Walter on this stage of the season, the Old Firm and transfers

Boab

Droll as ever, Smith was also trying to persuade journalists that the Ne'erday Old Firm match which he loves – "we were brought up with it, weren't we?" – is not as significant as reaching the halfway stage of the season with his team in the ascendancy.

"The fact that we are reaching the halfway stage of the championship is more relevant than the actual Old Firm game," said Smith. "That is the time to take a look at where you are in the championship and how you are doing. It's a little bit early as we have a few more difficult games to play before we reach that stage."

But in one sense, Smith already feels that Rangers are in better condition than at the same stage last season.

"I sense within our group that there is a better confidence in terms of being able to mount a challenge," said Smith, "and that's what we must show we are able to do. For myself and the team we have to all work together to make sure we show enough consistency to do that."

In a wide-ranging interview, Smith said that the other SPL sides are not getting the credit for the fact that neither half of the Old Firm has been as supremely dominant as they have been in recent years. The manager also pledged that Rangers would not splurge in the transfer window which opens on Tuesday just to "pad out" the squad, but would spend if "one or two were to become available that I thought would improve us".

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Darchev...rive.3628265.jp

I agree with WS - as much as I love OF games (and winning them) - it is where we end up in the league that actually judges us. Last two years OF games meant nothing to league position - only bragging / lack of rights. This season however they could be crucial and we are 1 up in those stakes.