The Moses McNeil trophy

minstral

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pic M - wonder what that badge is ?

Was there not a thread about the badge before D'Art?

Something about a rowing club sticks in my mind but I could be wrong?

There was no definitive answer. The rowing club suggestion seemed the most plausible.

There was no definitive answer. The rowing club suggestion seemed the most plausible.

(tu) Not as senile as I thought then!!

(tu) Not as senile as I thought then!!

I have my moments bro !

Did Moses not win the cup for athletics

doh

look at my post again Manticore hit the post button by mistake

OK, the picture is of a Rangers team, I'm pretty sure it's the one that lost the 1877 SC Final (first RFC team to reach the final).

Here's the whole team:

IMG1208-1231243784.jpg

doh

OK, the picture is of a Rangers team, I'm pretty sure it's the one that lost the 1877 SC Final (first RFC team to reach the final).

Here's the whole team:

IMG1208-1231243784.jpg

What a kit, shame thats non on order anymore :lol:

doh

Here's the whole team:

IMG1208-1231243784.jpg

Yea i see how my post looks doh but i have a book and it shows the cup and a small part of the picture for the athletics side of his life

doh

Here's the whole team:

IMG1208-1231243784.jpg

....they were beaten 3-2 by Vale of Leven. (tu)

Nice pic Minstral.

doh

Here's the whole team:

IMG1208-1231243784.jpg

Nice pic Minstral.

After two replays.

doh

Here's the whole team:

IMG1208-1231243784.jpg

Nice pic Minstral.

After two replays.

Yes, two draws.

doh

Here's the whole team:

IMG1208-1231243784.jpg

Nice pic Minstral.

After two replays.

Yes, two draws.

doh..ignore that, meant to add it in original post!!

Moses, his brothers and other local lads were part of a sporting society who used to meet regularly in Garelochhead. Rowing was certainly part of their activities, but not exclusively. There are minutes attesting to this from rooms hired in the village hall. Luckily I've been able to access those minutes and have been granted permission to photograph them as part of my research into the founders and their life and times around these parts of Argyll.

I think I've mentioned this before, but when I'm done and dusted I'd love to do an article for RM presenting the findings. My goal is twofold: firstly to present a much more detailed picture regarding the founders than currently available. And secondly to try and encourage The Rangers to do something about the shameful state of the resting place of Moses McNeil himself in Rosneath cemetery.

The club had previously stated they would look into it - nothing has been done. Nothing at all.

Moses, his brothers and other local lads were part of a sporting society who used to meet regularly in Garelochhead. Rowing was certainly part of their activities, but not exclusively. There are minutes attesting to this from rooms hired in the village hall. Luckily I've been able to access those minutes and have been granted permission to photograph them as part of my research into the founders and their life and times around these parts of Argyll.

I think I've mentioned this before, but when I'm done and dusted I'd love to do an article for RM presenting the findings. My goal is twofold: firstly to present a much more detailed picture regarding the founders than currently available. And secondly to try and encourage The Rangers to do something about the shameful state of the resting place of Moses McNeil himself in Rosneath cemetery.

The club had previously stated they would look into it - nothing has been done. Nothing at all.

I'm sure if you PM The Rabbitt he will be more than happy for an article to be produced, as will the rest of us on the forum as it should make for a very interesting reading. As for the second part I'm still surprised Rangers haven't taken any action if it wasn't for Moses there wouldn't be a Rangers.

PS the trophy was for a half-mile run.