Setting up wireless protection

LegendofCoop

Hi guys, thought I'd check in here first as you guys are always on the ball!

I'm running a wireless connection for my son's PC upstairs, but only found out last week that the connection isn't protected, (and with SHB lurking, looking for a free connection :D ) I therefore want to get it sorted!

The setup is this: PC downstairs runs on XP. Cable modem attached by USB, with Wireless Sitecom router connected via ethernet.

PC upstairs runs on Vista with Azzure USB stick picking up wireless signal.

I'm really not that good with Vista yet, so am not sure where to look etc. I've looked under the available connections tab on my son's PC, which seems to show the connection as private. However, by chance, last week I was fixing someone's laptop & was able to connect to this network no problem!

I've checked with the wireless router and USB stick, but can't find any WEP or other key!

Anyone able to help me set this up??

Cheers

Check the manual for the router and there should be somewhere telling you where to setup a password. Usually you can go to an address like http://192.168.2.1 and access your router's settings.

Ah, right, cheers mate!

I forgot to add that the 'manual' that came with the router only gave instructions for WIndows 98se or ME!!!!

Sorry, this might sound daft, but I take it I would do this on the PC upstairs??

Holy fuck that was friggin scary!

:lol: Tried setting up the WEP security on the Vista PC a couple of hours ago...easy as fuck I thought. That's me JUST managed to get it back up & running! Had to manually configure everything myself. Entering key numbers here there & everywhere!

At least it's sorted though, cheers for the help!

usually you would use the computer connected directly to the modem. At least you have it fixed now

:lol: I tried it both ways mate. First tried it on the wee mans up stairs. That broke the net all together. Then tried it down here & it accepted the settings fine, (after 90 mins or so poking about). Then looked at the settings on the router web settings and noticed that no WEP number was installed. I entered the one that was assigned automatically & then did the same upstairs!

a bit arse before tit, but that's the way i seem to do things! :lol:

As you say, it's fixed now so that's all that atters. Have to do something similar to someone elses PC tomorrow, so at least I'll know roughly what to do!

(tu)