Missing Novo ?

ScotBear

I think we are. His urgency rubs off on those around him in my view, and I think we missed that against Lyon, particularly first half.

And in the second half, I think we missed his direct attacking play. At times we worked the ball well enough down the right hand side........only for us to pass it back and forward to each other, missing an opportunity......or for example, Whittaker going on the outside and hitting two woeful crosses in.

If Novo had picked up the ball wide right in the final third, you know he'll try and charge into the box, and I think it unsettles the opposition. Lyon were too comfortable, and we didn't have anyone that managed to ruffle a few feathers in their backline.

I know he's not the most sophisticated of players, his decision making when in possession can certainly be very questionable.......but he's also tends to be very effective, gives the team and crowd a lift and has had a much more positive impact on the club during his time here than the vasy majority of players that have come and gone in receent years. We don't have any genuine quality in the final third, so the next best thing would have been his fearless, direct nature in attack.

Sometimes you don't know what you've got til it's gone...........and I certainly felt that with regards to Novo on Wednesday.

I don't think we would be missing him if Beasley was fit.

We do miss someone with a bit of pace on the wings, be that Novo or Beasley.

Before the game that was my thought. If only one of them was fit. Afterwards though, Novo was firmly in my mind.

Beasley is the more intelligent player, but he's not instinctive enough at times for me. Turns back a lot, passes back frequently........at times that's good play, but at other times I'm thinking "you're in the final third, you're a winger......have a go man !! If you lose it, fair enough."

I just think on Wednesday we had good possession, worked it into the final third, but had no penetration. That penetration was never going to come from a great pass, we simply lacked the quality. So for me, someone like Novo would have been ideal. Because when he gets the ball, he's only got one thought in his mind, and that's to run the ball into the box.

I don't think we would be missing him if Beasley was fit.

We do miss someone with a bit of pace on the wings, be that Novo or Beasley.

Before the game that was my thought. If only one of them was fit. Afterwards though, Novo was firmly in my mind.

Beasley is the more intelligent player, but he's not instinctive enough at times for me. Turns back a lot, passes back frequently........at times that's good play, but at other times I'm thinking "you're in the final third, you're a winger......have a go man !! If you lose it, fair enough."

I just think on Wednesday we had good possession, worked it into the final third, but had no penetration. That penetration was never going to come from a great pass, we simply lacked the quality. So for me, someone like Novo would have been ideal. Because when he gets the ball, he's only got one thought in his mind, and that's to run the ball into the box.

Yeah, I pretty much agree mate.

I do prefer Novo to Beasley, I must admit.

Lack of pace continues to plague Gers side. Frankly, I felt both Nacho Novo and DaMarcus Beasley were missed at midweek. Novo's directness and Beasley's passing and ability to stretch possession would have been by far preferable to the McCulloch and Whittaker show.

Novo's finishing and DMB's set pieces were desperately missed as well. Hemdani's fk attempts were shockingly bad (and I rate the man highly; Ferguson's corners were also poor).