Summer 08

BlueSuedeSambas

Ally McCoist has publically stated that he would love to see Rangers win the SPL with a whole Scottish team and baring in mind that we now have 17 Scottish players in our first team squad can we expect to see more Scots added to the pool in the Summer as WS and Ally chase that dream?

There are plenty more Scottish players who could potentially come in: Miller, Fletcher, Anderson and Naysmith for example, but questions still remain about wheter they actually have the quality needed to take us onto the next level.

Personally I hope that WS will assess the situation and consider himself content with the strong core of Scottish players that he already has and in the summer he will hopefully try and complament them with more foreign talent.

I thought we may have went for Barry Robson but I guess not, the best that there is left I would say Fletcher from Hibs and Man Utd. Anderson and Berra

I've been saying it for months now and I sand by it when I say that I think he will be a real shout to come in and replace Weir at the back. Especially if you consider WS's line of thinking since he came back.

He's what some would call the right age, he is a known organsier and leader with sheds and sheds of SPL experience and considering his lack of games at Sunderland and the price they paid fro him I think that financially he would be within our probable budget too.

I think well add one Scot at most over the summer, I think weve built a good Scottish base and this summer a little continental flair wouldnt go amiss. Berra at Hearts would be a welcome addition, good replacement for Weir depending on Websters fitness/performances over the next few months (although hell probably be added permanently anyway) but I think Hearts would ask too much.

Fletcher at Hibs would improve the squad and would be a good replacement for Cousin IMO, again Hibs may ask too much though. Outside those 2 theres not many players that jump out in the SPL (and any that are decent would just end up doing a Gow) and Scots players from elsewhere that would be available in the summer such as K. Miller, Riordan or Naysmith I dont think would be a huge improvement over what we have nor would be particularly welcomed.

Cant see Fletcher moving north I think he moved from Man Utd hed stay in England and I doubt hed move at the moment hes on a decent wage, has a good shot at medals each season and although hes not a regular starter notches up a decent amount of games and will always get picked for Scotland at Man Utd.

Im of the same opinion as most of the above, i think the guy Berra would be a really good signing as would Fletcher from Hibs, but i dont think there is any other Scot who is better than who we have in the positions. So that leaves us to look abroad, but the question is.........What sort of money is WS and co gonna get??? its not like we have bundles of cash to spend as it is and players aint gettin any cheaper. Unless we can do( and it pains me to say this) what the lot across the city are doin, an that is being consistent in Chmps League and bringing in the big money, we better hope that Murray Park starts to churn out the talent in the next few years or we could find ourselves struggling, either that or Mr Murray has to find fresh investment or sell up!

Im of the same opinion as most of the above, i think the guy Berra would be a really good signing as would Fletcher from Hibs, but i dont think there is any other Scot who is better than who we have in the positions. So that leaves us to look abroad, but the question is.........What sort of money is WS and co gonna get??? its not like we have bundles of cash to spend as it is and players aint gettin any cheaper. Unless we can do( and it pains me to say this) what the lot across the city are doin, an that is being consistent in Chmps League and bringing in the big money, we better hope that Murray Park starts to churn out the talent in the next few years or we could find ourselves struggling, either that or Mr Murray has to find fresh investment or sell up!

I'd say the money has to be there this summer at least, £3m from Cousin sale, £8-9m from Hutton (not sure exactly how much we got up front), £2-3m regular season budget at least and if we win the league guarenteed CL football should be worth £2-3m as well leaves a possible budget of £18m, although I doubt well get that but even looking on the miserly side your talking £10m available and any other cash that comes in.

I'd say the money has to be there this summer at least, £3m from Cousin sale, £8-9m from Hutton (not sure exactly how much we got up front), £2-3m regular season budget at least and if we win the league guarenteed CL football should be worth £2-3m as well leaves a possible budget of £18m, although I doubt well get that but even looking on the miserly side your talking £10m available and any other cash that comes in.

Even if we are on a budget of 7-8 million there is nothing to stop us picking upa lot of good players providing we use the appropriate scouting before hand.

For example we will need a CB to replace Weir and it's more than likely that the chances are that WS is going to want an experienced campaigner with leadership skills. I'm not suggesting his name (although he could easily do a job in the SPL), but purely as an example we could probably get somebody like Rigobert Song who has well over 120 caps for Cameron and has experience of nearly every major European league having played in: England, Italy, France, Germany & now Turkey for a relatively small sum of money.

Unfortuanetly we don't have any proper degree of scouting network and as a result we will struggle to unearth any players who we don't already know.

It's important to have a Scottish/British core to the side, and we have that now. Time to add a bit of quality, and I don't think any Scottish player can bring that.

Scott Brown is unhappy at Celtic - there would be an interesting transfer - £4M for brown straigt from Celtic - mmm !!?? I wonder !!

I wouldn't take him if he paid us £4m :)

Guest Andypendek

i read on sunday morning that jim jeffries compares his player, hammill, to bobby russell. i think he played out of position at LB against us but i didn't see it. was he any good? if he can play like bobby russell he'd do me.

i read on sunday morning that jim jeffries compares his player, hammill, to bobby russell. i think he played out of position at LB against us but i didn't see it. was he any good? if he can play like bobby russell he'd do me.

I'd compare Hammill more to Anton Rogan mate.... ;)

Guest Andypendek

that is so weird...i was just thinking about a game v them years ago when anton stuck his hand up and gave us a(nother) penalty. down in colliers that afternoon, every table was waving their hand about singing 'lets all do the anton, lets all do the anton, na na na nah'...i haven't thought about that for years and now you mention the ugly wee get...freaky!

First thing I shouted when the fella punched the ball - couldn't stop laughing!

As for the original post, I don't mind signing more Scottish players as long as they have the quality to take us to the next level. As it stands I don't think any of the remaining squad do. There are a few younger guys that interest me - Reynolds, Fletcher, Stevenson, Barr and Arfield to name a few - but I doubt any of them are worth signing immediately.

Ergo, I think we'll need to look further afield to find the players we need.

I'd have Berra in a minute, he's far too good for Hearts.

Apart from that, there's no denying that apart from a select few (such as Gerrard, Rooney, young Fleck from what we hear etc), British players instincts aren't complimentary to that of a decent game of football to watch.

Don't really want any more Scots tbh. The squad has enough mediocre players. We need that bit extra that a quality foreigner would bring.

I'd take Berra but there is not another Scot that I think is good enough for Rangers.

Don't really want any more Scots tbh. The squad has enough mediocre players. We need that bit extra that a quality foreigner would bring.

I'd take Berra but there is not another Scot that I think is good enough for Rangers.

We signed KT recently, and is shaping into a Rangers great.

There are a few players worth mulling over, Fletcher from Hibs and Driver of Hearts to name but a couple

Couldn't disagree more about Berra, I really don't know what anyone sees in him

Andrew Driver is English. Hibs would want at least £3million for Fletcher, never worth anything near that.

I like the lad Arfield, but is he any better than Alan Gow?