Bananas thrown at Paul Elliot?

J_RFC87

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this guy have previous ?

From his second reply he just seems to have used a reference to the old firm in an article and now regrets this as he wasn’t really talking about the football (this doesn’t detract from the fact he ahs invented something that didn’t happen)

I have sent him another reply, with evidence he is wrong, will be interested to see what he replies…….

Never heard of him before, so he probably doesn't make these kind of remarks regularly.

You may be right, he has possibly just used an example of a Celtic and Rangers player recieving abuse so as not to appear biased towards one side, but hasn't counted on the fact that some readers will actually take him to task.

That doesn't explain why is he digging himself a deeper hole by making even more unfouded accusations in his reply e-mail.

Thanks for the reply Doug.

That's a good copy/paste job but it doesn't satisfy my complaint.

I picked up on the copy/paste job he's been doing for everyone :D

At the end of my last email to him, I said;

Hopefully you accept Rangers fans have never lowered themselves to throwing bananas at Paul Elliot and there is no proof.

Thanks for your time.

I wonder if I'll be lucky to receive a reply.

Does this guy have previous ?

From his second reply he just seems to have used a reference to the old firm in an article and now regrets this as he wasn’t really talking about the football (this doesn’t detract from the fact he ahs invented something that didn’t happen)

I have sent him another reply, with evidence he is wrong, will be interested to see what he replies…….

Never heard of him before, so he probably doesn't make these kind of remarks regularly.

You may be right, he has possibly just used an example of a Celtic and Rangers player recieving abuse so as not to appear biased towards one side, but hasn't counted on the fact that some readers will actually take him to task.

That doesn't explain why is he digging himself a deeper hole by making even more unfouded accusations in his reply e-mail.

I am not making excuses for him and after two replies from him he doesn't seem to be shifting but i have given him another chance...his last.....

The club could take Gillen down if they pursued this.

The story breaches Clause 1 of the PCC code in every single way.

Is there a way we can highlight this to the relevant people at Rangers?

This man has made incorrect accusations about our fans and should therefore be pulled up for it!

This man has made incorrect accusations about our fans and should therefore be pulled up for it!

It depends on how it's looked upon by the PCC.

Is he having a go at Rangers (the institution) or Rangers' fans? That's what they'd ask.

It'd be hard for a collective such as the fans to bring a case to the table and it's something that sports writers exploit daily.

Feel free to email Jim Hannah;

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Su...er/0,,5,00.html

Has appointed a dedicated Supporters Liaison Manager Jim Hannah who communicates with supporters on a day to day basis. He can be contacted by email at jhannah@rangers.co.uk or by phone on 0141 580 8500.

Thanks for your mail.

This was an article about racism in sport and society, and you are picking up on one sentence. The background to that is well-documented evidence of Old Firm racism: two Rangers season ticket-holders had their tickets withdrawn for shouting racist remarks at Walters.

Walters had bananas hurled at him at both Parkhead and Tynecastle, possibly elsewhere, though I don't know. Elliott has referred on occasion to banana-throwing at Ibrox. Precisely which match, I don't know. But he does say the racial abuse he had experienced in Scotland was "probably worse than anywhere" in an 8-year career which embraced clubs in London, Birmingham, and Pisa.

This article was not about the Old Firm, it was about racism in any form - whether articulated by Clarkson, Prince Harry, or football fans - and about how sport has the potential to change all that. Without the ability to change, we might as well all climb back into the trees.

Regards,

Doug Gillon

I recieved a very similar reply.

Unless he has the evidence he shouldnt say we threw bananas at Paul Elliot.

"Elliott has referred on occasion to banana-throwing at Ibrox. Precisely which match, I don't know"

Well the image cant be that vivid then

Elliot is a lying bastard.

There was a link (that I can't for the life of me find, annoyingly) where he said that on his OF debut, he cost a goal and they went in at half time 2-0 down. Then after the teams came out for half time, he was going to take a corner. As he was about to take a corner he picked up one of the numerous bananas that were thrown at him and took a bite, then swung in the corner from which they scored, then went on a mazy run himself before netting the equaliser.

Edit - the story came from one of his motivational speeches

There was a link (that I can't for the life of me find, annoyingly) where he said that on his OF debut, he cost a goal and they went in at half time 2-0 down. Then after the teams came out for half time, he was going to take a corner. As he was about to take a corner he picked up one of the numerous bananas that were thrown at him and took a bite, then swung in the corner from which they scored, then went on a mazy run himself before netting the equaliser.

That story is linked in this thread , he is talking about a pisa v roma game…..

No, it's a different story. It definitely mentioned the OF game as well.

It's the exact same story in the scotsman link........

It's the exact same story in the scotsman link........

Didn't look at the Scotsman link. Anyway, it definitely mentioned it was an OF game. I'll have a more thorough search. It doesn't detract from the fact he is a lying bastard.

Guest Andypendek

Also, if I remember correctly, Elliot was the author of a distasteful incident at the Copland Road during on OF game. They had a corner, he was up for it and was making 'wanker' gestures at our fans. When they, not unnaturally, stood up and started giving him pelters he immediately pointed to Walters, as if to say 'Is it coz I is black?'

Well, no, it wasn't. It was coz you is a cretin.

I wonder if the 2 who were thrown out were involved in this incident? Wouldn't surprise me, and should show once again how dangerous a little knowledge is.

Dear Mr Macleod,

Here's a copy of my response to an earlier inquiry.

For the record, I refer to an article in August 1991, which quoted the secretaries of the PFA in both Scotland and England, plus Elliott:

The problem of racism in football north of the Border was highlighted

soon after the arrival of Mark Walters who became the first black player

top flight Scottish football when he signed for Rangers in

December 1987.

Walters was subjected to racial abuse in two of his early matches

against Celtic at Parkhead and Hearts at Tynecastle when fans threw bananas.

Following two separate incidents at Ibrox, two fans were banned and

had their season tickets removed after shouting racist remarks at

Walters.

The fans were reported to stewards by other supporters.

Paul Elliott, who was subjected to similar racial abuse after he

signed for Celtic in July 1989, went on record six months after his

signing as saying that the racial abuse he had experienced in Scotland

was ''probably worse than anywhere'' he had been during his eight-year

career with clubs in London, Birmingham, and Pisa in Italy.

Here's something further, from an exclusive interview in the Evening Times with Walters in March 2003.

Walters actually made his Rangers debut against Celtic in a Ne'rday clash in 1988.

But it was a day he would rather forget, and not just because a Frank McAvennie double gave Celtic the win.

During the game, Walters was the target of racial abuse when bananas were thrown onto the pitch.

It was a fate which also befell Elliott during his time in Scotland, and both players are dismayed that it still is happening. Only this week, Ibrox chairman John McClelland vowed to weed out those so-called fans who directed monkey noises at Bobo Balde and Momo Sylla at Parkhead on Saturday.

I didn't quote either in the article you're referring to, but there are several other references which show both clubs to have the misfortune to have some racist fans. Elliott himself refers to it.

But I suspect you are overly focussing on one sentence in a substantial article which was not about the Old Firm. It was about racism in any form - whether articulated by Clarkson, Prince Harry, or football fans - and about how sport has the potential to change all that. Without the ability to change, we might as well all climb back into the trees.

Regards,

Doug Gillon

Pretty baffling respsonse from this moron.I dont know why he insists on ramming Mark Walters facts at me.This is not the issue i was taking him up on.

Dear Mr Macleod,

Here's a copy of my response to an earlier inquiry.

For the record, I refer to an article in August 1991, which quoted the secretaries of the PFA in both Scotland and England, plus Elliott:

The problem of racism in football north of the Border was highlighted

soon after the arrival of Mark Walters who became the first black player

top flight Scottish football when he signed for Rangers in

December 1987.

Walters was subjected to racial abuse in two of his early matches

against Celtic at Parkhead and Hearts at Tynecastle when fans threw bananas.

Following two separate incidents at Ibrox, two fans were banned and

had their season tickets removed after shouting racist remarks at

Walters.

The fans were reported to stewards by other supporters.

Paul Elliott, who was subjected to similar racial abuse after he

signed for Celtic in July 1989, went on record six months after his

signing as saying that the racial abuse he had experienced in Scotland

was ''probably worse than anywhere'' he had been during his eight-year

career with clubs in London, Birmingham, and Pisa in Italy.

Here's something further, from an exclusive interview in the Evening Times with Walters in March 2003.

Walters actually made his Rangers debut against Celtic in a Ne'rday clash in 1988.

But it was a day he would rather forget, and not just because a Frank McAvennie double gave Celtic the win.

During the game, Walters was the target of racial abuse when bananas were thrown onto the pitch.

It was a fate which also befell Elliott during his time in Scotland, and both players are dismayed that it still is happening. Only this week, Ibrox chairman John McClelland vowed to weed out those so-called fans who directed monkey noises at Bobo Balde and Momo Sylla at Parkhead on Saturday.

I didn't quote either in the article you're referring to, but there are several other references which show both clubs to have the misfortune to have some racist fans. Elliott himself refers to it.

But I suspect you are overly focussing on one sentence in a substantial article which was not about the Old Firm. It was about racism in any form - whether articulated by Clarkson, Prince Harry, or football fans - and about how sport has the potential to change all that. Without the ability to change, we might as well all climb back into the trees.

Regards,

Doug Gillon

Pretty baffling respsonse from this moron.I dont know why he insists on ramming Mark Walters facts at me.This is not the issue i was taking him up on.

He's trying to spin and deflect - thats what he's doing