Aberdeen fan 'gang-raped' in Spain (Herald)

Ibroxblue

Football fan gang-raped in Madrid after losing contact with friends

GRAEME SMITH

December 01 2007

Spanish police are investigating the gang rape of a Scottish fan after she became separated from her friends 24 hours before violent clashes as Aberdeen met Atletico Madrid in a Uefa cup tie.

There have been accusations of police brutality during the clashes in which many innocent supporters became victims but in which the notorious "Casuals" of Aberdeen and "Ultras" from Atletico Madrid, groups of hooligans purporting to be fans, were instrumental.

One Aberdeen supporter ended up in intensive care after being beaten by police and 17 others were injured.

The rape victim has not been identified but officials from the British Embassy in Madrid have offered the woman consular help.

A spokeswoman said: "We can confirm we are liaising with the Spanish police in the case of a British woman who was raped in Madrid. We have offered consular assistance."

The fan seriously injured was father-of-two Ian Bremner, 38, who was repeatedly hit over the head by police armed with batons as he walked towards the stadium on Thursday night.

Yesterday, his friend Lindsay Bartlet, 45, said they were disgusted by how the fans were treated by the police and demanded an inquiry into the events. "It was way over the top for the police to charge at us like that, it was completely unprovoked," he said.

"One minute we were walking towards the stadium from the underground Metro station, the next the police were coming at us with batons. Ian was caught up in the violence and was struck over the head several times by the police.

"The police acted like animals and there should be an inquiry into the events."

Mr Bartlet, of Old Aberdeen, said the violence erupted after rival fans threw flares at Dons supporters. "My nephew and I got separated from Ian and we didn't know what happened to him till the next morning when we found out from the consulate he was in hospital," he said.

"He was in a pretty bad way and was in the intensive care unit overnight."

Mr Bremner, a project manager originally from Buckie, Banffshire, has made a good recovery and was expected to be discharged from hospital last night. He lives in Denmark.

The Dons' security chief John Morgan and his assistant Gordon Ritchie, were both knocked over by police horses as they tried to defuse trouble.

As a result of the trouble surrounding the game, Dons director Duncan Fraser, John Morgan and Gordon Ritchie remained in Madrid and have been working closely with the British Consul and Grampian Police officers trying to piece together exactly what happened.

Four undercover Grampian Police officers travelled to Madrid to support the Spanish authorities and are understood to have witnessed several of the incidents.

The club is understood to have expressed serious concerns about potential violence ahead of the tie and in an effort to ensure the appropriate measures were put in place by the Spanish club involved the British Consul.

An Aberdeen FC spokes-man said the club was concerned about the welfare of the supporters of any other British clubs that go to Madrid.

"We involved the consul at an early stage and they have been aware of the relevant issues.

"Those, along with the reported mistreatment of Aberdeen supporters will form the basis of a detailed report that we will be submitting to the governing body over the course of the next few days," the spokesman said.

"We are still in the process of documenting everything that occurred from the time of the draw until the conclusion of the game and in particular the way in which some of our fans were treated outside the stadium.

"The club repeatedly asked for additional tickets well in advance of the fixture and were informed that there were no more available, only for additional seats to be made available earlier this week via Atletico's website and with no prior warning to ourselves.

"Additionally, on the day of the game we were told at the official Uefa meeting that the match was a sell-out, and while there are always a few seats not taken at any game, as everyone could see, there were thousands of empty places in all areas of the stadium other than the ones allocated to visiting fans."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/displ...1873787.0.0.php

They are f*cken animals. Disgusting that a lassie has been raped. However the Aberdeen fans were no angels. We got beaten up over in Osasuna yet the Aberdeen fans are innocent. This really pisses me off!

They are f*cken animals. Disgusting that a lassie has been raped. However the Aberdeen fans were no angels. We got beaten up over in Osasuna yet the Aberdeen fans are innocent. This really pisses me off!

Well the article does say 'the notorious "Casuals" of Aberdeen and "Ultras" from Atletico Madrid, groups of hooligans purporting to be fans, were instrumental' in the trouble.

That's absolutely disgusting that a young woman got raped there. F&%king scum! The police in Spain have done this time and time again. If you think this is bad though wait til the World Cup goes to Jo'burg, I don't know what FIFA were thinking.

That's absolutely disgusting that a young woman got raped there. F&%king scum! The police in Spain have done this time and time again. If you think this is bad though wait til the World Cup goes to Jo'burg, I don't know what FIFA were thinking.

Aye, Brazil in 2014 aswell!!!!

What pisses me off the most, is that these bastards see it as open season whenever a British team go over there.

Where were the Spanish casualties? If there were Casuals and Ultras, then surely their filth must have engaged both sets of these hooligans?

No i guess not, they probably focussed on the innocent supporters who they knew would just cover up and run, rather than those who might retaliate.

Cowards.

its about time something was done about the behaviour of the spanish police...at first I slagged of the Dons but after reading what happened and also to that poor girl I changed my mind complelty. She will be scarred for life i hope they find the bs that did this to her

I agree, the Spanish police are animals and the fans are not much better. Fifa should really be considering banning the teams whose fans who have been involved in causing the trouble in these games from Europe for at least the a year - maybe then the animals might just behave themselves.

Absolutel filthy scum to do that to a lass! Amazing also how British supporters always seem to get panelled by these fascist bassas with their nightsticks, yet we never hear anything about the Spanish supporters getting that kind of treatment. Agreed with what others have said, we should boycott playing over there.