Barton could go to prison for assaulting teammate

Mad Dog

Newcastle's Joey Barton insists he does not fear going to prison if he is found guilty of assaulting former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

The 25-year-old has pleaded not guilty to a charge of actual bodily harm and now faces a trial, which is expected to start in June 2008.

"If you go to prison for defending yourself then, yes, I suppose I'll think about it," he told the BBC.

"But I don't care. It doesn't scare me at all. I've done nothing wrong."

Inside Sport: Joey Barton

The alleged assault took place at City's training ground on 1 May.

If found guilty, the England midfielder could face a sentence of up to five years in jail but he said: "I can go home and sleep at night and know I've done what I thought was right.

Nobody cares whether I'm innocent or guilty - nobody cares

Joey Barton

"I don't think I'm a bad person. If the incidents I've been involved in had been to anyone other than a Premier League footballer, I don't think they'd even be mentioned.

"It was something that I've seen five, six, seven times since I've been a professional footballer."

Barton says his reputation has left him short of support among fans.

"Nobody cares whether I'm innocent or guilty - nobody cares. I'm already guilty before I've been sat in front of a judge - that's the disappointing thing," he said.

606: DEBATE

What do you think of Barton's comments?

"It's my reputation. It's my fault I've got that reputation, but you shouldn't be slaughtered for trying to make yourself a better person. One day I will get to speak about the full facts."

Barton was suspended by City and subsequently sold to Newcastle United in a £5.8m deal in June.

He returned to action for the Magpies in November following a metatarsal injury that had kept him out since the summer.

Arrogant wee prick i hope he gets the sh*t kicked out of him everyday if he goes down