now. away from mechanodome they are pure gash. sadly, we're on a poor run at the mo but that will change. have patience fellow bears!

wow -- an I thought the pikeys were the ones always feeling sorry for themselves.

Chill out guys - they were playing the worst ever side ever to play in the SPL - and came within 5 minutes of being humiliated. That wasnt luck today, or a winning mentality. That was just the proper order of things restoring themselves. remember hibs beat septic too. sellick started losing that winning mentality last year - it's pretty much gone for good now. away from mechanodome they are pure gash. sadly, we're on a poor run at the mo but that will change. have patience fellow bears!

It's not as if they don't score many last minute winners.

Guest The Brown Brogue

Eh? They have lost that winning mentality, yet they played crap, fought to the end and came away with the win?

Thats exactly what a winning mentality is...

They've already done it 3 times this season, plus won 5-0 on 3 occassions and when they are losing, 9 times out of 10 then come back. They always look like scoring and we dont, there is the difference.