Ezequiel Garay signs for Real Madrid

And so The Whites have pipped Barcelona to the signing of arguably the best young centre half on the planet.

Racing Santander defender Ezequiel Garay is set to be announced as Real Madrid's first signing for the summer market.

Marca says the agreement has been locked away, with the young Argentina international set to put pen to paper on a six-year Real Madrid contract.

Real will pay an initial £7.5 million to Racing for Garay, which will rise to £8 million based on appearances and success. The defender is expected to gain a Spanish passport this summer.

Garay will sign in the summer but will be immmediately loaned back to Racing.

Garay is awesome. Technically excellent, very fast and unbeatable in the air. £8m is a bargain price. Scores a good amount of goals too. Him and Pepe will be awesome together from 09/10 onwards, just wish Cannavaro aka Crappavaro would retire.

Never heard of him.

Where do you guys hear about all these players? I watch every bit of footie on the TV and dont see these guys in action ever.

Football manager I would bet!!! :lol: GEEKS!

Spanish football on Sky Sports, what a brilliant signing, i wonder who will go for militos brother seeing as his team got relegated, the striker has scored a good few goals this season and will have a few after him.

Spanish football on Sky Sports, what a brilliant signing, i wonder who will go for militos brother seeing as his team got relegated, the striker has scored a good few goals this season and will have a few after him.

Barcelona seem to have distanced themselves from Milito over recent months and Guillem Balague (who is a close friend of Rafa Benitez) says that Gareth Barry will be Liverpool's only "big" signing come the start of the season.

I thought he would have been a stick on for Juve this summer but they have Amauri now so thats that. Man City are still interested but who knows whats happening there?

Personally, i think he'll go to Milan but whoever gets him will be getting a bargain for £15 million. For me, he is the best striker in the world when it comes to aerial ability.

Why exactly is the "best young centre half on the planet" going for 7.5million pounds?

Real have got an absolute bargain. However, i wouldnt be surprised if the add on's are of a far higher value than the figures being reported. The fact that Real were willing to loan him back for another season is another big incentive as Racing were desperate to keep him for their UEFA Cup challenge next season, something that many of the other clubs would not have been willing to do.

On a side note, Barcelona are expected to name the signings of Seydou Keita of Sevilla and Gerard Pique of Man Utd over the next couple of days. Both have already passed their medicals.

• 7 months later...