Do we need to strengthen our team in January?

chewbacca

What areas do we want to improve? I would like to see a playmaker/goal scorer in midfield along with Barry. Other than that I think we have a squad to win the league, possibly adding a cup or two, if lucky maybe even going further in Europe.

Defence is shaky at times but I do think thats just a case of the central pair not consentrating at times! Will be glad when Webster returns to give other option. Happy with Hutton, surprisingly mildly pleased with Papac but looking forward to seeing S.Smith back, although when Hutton was out for a long time it took him time to get his form back!

Left mid we have a choice of McCulloch or Adam. Can be improved but I do like McCulloch and when Adam plays he is one of the few players we have to take a shot from outside the box, which seems to be lacking in our team! Reckon we're fine with these two for now although might be nice to see Gow given a chance there?

Down the right we have Naismith, Burke (if he decides to play again), Novo and dear I say Whittaker. Fine there till end of season.

I'm happy with our choices up front. A few different types of players who might work well if playing together in a 4-4-2

I would like to see more youth coming through and given a chance. Haven't yet seen Furman play, what type of midfielder is he? What other players do you think deserve a proper opportunity? I don't get to watch reserve matches so unsure.

For me all I feel we really need is a creative goal scoring midfielder.

For me Whittaker, McCulloch and Adam are just not good enough in midfield. We need a quality attacking midfielder and a good winger.

I think JCD is great on the wing and play Naismith and Boyd thru the middle. Naismith can interchange with JCD too.

Burke/Novo, Ferguson, Hemdani, JCD/Gow

Boyd and Naismith

IMO, we need:

1. Another centre-half

2. A creative midfield player (central and/or wide)

3. A left back

1 and 3 may hinge on Webster/Smith proving their long term fitness early next month.

have to agree with this although i hope we get rid of webster asap and get a new centre back in. How much have we paid in wages for him to sit on the treatment table. Didnt rate him at hearts and hes proven to be injury prone here so i think we would be much better off getting rid of him. Number 2 is the priority, we desperatly need that creative attacking midfielder.

I like Webster as a player but I agree, I think his injury proneness is too much of a risk to base our defence around.

I'd rather we tried to find someone of the ilk of Cuellar. He's proven a decent buy for around £2million and I think he'd get even better with the right player(s) alongside him.

Centre back as back up to, and hopefully to give serious competiton to, Weir and Cuellar.

Left back. I don't think we can rely on Smith returning to full fitness and form anytime soon.

Another midfield player. Left or right. Someone mobile who is a good ball player. Not McCulloch or Adam basically !!

Striker. Don't have a set type in mind, because ideally we could probably do with another couple. Just someone with a bit of quality, who is capable of linking up with those around them, and scoring 20 a season.

If we do strengthen, It will no doubt be more useless dross form the SPL, as we can't attract quality here any more it seems. This ambition of Walter and Ally to have 11 Scots in the team is killing us, we aren't good enough technically.

In my opinion there are three players in our team that are the problem.

1. Ferguson - great player / experience but undecided what he is, Attacking?or holding?, 2. M'culloch - great in the air, works hard, can hold the ball up, 3. Adam - great shooting/set plays, bit of trickery, scores goals.

Im not being critical of the players but they all just lack something and i feel its hard justifying a place in the side for them at times. If you play either M'culloch or Adam on the left then we lack pace and the ability to beat men on that flank, if you play Barry as a holding player then he is too similar to his partner and if you play him in an attacking role he lacks pace and creativity/killer passes.

Most of the other players in the team can be easily defined and play specific roles, i just feel that the shape and impetus of the team is affected when we try to incorporate these players.

I see people saying they want a commanding, box to box, goalscoring midfielder, but basically unless you have about 40 million for Steven Gerrard then you are very unlikely to find a player of that ilk.

Personally I think January is a terrible time to be making significant changes to your team for a number of different reasons that I wont go into.

Considering our current position in the league and our run in Europe I would say that so far the players we have have held us in good stead and the only changes I would make would (should he depart) be to replace Cousin with a player who has pace, mainly plays on the shoulder of defenders and does his best work in the channels.

I think Walter sees that and thats why he seems to be pondering a move for Miller.

The other only change we really need at this point of the season is to sign a midfielder who's man strength is dribbling and running at the heart of opposition defences. They really don't need to need to be a box-to-box all action player as we have a very good defence minded player in Thomson. Lets just get somebody who plays his best stuff over the halfway line as it can make such a difference in the dynamics of not only the team, but it can also raise the fans too and rattle defences to the point where they start leaving gaps.

We maybe need an old fashioned winger, but we don't need to sign one at this exact moment in time. Novo will be back in a fortnight(ish) and with Naisy, Darche' and Whittaker also in the squad and Gow and Burke waiting in the wings I think we are well equipped to get to the end of the season with what we have.

Agreed - Thomson can actually be the dynamic box-to-box player favored by some - unfortunately without the goal-scoring virtue.

It's an offensive player with a creative edge (and some pace) that we need. However, they cost money and unless our scouts have someone interesting in mind, I think we may struggle to fill that much-needed role as soon as we'd all like.

It will not be easy. Furman, Buffel and Gow should be tried, but WS will not give them a chance.

I think Buffel and Hemdani will leave in January and Eck may bid for Boyd, Cuellar or Hutton. These are the players I would go for if I was Eck and had money to burn.

The priorities must surely be left back and a winger. We are badly missing Beasley. There are other areas which need strengthening which other people have mentioned (centre back, creative midfielder, etc.) but I think we can survive without them for now. I'd be happy if we got a left back and a winger, and preferrably one that is good at set-pieces.

There's no way we will sell Hutton, Cuellar or any of our other key players IMO. At least not in January. We are in a fantastic position at the moment, I can't imagine any offer would tempt us to sell unless it was really utterly ridiculous (like £10m+). The only ones I can see possibly leaving are Hemdani and Cousin.

left back (smith is near a return, but still)

Centre Back (extra pressure on weir and cueller to perform)

creative midfielder (if smith carries on refusing to play buffel)

another forward to cover cousin (as he is not fit to wear the jersey afta his last few games)

Maybe a good bet to bring in quality is swap plus cash.

If Boro want Cousin then swap him for Downing.

If Bolton want him then swap for Kevin Davies.

Hemdani to reading then a swap plus cash for Doyle up front.

Buffel to Anderlecht then i saw a few good players there when they played Spurs

Hutton to Man U....realistically then maybe Fletcher and cash coming the other way or maybe Saha as he'll be out the picture when Man U sign another striker..

Hutton to Arsenal/.... swap for denilson

I doubt we'll buy quality as usually not for sale in january but maybe swap and cash if need be when selling.

Maybe a good bet to bring in quality is swap plus cash.

If Boro want Cousin then swap him for Downing.

If Bolton want him then swap for Kevin Davies.

Hemdani to reading then a swap plus cash for Doyle up front.

Buffel to Anderlecht then i saw a few good players there when they played Spurs

Hutton to Man U....realistically then maybe Fletcher and cash coming the other way or maybe Saha as he'll be out the picture when Man U sign another striker..

Hutton to Arsenal/.... swap for denilson

I doubt we'll buy quality as usually not for sale in january but maybe swap and cash if need be when selling.

all the mentioned players are key in the oppositions side, they won't be willing to let them go.

We'll probably buy either players for small clubs, or players from teams that are stuggling financially.

Centre back as back up to, and hopefully to give serious competiton to, Weir and Cuellar.

Left back. I don't think we can rely on Smith returning to full fitness and form anytime soon.

Another midfield player. Left or right. Someone mobile who is a good ball player. Not McCulloch or Adam basically !!

Striker. Don't have a set type in mind, because ideally we could probably do with another couple. Just someone with a bit of quality, who is capable of linking up with those around them, and scoring 20 a season.

Boyd? :rolleyes:

Depending on the immediate future of Webster and Smith, we may need a center half and left back.

I think we're crying out for a no-nonsense winger to swing in a decent ball.

I also think we need another striker to partner JCD, with Cousin and maybe Boyd leaving.

"a bit of quality, who is capable of linking up with those around them......"

That's where he falls short for me. And he's not even had his shooting boots on this season, which leads to him being truly worthless on the pitch.

If we get an offer of £3m+ for him, it would be ridiculous in my view not to accept. If we receive that kind of money in January, like it or not, he's gone. That's my prediction anyway !

"a bit of quality, who is capable of linking up with those around them......"

That's where he falls short for me. And he's not even had his shooting boots on this season, which leads to him being truly worthless on the pitch.

If we get an offer of £3m+ for him, it would be ridiculous in my view not to accept. If we receive that kind of money in January, like it or not, he's gone. That's my prediction anyway !

I think Boyd links up quite well.

"And he's not even had his shooting boots on this season"

We, the fans, know that Boyd does not fit into the 4-5-1. He hasn't had the opportunities this season, but when he has hes taken them.