The Moses McNeil trophy

minstral

Morning all

The other day, I took it upon myself to email the Captain of Clydesdale Rowing Club to enquire about the significance of the star embelm on the shirts in the pics in this thread.

I have copied the reply below. The pic he attached to his reply is in the thread so there is no confusion regarding that. If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to go back to Chris with them.

Cheers.

I did not manage to view the photograph on the link you sent me, but I assume the

picture you are referring to is the one I have attached.

I am afraid that I cannot absolutely confirm the connection between Clydesdale ARC

and Glasgow Rangers, however older members of the club are adamant that there is

reference to Clydesdale members playing football within the minutes of committee

meetings from that time, and that the individuals mentioned did go on to play for

Rangers. Unfortunately I have never laid eyes on these minutes, and never will as

they were unfortunately destroyed many years ago.

Another issue confuses the matter in that the star you refer to is actually the

emblem of the club next door to us, Clyde ARC. So, as I said, no definitive

answers, perhaps more queries?

Regards

Chris Phillips, Captain Clydesdale ARC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all

The other day, I took it upon myself to email the Captain of Clydesdale Rowing Club to enquire about the significance of the star embelm on the shirts in the pics in this thread.

I have copied the reply below. The pic he attached to his reply is in the thread so there is no confusion regarding that. If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to go back to Chris with them.

Cheers.

I did not manage to view the photograph on the link you sent me, but I assume the

I am afraid that I cannot absolutely confirm the connection between Clydesdale ARC

and Glasgow Rangers, however older members of the club are adamant that there is

reference to Clydesdale members playing football within the minutes of committee

meetings from that time, and that the individuals mentioned did go on to play for

Rangers. Unfortunately I have never laid eyes on these minutes, and never will as

Regards

well done eastcoastbear for trying to solve the mystery. (tu)

Well spotted McB. Hmmm?

I guess chances are it would be the Clydesdale Bank Rowing club then? As the guy said some original (albeit lost) minutes mentioned our team?

Great searching though, good to see someone interested in the past of the club :P

Morning all

Cheers.

Regards

Thats a big shame that part there.

More information.

http://www.clydesdalearc.org.uk/index.php?...4&Itemid=34

Early members of the club are credited with involvement in the formation of Glasgow Rangers Football Club.

The club minutes of the time complain bitterly of the amount of football being played by members of Clydesdale to the detriment of their rowing!

Rangers acknowledge its rowing roots on a mural in Ibrox. This depicts a rowing scene on the Clyde at the Glasgow Green.

Mural in the Blue Room at Ibrox depicting Clydesdale Rowers at Glasgow Green

In 1872 the nucleus of what was to become Rangers FC, played their first match on the Flesher’s Haugh in “The Green”.

J. Allan, in his book on the history of Rangers 1873-1923 writes;

“In the summer evenings of 1873 a number of lusty, laughing lads, flushed and happy from the exhilaration of a finishing dash with the oars, could be seen hauling their craft ashore on the upper reaches of the river Clyde at the Glasgow Green. As keen then was their enthusiasm for the sport of rowing as it became in later years for the game of football; for these lads were the founders of the Rangers Football Club”

In 1873, the year of Rangers official birth, the first Scottish cup final took place.

Thats interesting, learn more and more as i read into it :)

Morning all

Cheers.

Regards

Rangers-1877-400.jpg

In reply to this mate here is something interesting;

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_F...hange-kits.html

The first pictorial evidence we have of Rangers wearing a change kit comes from 1877 (see photo left). The white jerseys carry a six-pointed star and are believed to belong to a rowing club that several Rangers' players were members of. Also of interest are the elegant hooped hose, probably made of cotton and much lighter in manufacture than the thick woolen stockings that became standard in the 1880s.

The sparse information HFK has managed to uncover to date suggests that when Rangers needed to change, they wore white shirts with their usual white knickers and home stockings until 1921.

Great pic M - wonder what that badge is ?

Was there not a thread about the badge before D'Art?

Something about a rowing club sticks in my mind but I could be wrong?

There was no definitive answer. The rowing club suggestion seemed the most plausible.

Moses, his brothers and other local lads were part of a sporting society who used to meet regularly in Garelochhead. Rowing was certainly part of their activities, but not exclusively. There are minutes attesting to this from rooms hired in the village hall. Luckily I've been able to access those minutes and have been granted permission to photograph them as part of my research into the founders and their life and times around these parts of Argyll.

I think I've mentioned this before, but when I'm done and dusted I'd love to do an article for RM presenting the findings. My goal is twofold: firstly to present a much more detailed picture regarding the founders than currently available. And secondly to try and encourage The Rangers to do something about the shameful state of the resting place of Moses McNeil himself in Rosneath cemetery.

The club had previously stated they would look into it - nothing has been done. Nothing at all.

Great stuff mate. Good on you. (tu)

If I have/find anything potentially useful to you, I'll pass it on.

Moses, his brothers and other local lads were part of a sporting society who used to meet regularly in Garelochhead. Rowing was certainly part of their activities, but not exclusively. There are minutes attesting to this from rooms hired in the village hall. Luckily I've been able to access those minutes and have been granted permission to photograph them as part of my research into the founders and their life and times around these parts of Argyll.

I think I've mentioned this before, but when I'm done and dusted I'd love to do an article for RM presenting the findings. My goal is twofold: firstly to present a much more detailed picture regarding the founders than currently available. And secondly to try and encourage The Rangers to do something about the shameful state of the resting place of Moses McNeil himself in Rosneath cemetery.

The club had previously stated they would look into it - nothing has been done. Nothing at all.

Great stuff mate. Good on you. (tu)

If I have/find anything potentially useful to you, I'll pass it on.

I can't wait to see this article (tu) should be a very interesting read.

Different star Eastcoast! More points to it on ours :)

Just noticed something mate.

The star on the oar in the top pic in post 30 (pic is from Clyde Rowing Club) is also 6 pointed, same as ours.

Given this, and what the Captain of Clydesdale Rowing Club said, I'm inclined to believe that the star on our strips is connected to Clyde Rowing Club.

I also found the following which suggests that the star has particular significance to Clyde Rowing Club in that they have a "Star" award.

http://b5.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?a...er=nialldarroch

Confused? Me too!!

Different star Eastcoast! More points to it on ours :)

Just noticed something mate.

The star on the oar in the top pic in post 30 (pic is from Clyde Rowing Club) is also 6 pointed, same as ours.

Given this, and what the Captain of Clydesdale Rowing Club said, I'm inclined to believe that the star on our strips is connected to Clyde Rowing Club.

I also found the following which suggests that the star has particular significance to Clyde Rowing Club in that they have a "Star" award.

http://b5.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?a...er=nialldarroch

Confused? Me too!!

Good spot mate!

Its a very confusing one, why would the Clydesdale Rowing Club history claim they had the founding members of Rangers in their club, when it appears that maybe it was actually Clyde Rowing Club.

Strange, but interesting! (tu)

• 2 months later...
Morning all

Cheers.

Regards

Got to have something to do with them, the only thing is the one on the Rangers outfit is six-pointed and the rowing five-pointed ? :sherlock:

A reply from John at the Clyde Rowing.

http://www.clyde-rowing.4t.com

Hi

A chap fro the daily record, who has been writing a book has been investigating this point the last two year. We were founded in 1865 and we have an early turn of the century photo which shows the rowing team in white tops and blue star. I think the number of points even matches the number in the rangers photos.

Clydesdale have never had a pointed star. Clyde would have been their fierce rivals from the get-go so they wouldnt be in similar kit. A bit like the old firm but with no religion!!!

The guy doing research found a sports newspaper of the times that specifically says the rangers players who started it came from Clyde rowing club. It wasmt just a rowing club on the clyde but "Clyde rowing club." He also looked at clydesdales committee minutes for the times and no mention is made anywhere in those books of any of the rangers names.

His conclusion was that it was Clyde not clydesdale which started it.

There would have been no religious influence, I think!!!! just guys messing about in boats. Some of the old photos show thousands packing the river bank at glasgow green to watch races. I guess pre-football, rugby etc, things must have been pretty boring for that to be the most exciting thing going.

I hope that helps

John

The team are wearing their rowing club tops in this photo! :D

mosesmcneilng.jpg

So finally we have confirmation that the stars are from a rowing club from Jim Hannah at Rangers.

Tom Vallance is definitely the one in the middle with the lion badge on his top, as far as I know he had just recently received his first Scotland cap and this is his jersey the others are wearing the Rowing Club tops and not football tops or should I say the Star is from their Rowing Club

I'm about to reply and ask which club it was for definate, but otherwise, at least now we know it was stars from the rowing club (not that we hadn't figured that out, but ya know, confirmation is good.)