How many years can Wier last?

Canadaready

Richard Gough played to a high level of performance in the Premiership at the age of 39, so I don't see why Weir couldn't compete in the SPL for another couple of years beyond this season if he impresses for the next 6 months.

Ok, Gough was a better player than Weir, but the Premiership is stronger than the SPL. I certainly wouldn't want to close the door this early on Weir still being here next season. Lets see how he looks in May, and then decide.

I said in the close season that we needed our new manager (at that time PLG of course) to come in and sign up some veterans to settle our squad of inexperienced boys. Souness did the same thing, in some cases paying some pretty big fees to attract old guys like Trevor Francis to the squad. Their experience and leadership was invaluable in forming a stronger side.

I suspect Weir will easily be strong enough to play into next season and if we get 12 months out of him to strengthen our back line and have Svensson and others learn and grow, it will be well worth it.

To be honest I would rather he went at the end of the season.

We need to get a reliable centre half partnership going...one that will last us for several years...instead of chopping and changing every season or so due to retirement.

We need to need to get the nucleus of a team in place.

Seems like the guy has always kept himself is top shape. 36 isn't that old for professional athletes that take of themselves.

And Walter will play him in a role where he can succeed. Just the communication aspects of his play should keep playing for us for at least 2 years after this year.