The Cuéllar Question

Thermopylae

So with the dust settling on the 2 games do you think we got good value for money from Carlos's hand ball, or would it have been better if he had just let the ball go in? Obviously I'm not criticising him because he only had an instant to make up his mind, I just mean on reflection would it have been better if we had lost that goal but had him available for today?

So with the dust settling on the 2 games do you think we got good value for money from Carlos's hand ball, or would it have been better if he had just let the ball go in? Obviously I'm not criticising him because he only had an instant to make up his mind, I just mean on reflection would it have been better if we had lost that goal but had him available for today?

Personally, I thought it was a bad decision at the time, and a bad decision now.

It's still in our hands though, so I expect it to be academic.

It's hard to predict Thermo

But I feel we would be in a better position with him on the park for those extra... 120 minutes or so.

But he gets a rest for today, which may do him good in the longer run...

If Cuellar had been playing today, we probably would not have lost goals 2 and 3. So must have been a bad decision for him to handle the ball. Doesn't really matter though, now done and dusted. We will either have to make sure that we are not so successful in 4 competitions next year or get some better players for the squad.

Moot point, and no blame on Carlos. Split second to decide, and he showed how much the team meant to him in trying to keep it out by any means available. Maybe it did hurt us, but so have other a few players with reckless and stupid challenges.

Well not at all, there will always be a next time and if we can't learn from history where can we learn from :rolleyes:

With hindsight it would be better if he left it. Can't see how we can learn from it as surely those things are a spur of the moment reaction?

Well not at all, there will always be a next time and if we can't learn from history where can we learn from :rolleyes:

With hindsight it would be better if he left it. Can't see how we can learn from it as surely those things are a spur of the moment reaction?

I agree it's a spur of the moment thing but if a player makes a point of thinking about the position beforehand that might just cross his mind at the crucial time.

IMO Carlos is such an important player to us that the right decision was always to have him available for the second game, and so it would have been better to let the goal go in.