One Step At A Time

JOHN FLECK relished every minute of his first-team debut for Rangers - then looked forward to a Scottish Youth Cup tie at Whitehill Welfare.

The 16-year-old became the youngest player to turn out for the club since Derek Ferguson in 1983 when he played in Wednesday's 6-0 win over East Stirling.

As a substitute for Brahim Hemdani, he took part in the last 22 minutes of an emphatic victory against Gordon Wylde's Third Division outfit.

Ibrox backroom staff have high hopes for the teenager, a nephew of former Light Blues striker Robert Fleck, after some stunning performances in the Gers youth sides.

And with Walter Smith obliged to list three under-21 outfield players in his SPL squads, Fleck has a good chance of appearing on the bench again this season.

In the meantime, his main focus is on helping Rangers through their fourth round Youth Cup meeting with Welfare at Ferguson Park in Rosewell this Sunday afternoon.

Billy Kirkwood's side won the competition last season, beating Celtic 5-0 in the final at Hampden, and are eager to retain it.

Although Fleck wants more top-team action, he insists he has put his outing against Shire to the back of his mind to concentrate on the East of Scotland League minnows.

He said: "We've got a Youth Cup tie with Whitehill Welfare this weekend, although there is a chance it will be called off because of the weather.

"But it is a big game for me. We won the trophy last season and we want to do that again as well as keep hold of the league title.

"The under-19 side is my own team and is the one I play in most so that is where my priorities lie.

"Getting into the main squad is just a bonus and if I can keep doing well at youth level, hopefully I can get on the bench for the first team as much as possible.

"I'm not expecting to play at that level again this season but hopefully I can keep doing well enough to get a place among the substitutes."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1223993,00.html

He seems to have a good footballing brain by all accounts and a stocky physique. looked good last night and the run out will have done his confidence no harm. Furman should have been out there too.

He'll have to be careful with that stocky physique though as if he doesn't look after himself carefully he'll get fat very quickly.

As long as he is young he'll be classed as stocky, but when he gets older people will just say he is fat ala Gazza, Reid, Adam even Rooney who have all had criticisim if their weight at one point or another.

I hope we see him again this season. We have to be careful with him but I reckon he could do the buisness when asked. He should defenatley be on the bench a lot more. If your good enough, your old enough. Just look at the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Armand Traore, Theo Walcott, Sergio Aguero, Giovani dos santos, Bojan, Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs....etc

He seems to have a good footballing brain by all accounts and a stocky physique. looked good last night and the run out will have done his confidence no harm. Furman should have been out there too.

He'll have to be careful with that stocky physique though as if he doesn't look after himself carefully he'll get fat very quickly.

As long as he is young he'll be classed as stocky, but when he gets older people will just say he is fat ala Gazza, Reid, Adam even Rooney who have all had criticisim if their weight at one point or another.

Was speaking to somebody last week about Fleck. He works in the youth development for an SPL club and said, on his physique, in comparison to last year that he's lost a great deal of weight and is looking great.