A Squad That's Beginning to Look Good.....

JRodgA2k8

So after the highs and lows of this week at Ibrox things may finally be starting to look up. We sold our prized defender to big bucks of the Premiership however we could do nothing, Agent and Player fabricated move, we were left in the dark. The big question however is where would the money go and would this impact the squad and in what way? Well I believe we are starting to find out that it may indeed be for the benefit of the team. Big signing of the week was certainly the capture of Mendes and also the loan signing of Aaron with both Steve Davis and Maurice Edu looking to be added to the squad early next week.

So lets analyse the squad as is:

Goalkeepers

Alan McGregor has recoevered from his injury and despite some early blips in his season.....Free Kick vs FK Kaunus anyone.....he will no doubt regain his composure and become as crucial as he was up until injury stuck last season. His save against Falkirk in the first game from the Penalty Spot goes a long way to proving how pivitol he could be in this campaign and I beleive he will only improve.

Neil Alexander is a superb deputy to have and he knows he is backup, he never let us down and will be there should we need him, this position is solid.

What is required: None

Defenders

The only position we need to get sorted out. The signing of Bougherra clearly came at the right time as he just waltzed into the team fill the gap left by Carlos Cuellar. He certainly has a bit of class about him but he is still having to form a partnership, definately a permanent fixture in the team and will partner one other which at this point looks to be Weir.

Weir however this bear is unconvinced, he does get turned very easily sometimes due to his lack of pace but is definately solid, if Smith as he says signs one more centre back I would like to see Weir not play the full season but be rotated, the lack of Europe will no doubt help him through the season.

Papac has made the left back his own and the support are groing closer and closer to the big man, lets remember he is playing out of position but his transition has been excellent. He is now venturing further up the pitch and it is great to see his runs, Stevie Smith may come back but he wont get a sniff over the Papac.

That leaves RB which is a position we seem to be weak in, despite his shortcomings Broadfoot deputised there and did so again against Hearts but he isn't good enough, I feel this season is make or break for Steven Whittikar and the £2million spent on the player will have to prove something that he is a Right Back and can make the position his own but I feel he needs a run.

What is required: CB and a possible RB

Midfielders

We have strengthened, the loss of Barry has been a massive blow but we look as if we may cope now after the weekend and the incoming signings. Mendes himself adds that bit of class to the middle of the park and definately increased our possesion in the middle of the park and with some great passes and scope he will be key to our season.

Thommo is a tough tackling midfielder and never afraid to get his hands dirty, he does this well. Big season for this guy but he will no doubt pass with flying colours, Mendes in a way could be good for him.

Maurice Edu and Steven Davis will join the midfield ranks this weekend and the beginning of this week and both will be comfortable in the middle of the park. We all know what Davis gives us but I can see Smith employing him on the Right Flank where he played a good few games last season, this is a problem position for us but the signing also of the exciting spaniard Aaron gives us another option on this side. Little is known about the player in some quarters of Ibrox including myself but if he is anything like we are hearing he could be crucial.

The left side seems to be occupied by Lafferty at the moment which is a shame as the big man is definately a striker, I'd love to see him upfront but for now he is finding his feet and playing well but with DaMarkus Beasley coming back to proper fitness, if he does stay fit we definately have a proper left winger who is not afraid to take players on, has pace and can supply a cross or pass. If he stays fit look for him to be a great player for us this year.

What is required: Nothing, we are as strong as we are upfront now should Davis and Edu be confirmed

Forwards

Do I really have to say much here at all? We are covered with a sheer luxury of options at the moment but I think we can all see it being reduced through sales. Boyd and Velicka are essentially the same player with both being very much the predator, we know of Boyds scoring but his overall game lacks. Velicka seems to have a bit more to him and could supply as well as score potentially but we dont know as of yet how leathal he will be infront of goal, time will tell.

JCD and Miller are again similar players both using their pace to exploit defenders but will never have great scoring records being honest. Miller proved his worth on the right wing yesterday making a fine run and winning a penalty to clinch the game, still some Boo's but I'm sure he'll win those fans over. JCD is solid but is injury prone, he may be indeed a great impact player this season and is another option which is always great to have.

Novo again can come under a similar catergory to these two however he is a lot more clinical in front of goal, he scores some great strikes aka vs Celtic at CP and always gives his best for the club, in tough tuimes he's the player you want.

Lafferty IS A STRIKER and his movement at times when chasing the ball down shows me he could be greta if the right partnership is formed. He provides for Heally in the NI team and could be a great foil to work with Boyd and Velicka his season. But 6 into 2 is always going to be difficult to get right.

What is required: Nothing but only forming the correct partnership

Overall the squad is starting to look a lot stronger than it has in recent years with a series of options all over the park. With the signing of a solid CB before the transfer window shuts I cant see any reason why we cannot finally claim back our title this season with the January window serving only the oppurtunity to further deplete the deadwood. We have the squad now lets take our title back.

:rangers:

Im struggling to predict who will feature in our midfield this season.

Davies - Thomson - Mendes - Beasley ?

However, there's Edu, Aaron and Lafferty to consider so It'll be a tough one to call for Smith.

However, there's Edu, Aaron and Lafferty to consider so It'll be a tough one to call for Smith.

Just hope he gets it right

It's the best problem we've had in years!

Im qute glad at the amount of midfielder we will have if Davis and Edu come in!

at least now if someone is playing poorly we have players who can step in and take there place!

keeps the players on their toes and enusures they try to improve!

I think Smith is definitely going to go for the 4-5-1/4-3-3 tactic this season.

When we tried it last season we didnt have the personel to do it and we just produced turgid and ultimately boring football. Its a really effective tactic if you have the right players as the likes of Man Utd showed last season.

The only worry for me is the prospect of Davis out on the right. He just isnt a right winger and is wasted there.

I wouldnt be surprised if Thomson found himself on the bench by January.

We had a lot of players last year who lacked pace and mobility and for that reason we had to have a very rigid and regimental like style of play.

Now we have a strong backline, and with the enrgy and workrate that Thomson, Edu & Davis can bring to our midfield it will hopefully allow guys like Mendes, Aaron, Novo, Beasley and looking furthur down the line Ferguson, Nasimsith & Burke to play with that little bit more freedom where they can go and influence the game.

when everyone is fit would love to see the midfield of

beasley/lafferty fergie mendez arron? (if lives up to the hype)/davies (if not)

then that still leaves players like thompson edu and davies (potential) as cover

surely though this has to signal the end for the likes of adam daily mccllucuh . . . heres hoping anyway