French football attacks Premier League

edranger

Tensions between the English and continental football authorities have heightened ahead of a crucial meeting of European sports ministers, with the head of the French professional game accusing Premier League clubs of "financial doping".

Ministers will meet in Biarritz this week to discuss French proposals for a change in EU law that could grant Uefa the power to impose financial controls and other powers over the English game.

Uefa and the French authorities have become concerned at the financial gulf between the Premier League and the rest of Europe, and there is a growing lobby to impose limits on the amount of debt clubs can carry.

The Premier League say the plans for a European version of the all-powerful French football regulator, the DNCG, represent an unacceptable level of interference, and chief executive Richard Scudamore dismissed the proposal as "ridiculous".

On Sunday Frederic Thiriez, the president of the Ligue de Football Professionnel, hit back, warning that the financial might of the Premier League was a threat to "sporting justice".

"Clubs that participate in the same competition must be subject to the same constraints," he said. "To counter financial doping, we propose financial fair play. It's a question of sporting justiceā€¦ if we continue with football at two speeds, which sees three English clubs in the semi-finals each season, the competition will lose its interest."

The French proposals would see Uefa given the ability to impose limits on spending, the movement of players aged under 18, to introduce quotas in club sides and influence domestic fixture calendars.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...e-Football.html

Stinks of jealousy.

It does.

At the same time though they have some valid points.

Anyone that attacks the money in English football has a very valid point, but you can't help thinking that it's so rich and powerful for a reason.

People do like it - Japanese people will watch it at 3 in the morning and that's one of the many reasons as to why they're making so much cash out of it.

Not my favourite league personally, but outwith the SPL it's definitely the most accessible.

And you do get the odd 4-4 thriller. More so if you watch Tottenham :pipe:

Anyone that attacks the money in English football has a very valid point, but you can't help thinking that it's so rich and powerful for a reason.

People do like it - Japanese people will watch it at 3 in the morning and that's one of the many reasons as to why they're making so much cash out of it.

Not my favourite league personally, but outwith the SPL it's definitely the most accessible.

If I lived in Japan I would stay up to 3 in the morning to watch it, the J-League is awful and Takeshi's Castle is considered a sport over there, the Japs are nuts.

You get the odd 4-4 thriller in every league, the EPL just hypes its games up more, christ Real Madrid concede about 4 every week and still win!

:pipe:

the french always especially dislike the english having any advantage over them

Yeah the French hate the English....

The Germans hate the English as well....

The Spanish are not too fond of them....

I dont think Scotland like them very much from what ive been told....

I see a pattern emerging :craphead:

If I lived in Japan I would stay up to 3 in the morning to watch it, the J-League is awful and Takeshi's Castle is considered a sport over there, the Japs are nuts.

You get the odd 4-4 thriller in every league, the EPL just hypes its games up more, christ Real Madrid concede about 4 every week and still win!

Takeshi's Castle is possibly the best thing ever.

I get up at 3 in the morning to watch that here :pipe:

:craphead:

Takeshi's Castle is possibly the best thing ever.

I get up at 3 in the morning to watch that here :pipe:

Have you seen the one thats similar to that, only Brian Blessed presents it dressed as a ninja?

Im not kidding either! Its fucking ace! :lol: :ninja:

Guest The Brown Brogue

I'm not sure exactly what point the french are trying to make here.

A couple years ago the leagues TV deal with Canal+ was the biggest in history, but after Canal reduced their next bid for rights due to the poor product on offer the league split the fixture calender into 'lots' to sell separately to smaller broadcasting companies and therefore maximise profits.

As for their debt comments, are/were PSG and Marseille not in massive levels of debt themselves?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦ .)

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

:2g: :2g: :2g:

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦ .)

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦Ā¦

:2g: :2g: :2g:

Like that work of art? :craphead:

No one likes a winner? :P :

Was about to say the same thing. Every one of them has been at war with England and all but Scotland lost. Germany has no excuse though, they were the agressors.

Was about to say the same thing. Every one of them has been at war with England and all but Scotland lost. Germany has no excuse though, they were the agressors.

yeah, I'm sure that's why they criticise the Premier League :lol:

Come on, all those countries hated England long before the Premier League came along. I think there tends to be a great deal of bias against British clubs from the continent. Maybe because Britain held itself aloof from Europe for so long.

Come on, all those countries hated England long before the Premier League came along. I think there tends to be a great deal of bias against British clubs from the continent. Maybe because Britain held itself aloof from Europe for so long.

Britains' choice to keep itself distanced from mainland Europe is something else than countries hating them because of wars long ago.

And get real, those countries hated England only when they were at war with them, there has never been a century old hatred from Spain or Germany towards the English.

Btw, I recall the French kicking some serious English ass during The Hundred's Year War ;)

Britains' choice to keep itself distanced from mainland Europe is something else than countries hating them because of wars long ago.

And get real, those countries hated England only when they were at war with them, there has never been a century old hatred from Spain or Germany towards the English.

Btw, I recall the French kicking some serious English ass during The Hundred's Year War ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if there was though. We know all too well in our Old Firm rivalry how things from a century ago can cause tension today. Not suggesting that these are the main reasons though was just having a laugh. :lol: the French did win out in the end but they took an ass whooping for a very long time eg Toulouse, Agincourt. Then again so did the Scots. Regardless I think there is still that sense of Britain being an insular society that holds itself apart from Europe, something which those on the continent seem to resent.

I think that has something to do with it, add to that the fact that when (Mostly the English) come over they act like they own the effing place, that doesn't really sit well with us :craphead:

Yeah English football fans don't exactly do themselves any favours with the way they act on the continent.