Do we need to strengthen our team in January?

chewbacca

I see people saying they want a commanding, box to box, goalscoring midfielder, but basically unless you have about 40 million for Steven Gerrard then you are very unlikely to find a player of that ilk.

Rangers should make a bid for Michael Bradley, the best box to box midfielder in the Eredivisie at the moment. He's 20 years old, and has 10 goals in all competitions for SC Heerenveen already this season. Don't let that fool you, either, the kids hero is Gattuso and he is a tough a tackler Bradley even looks Scottish. Beasley could put in a good word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(soccer)

We should be looking for young players, who have bags of potentiel and are looking for a stepping stone to get to a higher level.

They get their dream and we get the money.

Players like

Pjanic from Metz

Lulinha from Corinthians

Lenny from Fluminense

Prudnikov from Spartak moscow

Ninis from Panathiniakos

Henri Saviet from Bordeaux

Pablo Piatti from Estudiantes

Work permits might be a problem with the south american guys, But the others would be able to come to Rangers.

Width - we are crying out for width right now, it is without a doubt the one factor that stops us playing. Without a threat from the wide area, defences are cheating inwards and clogging up the middle, thus Fergie finds it difficult to have an impact.

We need players on both flanks. Now, if burke found his form of 2 years ago and we had beasley back, then we would be sorted. But Walter has no faith in burke and beasley is gone for the year. So right now, Id concentrate on wide right midfield and wide left.

Width - we are crying out for width right now, it is without a doubt the one factor that stops us playing. Without a threat from the wide area, defences are cheating inwards and clogging up the middle, thus Fergie finds it difficult to have an impact.

We need players on both flanks. Now, if burke found his form of 2 years ago and we had beasley back, then we would be sorted. But Walter has no faith in burke and beasley is gone for the year. So right now, Id concentrate on wide right midfield and wide left.

Pretty much agree with that.

Maybe a good bet to bring in quality is swap plus cash.

If Boro want Cousin then swap him for Downing.

If Bolton want him then swap for Kevin Davies.

Hemdani to reading then a swap plus cash for Doyle up front.

Buffel to Anderlecht then i saw a few good players there when they played Spurs

Hutton to Man U....realistically then maybe Fletcher and cash coming the other way or maybe Saha as he'll be out the picture when Man U sign another striker..

Hutton to Arsenal/.... swap for denilson

I doubt we'll buy quality as usually not for sale in january but maybe swap and cash if need be when selling.

I love the player for player's scenerio,that's the way it works in all professional sports in north America. (tu)

Centre back as back up to, and hopefully to give serious competiton to, Weir and Cuellar.

Left back. I don't think we can rely on Smith returning to full fitness and form anytime soon.

Another midfield player. Left or right. Someone mobile who is a good ball player. Not McCulloch or Adam basically !!

Striker. Don't have a set type in mind, because ideally we could probably do with another couple. Just someone with a bit of quality, who is capable of linking up with those around them, and scoring 20 a season.

Boyd? :rolleyes:

"a bit of quality, who is capable of linking up with those around them......"

That's where he falls short for me. And he's not even had his shooting boots on this season, which leads to him being truly worthless on the pitch.

If we get an offer of £3m+ for him, it would be ridiculous in my view not to accept. If we receive that kind of money in January, like it or not, he's gone. That's my prediction anyway !

I think Boyd links up quite well.

"And he's not even had his shooting boots on this season"

We, the fans, know that Boyd does not fit into the 4-5-1. He hasn't had the opportunities this season, but when he has hes taken them.

doh

Boro want Cousin then swap him for Downing.

Yeah I can see them swapping a £10million+ England internationalist for a 30 year old, lazy, money grabbing, uninterested Gabonese player who no-one really wants.

Centre back as back up to, and hopefully to give serious competiton to, Weir and Cuellar.

Left back. I don't think we can rely on Smith returning to full fitness and form anytime soon.

Another midfield player. Left or right. Someone mobile who is a good ball player. Not McCulloch or Adam basically !!

Striker. Don't have a set type in mind, because ideally we could probably do with another couple. Just someone with a bit of quality, who is capable of linking up with those around them, and scoring 20 a season.

Boyd? :rolleyes:

"a bit of quality, who is capable of linking up with those around them......"

That's where he falls short for me. And he's not even had his shooting boots on this season, which leads to him being truly worthless on the pitch.

If we get an offer of £3m+ for him, it would be ridiculous in my view not to accept. If we receive that kind of money in January, like it or not, he's gone. That's my prediction anyway !

I think Boyd links up quite well.

"And he's not even had his shooting boots on this season"

We, the fans, know that Boyd does not fit into the 4-5-1. He hasn't had the opportunities this season, but when he has hes taken them.

doh

:rangers: You know I'm right.

We should have signed Uğur Yıldırım in the Summer.

He was hot property a few years ago, I remember Holland and Turkey fighting over who he would play fro internationally, but he seemed to fall off the radar a bit and ended up moving to some relegation battling team in the Turkish league, probably because he wan't flavour of the week anymore.

He's pretty pacey and he certainly used to play in the right wing forward position. He is also a dead ball expert and actually won a free kick tournament a few years ago, I'm sure he beat Zidane in the final!

We need ed and still need somebody with both of those qualities IMO :pipe:

IMO, we need:

1. Another centre-half

2. A creative midfield player (central and/or wide)

3. A left back

1 and 3 may hinge on Webster/Smith proving their long term fitness early next month.

Add two strikers because I think Cousin will be off and JAD -a great signing- is not a long term bet. Boyd could be off as well.

More cover in RM is needed because with Beasley injured I don't think any of the other options can really cut it. Possibly Whittaker or Novo but that's stretching it. And Novo could be off too.

Webster is finished IMO and, whilst the news on Steven Smith is more positive it, I reckon it will be the last quarter of the season before he is fit enough to feature in the first team.