Reply from George Peat

Steely

Dear Del

I thank you for your email.

It was agreed several months ago that the alleged racist and sectarian singing at matches involving Rangers and Celtic would be the responsibility of the Scottish Premier League and the police.

When asked what the SFA was doing about it, I responded by saying that if these songs continued, I would arrange a meeting with the Premier League and the police to discuss any action to be taken as a new partnership with the government has been formed to deal with such issues.

The directors of both Rangers and Celtic have attempted to eradicate the singing of these songs, and I was supporting them.

I fully appreciate that songs are being sung by supporters of other clubs, and although it appears from press reports that I was only referring to Rangers supporters, that was because I was asked specifically about the 'Famine Song'.

I understand your sentiments, and I must emphasise that any meeting arranged will be to discuss all of the above and not just Rangers supporters.

It is unfortunate that it appears that this is an anti-Rangers initiative, but I can assure you that it is not, as there are other songs which you have mentioned which are grossly offensive.

Yours sincerely,

Dear Del

I thank you for your email.

It was agreed several months ago that the alleged racist and sectarian singing at matches involving Rangers and Celtic would be the responsibility of the Scottish Premier League and the police.

When asked what the SFA was doing about it, I responded by saying that if these songs continued, I would arrange a meeting with the Premier League and the police to discuss any action to be taken as a new partnership with the government has been formed to deal with such issues.

The directors of both Rangers and Celtic have attempted to eradicate the singing of these songs, and I was supporting them.

I fully appreciate that songs are being sung by supporters of other clubs, and although it appears from press reports that I was only referring to Rangers supporters, that was because I was asked specifically about the 'Famine Song'.

I understand your sentiments, and I must emphasise that any meeting arranged will be to discuss all of the above and not just Rangers supporters.

It is unfortunate that it appears that this is an anti-Rangers initiative, but I can assure you that it is not, as there are other songs which you have mentioned which are grossly offensive.

Yours sincerely,

That's entirely reasonable to me.

it will be from one of his lapdogs, he has got timothy wrote all over him, he is just giving you the party line

My thoughts are that this is one of perhaps 2 or 3 different (but still automated) emails that his secratary is sending out en-masse.

The reply I got from him seemed a very short (but personal response) and the fact he said he would reply to my email later in the week maybe tells me that he's wanting to find the time, sit down, go through it and reply.

Maybe that's me being nieve, though lol.

This is the letter I sent him:

There are some questions I would like to ask you regarding the siging of songs at football games.

1. Why is it always the Rabgers fans being criticised for the songs they sing??

2. Surely if you are turning a blind eye to the fact that Celtic sing songs about the IRA, telling h*** to go home and wanting a player shot in the head in his sleep, you are accepting these songs as ok to be sung??

3. The word h** has now been credited with being a sectarian offensive word. So why are the Celtic fans allowed to sing it??

It is of my opinion that you are being very one sided in your criticism. One would almost suggest that you are Celtic fan and so everything they sing about wanting Rangers players killed is acceptable to you.

I sincerely hope that is not the case.

I would argue that the above songs I have mentioned sung by your Celtic fans are far worse than Rangers fans singing the famine is over, why don't you go home. Surely you can see that wishing a players death by the IRA is worse. Or are you wearing blinkers to sectarian singing of Celtic supporters.

These IRA songs were sung at the recent Manchester United, Celtic match in europe, yet nothing is said or done about it.

If you are going to criticise surely it has to be more of a 50/50 than a 100/0.

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Del

it will be from one of his lapdogs, he has got timothy wrote all over him, he is just giving you the party line

My thoughts are that this is one of perhaps 2 or 3 different (but still automated) emails that his secratary is sending out en-masse.

The reply I got from him seemed a very short (but personal response) and the fact he said he would reply to my email later in the week maybe tells me that he's wanting to find the time, sit down, go through it and reply.

I don;t thinkit is automated or else he would ahve had to have known what I was sending before I sent it to say I have mentioned grossely offensive songs.

I don;t thinkit is automated or else he would ahve had to have known what I was sending before I sent it to say I have mentioned grossely offensive songs.

What a suprise. Ive just recieved the exact same e-mail... word for word. Automated alright.

Im sending him one back.

Just fired this straight back at him... not much, but at least I tried...

I see this is the exact same email 4 or 5 others recieved aswell, George.

Thanks for giving this email to one of your assistants and getting them to send it out en-masse to everyone instead of taking the time to reply personally.

What a suprise. Ive just recieved the exact same e-mail... word for word. Automated alright.

Im sending him one back.

I sent one back saying althugh he was specificaly asked about the famine song why did he not mention that songs were song by other supporters which were far worse than this song as this would show equalibrium and not portray it alll about Rangers.

I sent one back saying althugh he was specificaly asked about the famine song why did he not mention that songs were song by other supporters which were far worse than this song as this would show equalibrium and not portray it alll about Rangers.

Exactly.

The game is run by clowns.

Time will tell, but unless and until they criticize or shut down the pro IRA chants and songs and some of the other rubbish I will have absolutely no faith that this is not anything but more anti Rangers rubbish. They must demonstrate an even-handiness in all of this.