RM La Liga Discussion Thread

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see Dani Alves' performance at the weekend?

Arguably the best player on the planet. There's so many good right backs out there just now, but he's just so, so far ahead of his peers at the minute. Even ahead of Maicon.

Arguably the best player on the planet. There's so many good right backs out there just now, but he's just so, so far ahead of his peers at the minute. Even ahead of Maicon.

Unfortunately I missed it but my mate was absolutely raving about it when I met him yesterday.

Any time I have seen Alves though, he has been different class. Over 10 assists too, phenomenal return for a right back.

Also, it seems Sid Lowe agrees with you (tu)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...elona-leo-messi

Unfortunately I missed it but my mate was absolutely raving about it when I met him yesterday.

Any time I have seen Alves though, he has been different class. Over 10 assists too, phenomenal return for a right back.

Another excellent article from Sid, Blyth. Cheers for sharing.

He's just incredible at the minute. There were always a few kinks in his game that needed ironed out and Guardiola done just that. He's like Bosingwa with the heart of John Terry and the attacking nouse of Frank Lampard. A player who will no doubt fall into the 'Greatest Right Back Ever?' debate in 10 years time.

It's hard to pin Alves down.

He's not just a rightback, he's about three players in one.

Really mate, he's the player that Schuster wanted Sergio Ramos to be. No disrespect to Sergio.

He's just incredible at the minute. There were always a few kinks in his game that needed ironed out and Guardiola done just that. He's like Bosingwa with the heart of John Terry and the attacking nouse of Frank Lampard. A player who will no doubt fall into the 'Greatest Right Back Ever?' debate in 10 years time.

No bother TM, Sid Lowe's articles are always worth a read. My mate who lives in Madrid hangs on his every word!

Sid is probably joint top of my 'someone to go for a pint with' list, along with Tim Vickery.

No bother TM, Sid Lowe's articles are always worth a read. My mate who lives in Madrid hangs on his every word!

Sid is probably joint top of my 'someone to go for a pint with' list, along with Tim Vickery.

You won't meet a person with a more extensive knowledge of Real Oviedo than Sid. :D

I know that many Spanish correspondants see him as an arrogant twat (his decision to break the Spanish Basketball Beijing Olympics 'slanty eye' scandal made him a lot of enemies), but i really like him. He has his finger on the pulse and he's also rich in knowledge when it comes to the history of Espana, in fact, i'm sure he done a PHD on the history of the Spanish Civil War. He's so much better than his contemporary Balague, who is now nothing more than a punditry version of Marca. He actually irratates me these days as you can tell how blatantly he seeks the 'shock' factor. Thankfully, he's treated with apathy and ridicule in most journalistic circles.

But yeah, i actually admire Tim the Vickipedia. Viciously intelligent and scarily brilliant in general. It's ashame he's got so mainstream, but he deserves it. He makes South American football 'cool' and he's almost single-handedly gave birth to the online 'talent scout' generation. He's what every young sports journalist should aspire to be like (no pressure, PG ;)) and i personally wouldn't be surprised if his incredible reporting led to a knighthood one day.

I really like Sid Lowe.

Lowe and Tim Vickery are essential reading to keep up to date with Spanish/South American football :)

Lowe was on the radio today talking about Florentino Perez and his latest claim that he will sign Messi from Barca if he's elected. Interesting stuff as per from Sid and he pretty much summed what we all know in as much that Perez is SO powerful that if he stands for election, there's no point in anyone else running against him.

Lowe was on the radio today talking about Florentino Perez and his latest claim that he will sign Messi from Barca if he's elected. Interesting stuff as per from Sid and he pretty much summed what we all know in as much that Perez is SO powerful that if he stands for election, there's no point in anyone else running against him.

The impending arrival of Perez is one of the worst kept secrets in Spanish football. Lowe was pretty much spot on with that.

What's funny is that one of his big promises is the £30M signing of Xabi Alonso. I like Xabi and he'd fit in well at Madrid, but he's also the same Xabi who Perez turned down the chance of signing for £12M when he was at Sociedad, instead opting to try and replace Makelele with Helguera, Cambiasso and then David Beckham. If ever there was an example of why he's not the full shilling, then that is it. His bias towards foreign players is ridiculous.

Is anyone going to dispute that after Ronaldo, Robben is the best winger in world football at the minute? :)

For onlookers, think of the Robben that burst onto the scene at Chelsea, double his skill and end product and you have the current Robben.

Is anyone going to dispute that after Ronaldo, Robben is the best winger in world football at the minute? :)

For onlookers, think of the Robben that burst onto the scene at Chelsea, double his skill and end product and you have the current Robben.

What about Messi?

His goal against Numancia was really good, if he can stay injury free then he could be one of the best in the world.

I just saw that Raul equalled Di Stefano's record tonight, some achievement.

He might be on fire now, but we have to remember he's made of glass and he's likely to shatter at any given moment.

When he's on form, he's something else though.

Barcelona were 1-0 down, Messi comes on and within 20 minutes, scores two cracking goals.

Marquez and Pique both got sent off at the end.

Racing Santander - 1 v 2 - Barcelona.