1969 Inter Cities match vs. Newcastle

J_RFC87

We got crammed into the area known as the paddock, cops couldn't control the queues outside and a gate was broken down, a lot got in without tickets, lucky there wasn't a disaster. Before the game in the pubs I remember they said to us we couldn't get tumblers and they gave us the drink in bottles, a lot of windows didn't see the logic of that idea later on. Those Newcastle Brown Ale bottles were heavy fcukers in them days. Also an remember announcement over the tannoy if you come on the park again the game will get abandoned, we were gettin beat 2-0 at that time, nuff said a invasion of the park duly began. Also a few Geordie fans came on behind the goals waving their scarfs and charge of the light blue brigade began ! Ah halcyon daze indeed ! :sherlock:

they were the good old days and the city was left in a bit of a mess.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got crammed into the area known as the paddock, cops couldn't control the queues outside and a gate was broken down, a lot got in without tickets, lucky there wasn't a disaster. Before the game in the pubs I remember they said to us we couldn't get tumblers and they gave us the drink in bottles, a lot of windows didn't see the logic of that idea later on. Those Newcastle Brown Ale bottles were heavy fcukers in them days. Also an remember announcement over the tannoy if you come on the park again the game will get abandoned, we were gettin beat 2-0 at that time, nuff said a invasion of the park duly began. Also a few Geordie fans came on behind the goals waving their scarfs and charge of the light blue brigade began ! Ah halcyon daze indeed ! :sherlock:

they were the good old days and the city was left in a bit of a mess.

Absolutely brilliant, aye them were the days, some hard cases about then, laugh at what passes for a hard nut now. Wouldn't make a patch for our arses they wouldn't, even now ! :sherlock:

Truely adreniline pumping times, only 5 when this Fairs Cup semi took place, so didnt witness it first hand.....but its a game thats passed into folklore .....when the fans were real.......and more importantly took no fecken shite from anyone. WATP.

Some people that go to the games now are not fans. They're just customers. Whereas everybody then lived and breathed Rangers, not sayin there's a not healthy percentage that are like that now, there are it's just that it's the customers that you hear tellin us how Rangers should be. Basically they can go fcuk themselves. W.A.T.P. :sherlock:

no disrespect meant but thats what you call a rangers support. :rolleyes:

Bottle throwing and fighting police dogs - hardly something to be proud of though is it :rolleyes:

Let's not forget when they did throw the bottles most of them landed on our own support. Usually kids! My those were the days indeed. :craphead:

Bottle throwing and fighting police dogs - hardly something to be proud of though is it :rolleyes:

Let's not forget when they did throw the bottles most of them landed on our own support. Usually kids! My those were the days indeed. :craphead:

Were you at the game or around at that time ? :sherlock:

I was only 2 years old in 1969. I missed the game :lol:

You would have been easy to lift over the turnstyle then ? :D:sherlock:

Indeed BLUE ...... I might have been useful. I could have thrown sweeties at the Geordies !!

The Geordie's were sweeties compared to us, but in all that time I never saw any kid get hit with a bottle or injured in them days, kids were protected at matches by family, put out of harms way unlike today where anything goes ! :sherlock:

Indeed BLUE ...... I might have been useful. I could have thrown sweeties at the Geordies !!

The Geordie's were sweeties compared to us, but in all that time I never saw any kid get hit with a bottle or injured in them days, kids were protected at matches by family, put out of harms way unlike today where anything goes ! :sherlock:

I agree. Slightly off topic. I was at the Celtic v Airdrie Cup Final at Hampden in 1975 with my dad and uncle. I had an Airdrie top on. A big Celtic 'fan' behind me decided to piss on me, he was shouting and bawling about the fact I had an Airdrie top on (town where I was born). To be fair, some other guys grabbed him and dragged him out onto the stairs and clouted him. I never saw him again. He must have ran away.

You wonder if that would happen today.

I agree. Slightly off topic. I was at the Celtic v Airdrie Cup Final at Hampden in 1975 with my dad and uncle. I had an Airdrie top on. A big Celtic 'fan' behind me decided to piss on me, he was shouting and bawling about the fact I had an Airdrie top on (town where I was born). To be fair, some other guys grabbed him and dragged him out onto the stairs and clouted him. I never saw him again. He must have ran away.

Some Rangers fans nowadays would remain in the dignified silence mode and let the mhank piss over them and hoped he'd go away. You know like the Rangers management at the moment ! :sherlock:

I fucking love those pictures!!

They really do show what it must've been like in those days when there were no bleating hearts in the support. I wasn't even a glint in my old boys eye then so have never experienced what must've been a superb atmosphere in every game.

Compare it to today when we're being told what we can and can't sing, have to sit down when told and god help anyone who actually defends the fans. I really wish I could time travel.

This was probably the worst that I ever saw first hand, although I was also at Old traford when we took the Stretford end not long after at a friendly, and Filbert Street a few years earlier in a friendly where we took their spion kop. English clubs were terrified of us in those days.

This was probably the worst that I ever saw first hand, although I was also at Old traford when we took the Stretford end not long after at a friendly, and Filbert Street a few years earlier in a friendly where we took their spion kop. English clubs were terrified of us in those days.

Leeds wisnae to clever either but Newcastle maybe because it was the semi Final don't forget got more coverage, the Leeds game the year before was the quarter final. To some extent I think these two game still stick in the minds of the cops down there and they are still wary of us going down to play even a friendly ! :sherlock:

Some Rangers fans nowadays would remain in the dignified silence mode and let the mhank piss over them and hoped he'd go away. You know like the Rangers management at the moment ! :sherlock:

spot on mate in they days we all stood shoulder to shoulder and looked after each other, any bear in trouble would always get help and murray and his cowards on the board would have been chased for not defending our fans.

spot on mate in they days we all stood shoulder to shoulder and looked after each other, any bear in trouble would always get help and murray and his cowards on the board would have been chased for not defending our fans.

Thats why you got to admire Gordon Smith Minst, he's sayin what the dignified silence mob in their ivory tower should be sayin. Before he got the job I was hopin Smith was going to come to Ibrox to do the PR number, gotta funny feelin somewhere along the road that will happen. :sherlock:

I was desparate to go to that game but I was young and my parents wouldn't let me.

But as everybody says the Rangers support were mental in those days, there's the famous ones like Newcastle and Old Trafford, but all over scotland as well, nobody fucked with us.

But that was then and this is now, just wish we could still have the solidarity without the violence.

Btw, isn't this guy cool as feck?

Just standing there half way up a pylon with his hands in his pockets:

sjp-1.jpg

I was desparate to go to that game but I was young and my parents wouldn't let me.

But as everybody says the Rangers support were mental in those days, there's the famous ones like Newcastle and Old Trafford, but all over scotland as well, nobody fucked with us.

But that was then and this is now, just wish we could still have the solidarity without the violence.

Btw, isn't this guy cool as feck?

Just standing there half way up a pylon with his hands in his pockets:

sjp-1.jpg

yes manticore if we could only get that support back without the violence, what a dream that would be.

Were you at the game or around at that time ? :sherlock:

No I was not at the game as I was only 7 at the time but did manage to see most games in the seventies and early eighties. During that time when it was standing room only you would never stand down the front as there was always a chance of a stray bottle or (can full of piss) thrown from further back not reaching the field and hitting some poor soul usually a kid at the front. There was no protection and usually happened when we were losing.

The one game that sticks in my mind was at Fir Park when we were 3-0 or 3-1 down to Motherwell when they started throwing bottles and cans onto the field and the game had to be stopped. When it was restarted big DJ scored a hat trick and we won the game 5-3.