Leave it out

disgruntled_bear

REMEMBER that song 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover?

Well, if we left it up to the Old Firm, there’d be a 51st.

Tell her you’re off to a younger, richer, better-looking model. But she can have your spotty kid brother.

That’s the bottom line of what the Bigot Brothers have always proposed should their wish of playing in the Premiership/ European Superleague/Intergalactic Championship ever be granted.

They get rid of us like the dog muck off their shoe. Except that they keep taking a slice of the cash by entering their reserves in the EssPeeEll.

Walter Smith dredged the plan up once again this week — and there’s no doubt that looking out from the inside, it makes perfect sense.

But for me, it really would be endsville. The final, miserable confirmation that the rest of the top flight is just there to provide opposition for them and anyone else might as well not exist.

Hell will freeze over before I accept a kiss-off like that.

So let’s just hope the Devil didn’t buy his boiler from the same people as Motherwell, eh?

I’ve said for years that if Rangers and Celtic want to go, we should let them.

Can’t think of a better shot in the arm for our game than the chance of genuine competition combined with the overnight disappearance of sectarianism from our stands.

If they want to make their reserves useful, then let them and the rest of the country’s full-time clubs do deals with the part-timers and set up a nursery system.

Let Albion Rovers get the best of Parkhead’s kids on season-long loans, let Berwick get the cream of the Hearts academy, Montrose get Aberdeen’s next generation.

You’d get better standards, bigger crowds and the youngsters would get the experience they’re denied rumbling around empty grounds on Tuesday afternoons.

It’s not rocket science. But then again, nothing that needs done to sort football out is.

So, no apologies for harping on about all of this. Because I’ll keep at it until it sinks through the dim brains of those who resist any change that isn’t suitably trendy.

We need to: Cut prices. Split the gate money. Play a more attacking system. Don’t play each other as often. Give home grown talent its chance before foreigners.

The next thing in the list was going to be: Improve public relations. But hey, if we did the rest of the stuff, we’d already HAVE better public relations.

See, we get bogged down in Think Tanks and Working Groups, p**s about with talk of winter shutdowns and summer football. But the fact is that there’s nothing wrong with the basic framework of the game we have.

It’s only the people who run it who’ve made it look bad.

So there’s the starting point for it all — we take the SFA, EssPeeEll and SFL, weed out the duds, keep the good operators and form one organising body.

Don’t laugh when I talk about good operators, because there are plenty. The fact it doesn’t show is down to them sitting with their heads in their hands while the duds do all the shouting.

Oh, for two weeks on that floor of Hampden where they all live side by side yet work at odds with each other.

Where the EssPeeEll can announce the start of next season gets right in the road of Scotland’s World Cup chances.

I’d love it if someone gave me the chance to go through them like a dose of salts. To take the power away from those who shirk responsibility and whittle it down to those who can talk sense.

Right, you two whip me up a proposal on a pyramid system to be in place within five years.

You three look at a league system of 16 and 24, with teams playing each other twice.

You speak to the Co-op about moving the League Cup back to sections that’d do away with all those rip-off, half-paced friendlies.

The rest of you? Away and play with the buses.

Should the Old Firm NOT get their wish of a move away from us plebs many would say that all of the above is a non-starter. Not so.

If David Murray and Peter Lawwell had anything about them, they’d realise that their first duty is to the country their clubs have raped and pillaged for years.

They’d see that having an unbreakable grip on the game is ultimately futile, because all they do by slowly destroying everyone else is weaken themselves.

If they can’t accept that duty, if they can’t see that all the simple suggestions I’ve listed above are good for everyone involved, maybe they SHOULD get out of town.

And let’s be honest here. After that spectacle they served up on Saturday, what big league WOULDN’T want them.

Apart from the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, the Zimbabwean Third Division . . .

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2074777.ece

Deary me what an amatuerish, hate-filled article. That is the sort of piece you would find on the fans forums of the "other" SPL clubs, how that makes a national newspaper i'll never know.

Don't you just love how he uses the Bigotry argument to back up his point? The same one that gets trotted out whenever a journalist doesn't have a meaningful argument against the Old Firm moving south. The old "But you lot are Bigots, they'll never take you."

Sorry Bill, but in modern day football, money is everything. The Old Firm will open up new markets for English football, create fresh interest and make the league alot more competitive. I doubt very highly that they will be naive enough to let a few wee songs and words from the supporters cloud their vision. It's not like English fans are the most PC, friendly lot who wouldn't say a bad word to anyone. :rolleyes:

As is always the case with those opposed to the Old Firm moving to England, there is criticism and bitter rants without the tiniest hint of a constructive alternative. Are you happy for Scottish football to remain a two-horse race with little quality or money, ailing attendances and dying atmopheres?

I think not.