Look elsewhere in Europe for quality

Does anyone else feel these summer transfers should be focussed more on other European leagues? I have been reading some of these threads, and to be fair most are only rumours, but I think Rangers could have some more Euro success with Euro players.

So far Ive read about Kenny Miller, Danny Shittu, Kyle Lafferty and others. However, I think Rangers are prestigous enough (and with enough cash from the UEFA Cup) to look in other Leagues to find what we need. Something a bit different, a bit flash. Ive seen some videos and heard about Vladimir Bystrov, Jaroslav Plasil and Behrami and I cant help feeling Europe has the calibre our club deserves. I hope Walter doesnt spend too much time trawling through the Championship sides trying to find bargains, we kinda did that last year to good effect.

Granted, the summer has just begun so its early days. Does anyone else have opinions on this?

We don't have the scouting network to be made aware of players outrwith Britain.

We rely on youtube, agents and teams we play to find our players.

i quite agree with you mate.

i think we should be investing a good few millions (say 3 for example) into getting a proper scouting network.

we should also be looking at trying to bring some good prospects from europe over to murray park.

It is interesting, last season it was the same, we were being linked with a lot of players from England, and yet we signed Cousin, JCD and Cuellar, and tried to sign that Italian in January, most of it is transfer rumours but as we know the unexpected sometimes happen.

In my opinion we should be targetting the likes of Norway/Sweden/Finland etc even over as far as Russia to recruit players, they have the ability to cope with our climate as well as being technically sound and very able to move abroad and embrace foreign cultures. A brucey bonus is that we can guarentee European football every year, which should help to catch the higher end of the talent by saying you can perform for us and work your ticket to the EPL or the likes if thats the way they are inclined.

totally agree mate. we need to start getting players from these eastern european countries. I hate the tarrier cunt but if strachan can buy boruc for 600k then ther is bound to be some classy players from over there that we can take on and then sell on for a 3 or 4 million

totally agree mate. we need to start getting players from these eastern european countries. I hate the tarrier cunt but if strachan can buy boruc for 600k then ther is bound to be some classy players from over there that we can take on and then sell on for a 3 or 4 million

Have to agree with that, now that countries like Romania, Bulgaria, Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia (Sebo not included!), Slovenia etc are now in the EU we should be targeting young internationals from these countries since we have no work permit problems with them anymore. Surely we can find players there that will only cost 1-2 million that would be a good if not better than players quoted at over 5M in the Championship.

We should be scowering the Norwegian, French, Romanian, Russian, Turkish, Greek, South African, Belgian, Polish leagues etc....

The names we are getting linked to apart from Torosidid and Shittu are mediocre crap as usual. The lack of ambition, knowledge and basics at this club fucks me off big time.

We should be scowering the Norwegian, French, Romanian, Russian, Turkish, Greek, South African, Belgian, Polish leagues etc....

The names we are getting linked to apart from Torosidid and Shittu are mediocre crap as usual. The lack of ambition, knowledge and basics at this club fucks me off big time.

The player/young player of the year should be checked out in every country, they must be halfway decent.

Its about time we sorted out our scouting network. Even if we spent a £1m a year on lots of scouts it would save us money in the long run. Look at blackburn, £1.5m for morten gamst pedersen and hes a cracking player would probably cost £10-15m in todays market. Even celtic with boruc, got him for less than £1m and probably going to sell him for £10m. If we could get one or 2 players a year that we could sell on for big profits its only going to make us stronger as we will have more money to invest heavily in players.

Half these leagues are worse than ours.

England is an easy target for us, since there's so many teams that have good players in them.

England is an easy target for us, since there's so many teams that have good players in them.

Have you seen the players in these leagues tho?

Its leagues like that and at lower clubs where the likes of Eboue, Adebayor, Essien, Hleb, Drogba, Torosidis, Galitsios, Papastathopoulos, Gamst, Gomis, Feindouno, Trezeguet, Dica, Polak, Tettey, Sapara....came from and still play.

The amount of good players at lower clubs in leagues like this on the verge of moves to big teams in unreal.

Have you seen the players in these leagues tho?

Its leagues like that and at lower clubs where the likes of Eboue, Adebayor, Essien, Hleb, Drogba, Torosidis, Galitsios, Papastathopoulos, Gamst, Gomis, Feindouno, Trezeguet, Dica, Polak, Tettey, Sapara....came from and still play.

The amount of good players at lower clubs in leagues like this on the verge of moves to big teams in unreal.

I agree, this is a reason I posted this thread. There are hot prospects hidden in these leagues. Some are just as good (if not better) than in the EPL and would be cheaper too. I think some sensible signings from Europe would make us unstoppable in Scotland, Celtic wouldnt know whats hit them.

Agree as well, because of the money thrown around in the Premier League virtually every player we could get would be over-priced. We can get better quality for less money in most other leagues.

We really need a decent scouting system.

We should be looking at far more leagues. Even that lot have set up base in Eastern Europe this season... we should be doing the same.

The financial restraint in the SPL means we should be doing the sensible thing and looking beyond signing out of favour players in the most over-priced league in the world!