How times have changed!

pauld1

Was just thinking of when rangers were linked to Seth Johnstone, typed it into google.......

Rangers track £7m hardman Johnson

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 07 June 2001

By Stephen Halliday

Rangers chairman David Murray last night confirmed that the club are interested in signing Derby County’s £7million-rated England midfielder Seth Johnson.

The combative 22-year-old player is viewed as an ideal summer recruit for Dick Advocaat as the Ibrox manager sets about rebuilding his midfield after the departures of Jorg Albertz and Tugay, with Giovanni Van Bronckhorst also expected to leave. JohnADVERTISEMENTson is on holiday, and no deal is imminent, but Advocaat is expected to pursue his interest in the Birmingham-born player before the end of the month.

"We have definitely made an inquiry about this player, but no bid has been made," said Murray. "It is totally up to Dick Advocaat whether or not we follow up that inquiry with a concrete offer for the player. We are currently looking at all our options in terms of strengthening the squad."

Murray was clearly irritated that Rangers’ interest in Johnson had been made public earlier in the day by Derby manager Jim Smith, who maintains that he would like to hold on to Johnson. But suspicion exists that the English Premiership club are seeking an auction to maximise profit on a player for whom they paid £3million to Crewe Alexandra in 1999.

"I just wonder why this story has come out," said Murray. "Has it been leaked for ulterior motives?"

Smith said: "Rangers are having a big sniff at Seth. We turned down a bid during the season. They did not want Seth immediately, but tried to reach an agreement to sign him during the summer. We said no. Rangers are coming back now, but I am keen to keep Seth. However, I realise Rangers might make a bid we’d find impossible to refuse."

Murray dismissed a report linking Rangers with a move for Austrian midfielder Markus Schopp, and another which claimed Arsenal had made a £12million offer for Ibrox captain Barry Ferguson.

"We have no interest in Schopp whatsoever," said Murray, adding: " I can categorically state there is no truth in the story claiming Arsenal made a bid for Barry Ferguson."

Ahh, Seth Johnson. Raul Tamudo apart, i can't remember a potential signing that was so dead set against signing for Rangers.

Does anyone remember this story?

When Johnson arrived at Leeds to discuss his contract, his agent wanted to hold out for £13,000 a week. Peter Ridsdale entered the room and said "Right, I'm sorry but I can only offer you thirty thousand a week". Johnson's agent uttered some exclamation of disbelief and so Ridsdale said "Alright, thirty-seven thousand then".

:D

Na nuthin has changed, the bheggars are still scum and WE ARE THE PEOPLE ! :unionflag: :sherlock:

Very true, but right now they are laughing at us, and goin for 4 in a row, thinking about that makes me feel sick!