Rangers V German teams

I was just wondering, we have played a lot of German sides in our history and just about all of them have been tight games settled by the odd goal (barring the 8-0 win over Munchengladbach). But in most of them we seem to get favourable results. In fact I think we have a good record against them. The other night against Bremen was a prime example. A team going great in their own league, and tipped as one of the favourites for the uefa cup, were overcome with considerable ease!

Going back I can think of the games against Stuttgart (both wins), and Bayern at Ibrox (1-1), and also the tie against Dortmund which we lost on pens, as games where we held our own against the best teams in the bundesliga.

I think we must have a better record against teams from the Bundesliga than teams from any other league. Obviously I'm not certain but what does anyone else think?

:rangers:

weve only lost twice EVER against german oppostion in 23 matches. Frankfurt and Bayern . n that wis like in 1960 and 89 . so not a bad record at all.. dno why. Scottish Style v German Style . who knows. we are just all machines.WooP :rangers:

We've had a good few hidings from German sides. 5-0 at Cologne & 3-0 at Kaiserslautern spring to mind.

I dont want to depress myself by remembering any more.

Did we not beat both of those teams in the return leg at Ibrox though?

weve only lost twice EVER against german oppostion in 23 matches. Frankfurt and Bayern . n that wis like in 1960 and 89 . so not a bad record at all.. dno why. Scottish Style v German Style . who knows. we are just all machines.WooP :rangers:

I know mate, our style seems to do well against theirs.

We've had a good few hidings from German sides. 5-0 at Cologne & 3-0 at Kaiserslautern spring to mind.

Both teams put us out on our arses.

Bayern Munich have turned us over a couple of times (incl. 1967 CWC Final) .

We lost to both Munich and Dortmund in 1999. And Kaiserslautern the year after. So that stat is definitely incorrect!

I didnt say we had a flawless record against German teams, just a good one :harhar:

And we have turned Bayern Munich over before I believe.

I didnt say we had a flawless record against German teams, just a good one :harhar:

And we have turned Bayern Munich over before I believe.

2-0 in 1972.

As the song says...

What a night :rangers: :bouncy:

I don't know what our record is against clubs from the various different countries but I think we probably do better against German teams that say Spanish ones because we both play a similar physical game. Indeed this similarity in approach may also have something to do with Vogts getting the national team job ahead of guys like Troussier

I know it's all about good results in Europe but I think one of our best ever performances was when we lost 1-0 at Bayern, the night Mols got injured. Talk about unlucky.

I think it's because their style is not too different from a british style, we look more comfortable against German teams than mediterranean teams like greeks etc.

This is spot on. We struggle against teams who hold onto the ball rather than move back to front quickly. Latin-style teams generally hump us, with our best results seeming to come against the Germans, Dutch, eastern Europeans. Unfortunately, the number of latin Americans moving to eastern Europe may soon put a stop to part of that. :(

I know it's all about good results in Europe but I think one of our best ever performances was when we lost 1-0 at Bayern, the night Mols got injured. Talk about unlucky.

Even though we lost that game, it was definetly one of the best Rangers european performances of recent years.