''Strike Me Deid If It's No True''

The Moonlighter

imqqz6.jpg

Picture the scene, it’s 1893 and Rangers were playing the heavily fancied Celtic in the final of the Glasgow Cup. Crowds had gathered outside Tom Vallance’s restaurant The Club on Paisley Road toll waiting to find out the result. Could Rangers overcome the odds and win their second ever trophy? They didn’t have to wait long for the news to filter through.......

96ng.jpg

Question is, what did the crowd start to sing?

Great find (as usual)

the question is why do you only have 1 post

Technical hitch on my part, i got a new PC installed at the weekend ,lost a lot of passwords etc and had to register again.

I'd love to be able to give you a Bond type under-cover story but it really is as boring as that.

:lol:

Technical hitch on my part, i got a new PC installed at the weekend ,lost a lot of passwords etc and had to register again.

I'd love to be able to give you a Bond type under-cover story but it really is as boring as that.

:lol:

Just as well , I thought you had a doppelganger :pipe:

imqqz6.jpg

Picture the scene, it’s 1893 and Rangers were playing the heavily fancied Celtic in the final of the Glasgow Cup. Crowds had gathered outside Tom Vallance’s restaurant The Club on Paisley Road toll waiting to find out the result. Could Rangers overcome the odds and win their second ever trophy? They didn’t have to wait long for the news to filter through.......

96ng.jpg

Question is, what did the crowd start to sing?

I am waiting for Minstral on this one... he was the young street urchin.

I remember reading my way through numerous early match reports in the Mitchell Glasgow Room some 35 years past. There were a number of mentions of the then Rangers support chorusing, 'the Bonnie Wells o'Wearie'. The last time I saw it mentioned was in a few reports on the famous 4-0 thrashing of the unwashed in the 1928 Scottish Cup final.

I remember reading my way through numerous early match reports in the Mitchell Glasgow Room some 35 years past. There were a number of mentions of the then Rangers support chorusing, 'the Bonnie Wells o'Wearie'. The last time I saw it mentioned was in a few reports on the famous 4-0 thrashing of the unwashed in the 1928 Scottish Cup final.

That would be an awesome sight imo ... 80,000 strong at Ibrox belting out this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVUsSRDjMk8

The thought of the wee ''urchin'' running all the way from Hampden to Tom Vallance's Restaurant at Paisley Road Toll ''in record time'' to tell of how the Rangers had beaten Celtic is just an absolute joy.

biggrin.gif

It is indeed. Brought a smile to my coupon (you have a habit of doing that)

When's the next tour?

Great find, and that is what our club is all about, instead of all the arguing, and fighting.

Minstral I long for the days of fitba' only talk and banter. Unfortunately between the tims and people like those on FF those days are gone.

The op is a great find indeed.

So Tom Vallance had more than one restaurant? As far as I knew already, his old restaurant The Landsdowne is now Swing bar and club on Hope Street.

It is indeed.

My colleague was actually in The Swing Club on Saturday after the game. He's taken a few pictures and spoken to the Manager. Hopefully more to report on that soon.

Here's an advert from when it was The Lansdowne.

21jvpf4.jpg

Tom also had The Metropolitan at 40 Hutchison Street where he hosted a supper to celebrate the 21st Anniversary of our first appearance in a Scottish Cup Final in 1877.

Here's the invite.

10ft02e.jpg

2cnfbs8.jpg