The Likes of George Best, Johan Cruyff etc..

How do players like Cristiano Ronaldo, when getting praised, the commentator will say " Hes the best player in the world, but still in the shadows of George Best "Heard something similar to that last night. I have never seen Best play, just bits and pieces of clips, were they really that good? Seeing Ronaldo play, i can honestly say he is the best player i have ever watched and probabley will in the next 10 years at least anyways. But when he gets praise, its always hes the best football on the planet, But hes no George best.

Laugh if you want, cos never watching George Best play i cant honestly say he is " this " or hes " that " i go on what people tell me. Will their ever be a player that is better than Best or Cruyff or will players always play in the shadows of them?

How do players like Cristiano Ronaldo, when getting praised, the commentator will say " Hes the best player in the world, but still in the shadows of George Best "Heard something similar to that last night. I have never seen Best play, just bits and pieces of clips, were they really that good? Seeing Ronaldo play, i can honestly say he is the best player i have ever watched and probabley will in the next 10 years at least anyways. But when he gets praise, its always hes the best football on the planet, But hes no George best.

Laugh if you want, cos never watching George Best play i cant honestly say he is " this " or hes " that " i go on what people tell me. Will their ever be a player that is better than Best or Cruyff or will players always play in the shadows of them?

It is really difficult to compare players from different generations. I saw Best on tv when he was at his prime which was a relatively short time. I saw him later on in his career quite a few times at games.

In his prime he was a tricky attacking genius who had the knack of scoring. Later on he still had the quick footballing mind but not the change of pace that top players have.

What has to be remembered is that football in the sixties and early seventies was still an essentially attacking positive game with really only italian football concentrating more on the defensive aspect.

Ronaldo, I would say is a more complete player than Best was. Ronaldo tracks back and can run for 90 minutes,Best did not and could not. Ronaldo has far more pace and power and has more to his game in a far more difficult playing situation than Best had to deal with. Best in footballing terms probably had better vision but overall I would say Christiano Ronaldo is the better player, but it really is all about opinions.

You do wonder as well, with advances in sport science and overall fitness, as well as as the fancy boots we've got these days, and the lighter balls, whether people like Best, Cruyff, Baxter etc wouldnt have been even better, couldnt have done even more amazing things, if all that had been available to them too.

Fuck thats a long sentence. sorry.

You do wonder as well, with advances in sport science and overall fitness, as well as as the fancy boots we've got these days, and the lighter balls, whether people like Best, Cruyff, Baxter etc wouldnt have been even better, couldnt have done even more amazing things, if all that had been available to them too.

Fuck thats a long sentence. sorry.

Very valid points, and there is the refereeing difference as well.Players get a lot more protection nowadays, previously it was permissable, and even a sport in itself, for full backs to see high high and how far they could kick wingers (scars still remain).

I think the likes of Baxter especially would relish the modern game and would have been an even better performer.

Best player in my lifetime (born '78) is Diego Maradona without a shadow of a doubt!

Ronaldo (the original and best) may have been able to challenge that if he had continued his progress pre WC '98 - at Barca he was simply scintillating! After all his knee injuries he adapted his game, and his game was based on pace, power and finishing (which for a normal player would have been fantatsic) but before that he literally had everything in his game to eclipse Diego! Speaks volumes that despite being the highest WC goalscorer ever, he only really fufilled about 60% of his promise!

Christiano Ronaldo is excellent, but has a lot to do to reach the pre WC'98 real Ronaldo. Ignore all the blatently biased creaming from the English media, CRonaldo is not as good as Messi in my opinion!

What makes good players into great players is the fact that they can perform on the biggest stages like the Champions League(European Cup depends what generation), European Championships and World Cups thats what the likes of Maradonna, Pele, Cruyff, Best, Zidane and Platini did they often rose to the ocassion of the big stage and thats what you get remebered by is performing to your highest ablity on the highest stage.

That's what the likes of Ronaldo, Messi and Kaka need to do, and if am being honest I think if they can stay away from injuries like what happened to the original Ronaldo I think Ronaldo and Messi have the abilty and time(being so young) they can be the next Maradonna and Pele.

I don't think this about Kaka because I only just realised hes 25 years old which was quite a shock to me I always thought he was about the same age Ronaldo but the thing is for Kaka I think he's in a team with players so are starting age a bit and the A.C. Milan team is going to go through a transitional period were there going need to build a team and were there not going to be the team of the past and if Kaka doesn't move to a team like Real or Barca he's going to be caught up in a bad period were he's not going to performing well.

To be honest, I dont think he is as good as Lionel Messi at this moment in time. The english media are really starting to get on my tits with all the " easily best player in the world" he is no where EASILY the best player. I hope Messi if uninjured plays out his skin at old trafford and it might see there is players and leagues out with the Premiership. Narrow minded rats the lot of them.

Can I add also Messi is almost 3 years younger than Ronaldo.