Walter Smith Doesn't Scare Me, Says Strachan

Walter Smith Doesn't Scare Me, Says Celtic Manager Gordon Strachan

Mar 23 2008 By Euan Mclean

Gordon Strachan

Gordon Strachan

Walter Has Taken Rangers To The Top Of The League, He's Turned Me Over In Last Three Old Firm Games But .. Old Firm Showdown 6 Days To Go

DEFIANT Gordon Strachan has roared an Old Firm battle cry and vowed he doesn't fear Walter Smith because he has already beaten the best managers in Europe.

The Celtic boss brushed aside talk of Smith having a hoodoo over him as he gears up for next weekend's Ibrox showdown seeking his first derby win since Smith returned to Ibrox in January 2007.

Strachan's record stands at three games, three defeats, six goals conceded and none scored but he quickly shot down the notion of Smith holding the Indian sign over him.

He said: "I've beaten Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Carlo Ancelotti but it doesn't make me any better or worse than Walter.

"It means his team has been more consistent than mine but I don't feel down about it. Walter's record is exceptional in Old Firm games."

Strachan will throw himself into preparations for Saturday's massive SPL clash straight after today's game against Gretna and admits he'll warn his players to keep their discipline after their previous Ibrox visit in October.

Nine Hoops stars were booked in that 3-0 defeat and the Parkhead boss reckons some of them got caught up in the atmosphere because it was their first taste of the Old Firm derby.

Strachan said: "One or two were taken by surprise and we will take steps this week to ensure that doesn't happen again.

"For a start I would like to keep that experience fresh in the players' memories. You need to have the lot in that game - be mentally and physically strong and able to play as well."

With the New Year Old Firm fixture that was postponed following the tragic death of Phil O'Donnell now confirmed for April 16, Celtic will have played two away games against their arch rivals before meeting them at Parkhead.

Strachan said: "I don't think that has ever happened before. Obviously it's down to circumstances beyond our control so I wouldn't make a big thing about it."

With next weekend's showdown a potential turning point in the tightest title race in three seasons both bosses are praying their key men return from midweek international duty unscathed.

Five Hoops players will join George Burley's first Scotland squad for the friendly against Croatia on Wednesday while Georgios Samaras and Scott McDonald will also be away with Greece and Australia.

Strachan considered asking Burley to leave all of his players out to keep them fresh for Ibrox - but decided they are fit enough to cope.

He said: "Yes it entered my head to say 'Please don't pick the lot of them, give them a rest'. But that would be unfair on George - he has a job to do.

"I also look at my players and think 'You are fit, you have plenty of energy so get on with it'. You are always thinking about giving guys a rest before big games but I believe George is clever enough to understand he has a lot of players and will use them sparingly with our match in mind."

The fixture pile-up wreaking havoc in the SPL has been a major talking point this week but Strachan has no fears his players are nearing burn-out.

He said: "I think I had one season at Aberdeen when Willie Miller and Alex McLeish played 73 games each and that was on your muddy pitches and the rest of it.

"There was no talk about fixture pile-ups in those days.

"As the manager at the time said, 'I'll tell you when you are tired'. I see no signs of fatigue whatsoever in the players.

"I have this computerised system that tells me where they run, how they run and the intensity - and they are still managing the same distances as the first game of the season. Every one of them.

"Once that drops and the intensity dips then I'll say 'Hey, he's a bit tired'. But I don't see any fatigue, physical or mental, in the players."

Strachan is baffled by Celtic's season that sees them six points shy of their tally at this stage last term yet on course to score far more goals than they managed in the full campaign.

He said: "We're six points down on this time last year yet have scored the same amount of goals as we did at the end of last season.

"It's crazy. I think our game has been more exciting than last season but the difference is back then we were dragging out some wins and edging them by a goal, just getting through on experience.

"We are now making more chances but the points are down and that's the only thing you really look at. Our form is a bit similar to Rangers' - they have won 11 on the trot while we've won nine and drawn one in the league.

"They'll be feeling better about themselves because they're top of the league and through to the next round of the UEFA Cup. But that's where mental strength comes into it and we must clear our minds for the game."

What a load of :bullshit:

"i'm not scared of Walter" How do you explain the skid marks on your tracky then GS?

"I have beaten the best managers in Europe" aye you did against Barcelona, actually when did you last win away from porkheid in Europe?!

I detest Strachan more than O'Neill if I'm being perfectly honest.

He is like the itch on your back that you can't reach...

A fucking bastard to deal with but once gone for good, you feel so much better.

Let's just hope we can beat them next week. Aint going to be easy and tbh I don't really listen to what Strachan has to say. He's at it because he's feeling the pressure. But a win at Ibrox and it's game on.

O'Neill was trouble making bigot who did his best to kick off the whole UEFA issue whilst ignoring his own support.

O'Neill was trouble making bigot who did his best to kick off the whole UEFA issue whilst ignoring his own support.

Agreed.

At least you knew what you were getting with O'Neill.

Strachan is just a nobody who thinks he is something special. That's the worst part.