Give youth a chance at Rangers.

Tontospal

Many of us just watched the young Hearts player come on as a sub and score a great goal to seal the tie and make himself a hero in the biggest match Hearts play, away to Hibs.

I would bet that a large percentage of those watching had the same thought as myself:

Why do we never give our young players such a chance?

Can you imagine Fleck coming on against celtc away in similar circumstances?

I can't even imagine any of our young players playing at all against St Johnstone on Tuesday.

Glen proved today why you must give young players a chance.

Many of us just watched the young Hearts player come on as a sub and score a great goal to seal the tie and make himself a hero in the biggest match Hearts play, away to Hibs.

I would bet that a large percentage of those watching had the same thought as myself:

I can't even imagine any of our young players playing at all against St Johnstone on Tuesday.

i totally agree with you except that bringing fleck on against celtic is a tad different to coming on against hibs but i agree with you in princible

they have absolutely no choice but to, they have one striker and he isnt even that good

we however have experienced players for all positions so even as much as I hate it and want to see Aaron out on the left, were gonna see adam out there or whoever from time to time

i totally agree with you except that bringing fleck on against celtic is a tad different to coming on against hibs but i agree with you in princible

Yet, everyone keeps telling me how poor a side celtc are :rolleyes:

they have absolutely no choice but to, they have one striker and he isnt even that good

we however have experienced players for all positions so even as much as I hate it and want to see Aaron out on the left, were gonna see adam out there or whoever from time to time

How do you think players get experience?

As for our experienced players like Adam - they may have appearances under their belt but how many of them have actually been good, nevermind exceptional?

As for our experienced players like Adam - they may have appearances under their belt but how many of them have actually been good, nevermind exceptional?

Loan moves

Loan moves

Like Gow, away from Rangers, or Aaron to Rangers?

Gow went to a struggling Championship side and did fantastically well with 5 goals in 17 games and a few MoTM awards.

In fact he did so well that the leading team in the Championship want to sign him yet Rangers have no interest in even giving him a chance to prove himself.

Very few Rangers players have actually benefited from loan moves in the past.

Indeed, McGregor and Adam are the only two off the top of my head who I can recall going on loan and actually getting a decent crack at the first team.

Players like Fleck would benefit much more from being given a decent run in our first team than playing for Hamilton, Partick Thistle or whoever.

As for Aaron I fail to see the point of bring in a loan player into an already oversized squad and hardly using him.

Talking about loan moves - McCormack to Doncaster has to be he strangest of all time for me. To go from scoring the goal that took Rangers in to the last 16 of the CL to playing in the 3rd division (IIRC) of England when Rangers were playing Villareal still baffles me.

I'd like to see it happen at Ibrox but it won't , we are too quick to get on players backs if they aren't consistent. Part of a young players development has to allow for mistakes for them to learn from - teams like Hearts, Hibs can let things like that slide .

We can't afford to. Simple as that.

Gow went to a struggling Championship side and did fantastically well with 5 goals in 17 games and a few MoTM awards.

In fact he did so well that the leading team in the Championship want to sign him yet Rangers have no interest in even giving him a chance to prove himself.

(tu)

(tu)

It's a good point and one I was pondering earlier.

So many players do well at 'every other club' but ours - why is this?

There is nothing wrong with given youth players a chance.

However I think a question which needs to be asked is wheter or not we as a fan base willing to accept the inconsistancy that goes hand in hand with youth?

Having seen how the majority react when we have any poor result, aswell as some of the criticism that has been thrown at guys like Adam, Namouchi, Burke & even Hutton over the past five years or so I would seriously doubt it.

I'd like to see it happen at Ibrox but it won't , we are too quick to get on players backs if they aren't consistent. Part of a young players development has to allow for mistakes for them to learn from - teams like Hearts, Hibs can let things like that slide .

We can't afford to. Simple as that.

Twisting that around it implies that our players either don't make mistakes or they are played because they can endure the crowd's reaction when they do.

Surely, part of a young player's development and assessment of his ability is seeing how they react when they do make a mistake?

I have seen experienced players go in to their shells many times when they are having a bad game.

I also think that it is an urban myth that our support don't have the patience for young players. To the contrary, I think that they would encounter such encouragement, even when they try something and it doesn't come off, that will boost their development.

I actually think we're at a point where the fans wouldn't mind a few mistakes from a youngster (as long as they don't directly cost point) in a game.

Really, if we played Aaron v St Johnstone and he gave the ball away a few times I really couldn't care less, because I've seen what he can bring to the table.

(tu)

Another interesting point is that not one journalist has questioned why Wolves want to sign Gow when his own club have no interest in using a player who has been in good form elsewhere.

I actually think we're at a point where the fans wouldn't mind a few mistakes from a youngster (as long as they don't directly cost point) in a game.

Really, if we played Aaron v St Johnstone and he gave the ball away a few times I really couldn't care less, because I've seen what he can bring to the table.

A pleyer like Aaron or Fleck should be given a run in the team over 3 to 5 consecutive games to see what they can do.

Such players aren't even getting 5 or 10 minutes over 4 games so what chance do they ahve of developing?

Same mate i would rather see a youngster making a few mistakes than our regular mob

Same mate i would rather see a youngster making a few mistakes than our regular mob

That old cliche is said as if players like Adam and McCulloch don't make mistakes.

If Aaron did make 3 mistakes v St Johnstone, it'd probably be about 6 mistakes less than we can expect from they two!

A pleyer like Aaron or Fleck should be given a run in the team over 3 to 5 consecutive games to see what they can do.

Such players aren't even getting 5 or 10 minutes over 4 games so what chance do they ahve of developing?

Exactly what i said earlier pall , our youngsters have no chance of developing we have one of the so called best youth development programs and yet theres nothing coming out of it getting a chance , Walter needs to go and he won't go unless the fans make a stand

There is nothing wrong with given youth players a chance.

However I think a question which needs to be asked is wheter or not we as a fan base willing to accept the inconsistancy that goes hand in hand with youth?

Having seen how the majority react when we have any poor result, aswell as some of the criticism that has been thrown at guys like Adam, Namouchi, Burke & even Hutton over the past five years or so I would seriously doubt it.

I think that is a very important factor in WS not playing the youth.

I remember Hutton being barracked incessantly for a season prior to his 6 months of amazing form, many fans wanted him punted, would've happily accepted fee of £1m or thereabouts then he had his run of form & he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Burke was another who suffered from fans building him up then knocking him down when his form dipped.

Fans of the old firm want sucess but want INSTANT success, if a player makes one mistake then he should be subbed, we have no patience to let youth find thier feet over a period of games.

With youth comes inexperience, they will make mistakes but they will learn, however i believe we as a support will never accept that & therefore youth, while being a great idea is one that will take along time to be accepted.