Man Utd stand to make 85m from Euro run alone.

CF5LOYAL

According to research taken by the CL's main sponsor, Mastercard, Man UTD will take away in the region of 85m for winning the champions league. This money comes from gate receipts, TV, sponsors, prize money etc.

Add to that the money they get globally, TV rights, EPL prize money, gate receipts throughout the season. They must have made a fecking fortune.

We will never be able to compete with money like that being thrown around. What is our TV rights for the season? about 1.5m

Just shows what a great acheivment us reaching the UEFA cup final was an also some of our great results in the CL (tu):rangers: And yet some idiots still complain about Walter <cr>

According to research taken by the CL's main sponsor, Mastercard, Man UTD will take away in the region of 85m for winning the champions league. This money comes from gate receipts, TV, sponsors, prize money etc.

Add to that the money they get globally, TV rights, EPL prize money, gate receipts throughout the season. They must have made a fecking fortune.

We will never be able to compete with money like that being thrown around. What is our TV rights for the season? about 1.5m

Just shows what a great acheivment us reaching the UEFA cup final was an also some of our great results in the CL (tu):rangers: And yet some idiots still complain about Walter <cr>

Of course we will never ever win the Champions League...but I do believe either of the old firm could get to the last 8 in the future if they get favourable teams in the draws. Both ourselves and celtic have come very close to the last 8 of the Champions League in the past.

Fenerbache and Schalke both made the last 8 this year and these teams are similar to ourselves in terms of European performances over the years.

Money talks and what pisses me off is the EPL is full of diddy clubs who are being handed fistfuls of cash just for being boring mid table obscurities.

Put Rangers in there with that sort of cash and the CL trophy is a definite possibility.

Never? Thats an awfy long time mate. Nothing lasts forever, and that goes for all the silly money too.

True when the EPL loses its novelty where will the money go?

Only problem is it doesn't look like drying up in the near future, the EPL is massive. A global brand and every top player financially wants a piece of it. I can see there being English teams dominating this competition for the next decade.

I can wait.

I too can wait and when the day comes that the money dries up I will have a massive smile on my face. Like BoltonLoyal says there is so many diddy teams that manage to get their hands in this despite them having no history, they don't even sell out their stadiums in the EPL etc. Yet we have 50,000 aginst teams like Flakirk and St Mirren. That really annoys me.

It's all just part and parcel of that lovely capitalist system we have.

Football has been ruined gradually over the years. Never again will a Leeds, Blackburn or Forest win the Premiership, unless they get an Abramovic in charge. Even when Blackburn won it, it was due to Jack Walker's cash. The same could be said of Scotland, France, Italy, Spain, etc, etc ad infinitum.

I always thought Beckham was one the most overrated players of all time, and he's on $1m a week in the MLS.

I see no reason why any footballer, or any other individual, should be on more than £2 or 3k a week.

I'd be fully in favour of a pay cap in football and everywhere else for that matter.

It won't happen. The super rich have the power and can buy policies and politicians at will. In fact, the Bushes, Blairs and Camerons are already born into the "public school elite" and we waste time pretending we have a democracy or at least that elections matter.

^^ True. Man Utd encapsulate everything that is the modern-day "super-club".

Man Utd aren't simply a "big club". Arguably, they are one of a small handful of the biggest clubs in existence at this time.

Who would want us now after the war zone last week?

Have you been living under a rock?

ENGLISH CASUALS starting the rioting, Only a minority of "Fans" from Rangers were involved.

If that was supposed to be sarcastic, I laughed hard. Southdown is right though, people around the globe did not see that incident too fondly. Image is Everything, as Andre Agassi once advocated. That sort of problem (accurate or not) hurts Rangers credibility in the global market.

The money isn't sustainable forever. When you consider the future of advertising, credit cards, the credit crunch, housing markets..it all relates back to the money used in the EPL.

Teams like Chelsea are still in extreme debt. It's not all caviar.

The money isn't sustainable forever. When you consider the future of advertising, credit cards, the credit crunch, housing markets..it all relates back to the money used in the EPL.

Teams like Chelsea are still in extreme debt. It's not all caviar.

I long to see the bailiffs outside Old Trafford.

I never said Man Utd ;)

It's just a footballing cycle. It will end eventually, but that doesn't mean every club will go out of debt. Clubs and their fans have a remarkable way of saving clubs.

I never said Man Utd ;)

It's just a footballing cycle. It will end eventually, but that doesn't mean every club will go out of debt. Clubs and their fans have a remarkable way of saving clubs.

I know but I hate Man U. Don't they have some huge debt because Glazers bought them on the never never and lumped it into the club's accounts?

Money talks and what pisses me off is the EPL is full of diddy clubs who are being handed fistfuls of cash just for being boring mid table obscurities.

Put Rangers in there with that sort of cash and the CL trophy is a definite possibility.

It's far from being 'just for' mid-table obscurity. The bottom line is the Premiership has grown to it's dominant position because millions are happy to pay a healthy premium to watch a top league.

Our problem is simple with regard to TV revenues- who the fuck wants to pay to watch Hamilton Vs St Mirren on TV? That's our league and TV companies can only pay for what's on offer.

Rangers should buy somebody like York FC and do an Airdrie/Clydebank number on them. In five - six years we would be members of the Premiership and in a situation where a club of our standing should be.

:rangers:

Fair enough about the obscene amount of money that Man Utd have won through their campaign, but it is relative to the ratio of that money that they pay in transfer fees to the likes of us. They are often paying 10's of millions for players only because the teams know they can get away with putting that kind of price on the wanted players head. If you look at the percentage of their income to players fees/wages, I'd bet that it is not far off what the likes of ourselves and the other Northern European teams use.

The real issue here is in the coaching and the use of tactics, you are not saying just because some foreign player has been bought for 20 million while another has cost 2 million that one player is 10x better than the other?

We have to capitalise on nurturing our own players from as young an age as possible, it shouldn't be a simple case of seeing the tallest player at 9 years old and forcing them to become a GK or a CB, let them play in a variety of positions so they can decide where they favour playing. An example of this is Flamini when he was with Arsenal when they were playing Real Madrid I think, he played at LB and had an absolute great game, when asked if he had played there as a youngster his reply was that it was the first time he had played there, what does that tell you? A player should be able to play in more than one position, be able to use both feet and have at the very least when playing at a half decent level be able to grasp the absolute fundamentals of the game such as wide range of passing, competent dribbling and the ability to control the ball whatever height it is played to them.

If we in Scotland don't begin to start focussing on producing players rather than the formulation of a team that has the ability to win every game at all costs at u9+ levels then we will continue to stagnate as a country that produces players a vast number of levels below our counterparts who play in the CL.

Once we start to do this then it shouldn't matter that we cannot compete financially, as we will have a team that is able to put whatever player we have on our books, into the first team and know they will be able to flourish in that position.

*Reading back, not too sure if that is appropriate for this thread or if it should be in general sports or a separate thread altogether <cr>

Rant over :rangers: